Hermit Island

OP
OP
G

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008
I see that it's not known as hermit Island these days, I beleive I picked up this story in one of the michigan ghost town books 1,2or 3.

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Im near higgins lake but I didnt know of anyone living out on that island. Is anyone out there now? Is it private or state land now?

surfin

OP
OP
G

Greg-in-MI

Apr 5, 2008
My info is limited on this island hoping to hear from some one with more knowledge on this matter

surfin

Dec 30, 2007
Grayling, MI
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Well I will ask the DNR the next time they call me what the deal is with that Island. They should know.

rocket366

Sep 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Hermit of Higgins Lake Michigan was my Grandfather Ezra Pritchard 1828-1902. He was listed as a deserter from Company F NYV in 1863, but was discharged in 64 at Norfolk, VA. There seems to have been a mix up in paperwork for his transfer to the ironworks in Norfolk at the time. After the war he settled in the Roscommon area of MI where some family had come before. His son Houghton was said to be the first born white child in the area in 1868. A tragic story in all as in 1873 he accidently shot his wife Susan with a shotgun in the leg while she was pregnant with twins. The twins were stillborn and after amputation Susan did not survive. In 1885 Ezra's son Edwin was murdered by a former logging employee Thomas Goodrow who had shot him in the head with a shotgun. This all proved to be too much for Ezra and he lived the last twenty years alone on the Flynns Island in a hunters dugout. It is written he was a kind man with kind eyes that would greet visitors gladly that came to the island check on him. For a time Flynn's Island was known as "Treasure Island" because people thought Ezra was a bounty jumper and he burried his loot there. That is a great story but the truth is Ezra was a ward of the state and was burried by the athorities in 1902 in the potters field section of the Roscommon cemetary.

Paul Pritchard
[email protected] Ezra Pritchard 2.JPG

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a very interesting story, thanks for the history. Has anyone been there since this first posted?

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are about 20 seasonal homes on the island

joetaylor

Nov 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a place on the south side of Treasure Island. I think i'm gonna need a bigger shovel !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread