Kean Butte and Horse Thief Cache

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I never could find anything on Thomas P. Terry's listing on Kean Butte, course he is brief. Supposedly a treasure was buried here before it was used for KKK meetings. The meetings were back in around 1925 and a cross of a different type was placed on top in 1953 by a local church. Went past it today and seen the cross on top, told it is private land. The butte sits back from the road about 600 feet and appears to be no way up, even though there are sources that claim 1 or 2 narrow trails exist. What made finding anything on this one was Terry spelled the name wrong. It goes under two names, Klan Butte and Square Butte. Square Butte west of Laurel on Old Hwy. 10 is the site.
Then we took a drive to Horse Thief Cache another of Terry's listings. One has to head north out of Laurel on Buffalo Trail Rd. Once one reaches Lipp Rd around 7 miles out of town, stop and look to the southwest and there it is. Something is buried in this region according to some folks.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't seem to find it, but I know it's there on Youtube... there was a "Backroads Of Montana" episode that had one of the "buttes" by Greatfalls that has three crosses on it. On the episode they mentioned that the crosses were supposedly set up in the 20's for three priests that were killed by Blackfoot warriors.(my memory could be off on this...) You only mention one cross, I wonder if these are different buttes....I need to find that episode to watch it again lol!

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes this is a different Butte a couple of miles west of Laurel. The cross there was put up in 1953 by a minister of one of the churches. He was a KKK member.

OP
OP
T

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Now here is an article which I think could be related to the Square Butte report of a buried treasure. If this refers to todays' Park City there just might be a tie. den of thieves.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions