JackInFlorida

Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first read this treasure story in W.C. Jameson's Book "Buried Treasures of New England". It interested me as it was near where I lived for a few years and I was going back to visit. I was intending to go back and visit this year again, so I wanted to do some more research.

Story goes that Alden Culver was a farmer in West Chesterfield and was always being attacked by Indians, but was good at fighting them off. He was successful and had a stash of coins that he buried in a lock box in the woods. As he got older and more wacky, he asked an Indian friend of his to bury the box of coins with him when he died. His wife passed away, he then gave the key to his daughter. When he passed, the friend buried him with the lock box. Later, his daughter passed away and the friend buried her next to him. He had inscribed their names on a rock nearby. All this supposedly took place in the early 1800's. There is more to the story about folks that have seen the inscriptions in 1936 and later.

My research found that there was an Alden Culver in Chesterfield MA. He was born in 1840, served in the Civil War and died sometime after 1900. This puts his birth almost exactly at the death of the Alden in the story. Research of the 1820 census does not show another Alden Culver in the state.

My belief is that this story is wind. I think it is more likely that Jimmy Hoffa is buried in West Chesterfield than the box of coins.

Jack

aldenculver.jpg

Kneo

Greenie
Sep 26, 2011
Leominster, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this is an old post....

Your presumption that this legend is wind is correct. Native American attacks stopped in New England (especially Mass) long before Alan was born. What really gives this away is that it's almost silly to believe they kept attacking him and he would "fend them off". This isn't a school kid trying to get to school and fighting off some bullies, this is a man who may have "fended off one attack", but native americans were skilled at the bow and would have caught him off-guard outside, possibly working in his garden, eventually...

OLDMAN101

Jul 31, 2013
MOHAWK RIVER
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER QUICK DRAW
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES,,I FOUND THAT HEADSTONE TOO. OH WELL ON TO THE NEXT TALE. GOOD LUCK.

diverdan1

Oct 27, 2015
Mayport Florida
Detector(s) used
ground efx ,proton,several types whites etc
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
11-4-2015 5-29-50 AM.jpg More Treasure in boston, not sure where post belongs but would like to share it

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted that park over that way found a Rosie no jewelry though. Maybe time to try it again !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread