UNRECOVERABLE TREASURE

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
I had a signed agreement with a old woman who said her great grandfather buried several thousand dollars in a fence line,this was suppose to have been buried in a copper cylinder,and concrete poured around it. I was working on it not knowing she had sold the property to a developer,I went out to hunt on the property and they had started dozing where I was looking,it had started raining so I looked up the bulldozer operator( I knew him) He started telling me that they had pushed out all the fence line and he had stopped for lunch,when he got off the bulldozer there was a round long concrete chunk in front of the bulldozer and he said it had a imprint of a hammer and the date 1862,I asked where it was now,and he said they had filled a deep ravine with the wire and also that concrete chunk,and leveled the ground,he said the ravine was about 20 feet deep,I talked to the developer,but he would not even consider uncovering the ravine. Now it is all covered with houses..........Ken 2006

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, someone owns the land its under now. 20' is not impossible. But get a signed agreement if it isn't under a utility or such. Does sound near impossible however.

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a signed agreement with a old woman who said her great grandfather buried several thousand dollars in a fence line,this was suppose to have been buried in a copper cylinder,and concrete poured around it. I was working on it not knowing she had sold the property to a developer,I went out to hunt on the property and they had started dozing where I was looking,it had started raining so I looked up the bulldozer operator( I knew him) He started telling me that they had pushed out all the fence line and he had stopped for lunch,when he got off the bulldozer there was a round long concrete chunk in front of the bulldozer and he said it had a imprint of a hammer and the date 1862,I asked where it was now,and he said they had filled a deep ravine with the wire and also that concrete chunk,and leveled the ground,he said the ravine was about 20 feet deep,I talked to the developer,but he would not even consider uncovering the ravine. Now it is all covered with houses..........Ken 2006

I would tell the new owners you know a secret that might be worth money and take it from there. If it is possible rent a backhoe now and go at night!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go 50-50 after expenses. Although there is probably some stupid local law against it. Plus the permits, cost of appraisal and taxes. It's always something!

OP
OP
K

Kenjmor2006

Jan 14, 2011
How many owners would I have to approach it was a long ravine ,now has houses all over

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd have to start with just one. If you can remember which area it was in that would help, but I'm not even sure a ground penetrating radar unit would go that deep.

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Where am at i see this type of hunt daily the only problem is finding the exact spot only that CAT operator has a general idea and the exact depth which am guessing is 5 to 20 feet deep it all depends on how much top soil the earthmover dumped over the area i worked on jobs like this in New York 60 years ago ...I have no idea what size a copper cylinder from 1862 would be or what it was used for any members have any ideas ??? my guess a moonshine still what that 6" to 12" in diameter to 12" to 24 " tall just a guess ....I guess it might be possible to detect only problem is all the other junk 10 tons of metal fence and who knows maybe even a few old wheels maybe even a junk car or 2 anything that in a rural farm area i guess is possible ....That CAT operator has the info of what in that ravine its hard for me to think he seen that 1862 and imprint of the hammer and he didn't check he never be a treasure hunter that for sure .....Good Luck ...

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
The more i think of this target its weight is 100 lbs to 200 lbs that matches the above moonshine still cylinder size if its over 10 feet deep with all that junk your out of luck i think ...

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Run this target and the site conditions to member... 99thpercentile... i just seen a answer in the tool shed to a thread the machines he describes might be able to find this he might know if its possible with all the possible junk around the target ....Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread