Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sandia Mountains Lost Treasure or Mines

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2008
    NM
    Whites MXT / Whites XL Pro / Minelab SE Pro / Sunray Pro Golds / Lesche & Wilcox diggers
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Sandia Mountains Lost Treasure or Mines

I've been looking for information concerning hidden treasure (or mines) located in the Sandia Mountains, NM. There was a story written in Lost Treasure or Treasure magazine about 20, 25 or 30 years ago, I think? What I recall in the story during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 Pueblo Indians hid or covered entrance sites to what were Spanish mines.

Anyone heard or have any leads to this legend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TC-NM
    - - Being Detecting Since '74 - -

us
    Aug 2007
    Spotsylvania, VA
    X-terra 70 Sovereign GT WolfPack
    22 times

Re: Sandia Mountains Lost Treasure or Mines

I've got an article somewhere on your question.Something about 20 mules worth of gold and silver. I'll try to find it and PM you.
    Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. Vietnam # 10 G.I Wolfpack

us
    Jun 2008
    NM
    Whites MXT / Whites XL Pro / Minelab SE Pro / Sunray Pro Golds / Lesche & Wilcox diggers
    3 times

Hey Johnnycat,

Any luck in finding the article on "20 mules of gold and silver. . ."

TC-NM

us
    Dec 2005
    nc
    Tesoro Conquistador Umax - BH Discovery 3300
    23 times

Cool post, when I was in the USAF a rock climber buddy of mine and I went in search of a mine just bellow the Sandia Peak, we found it and went in it, It didn't go very far though, it had fallen in and was kind of dangerous...
    I heard there were more mines, but never looked for them.

Check this google book link out......but keep in mind it is listed as fiction.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=zsF...um=3&ct=result
    geo
    2013 FINDS- 1897 IH, Chinese Coin? Wheat 1939
    2012 FINDS -1879 Morgan Dollar
    2011 FINDS-?
    2010 FINDS-?
    2009 FINDS-
    IH - 1889,1892,1902,04,06,07,08,07,04
    Buffalo - 1935
    Wheats -?
    Silver-1 charm
    CW Relics- a three ringer, old 1850 buckle

http://www.cafepress.com/GeoMercantileCo

Jan 2008

The story may be the Isleta Pueblo lost mine, south of Alb. Legend is the Padre thereabouts had a rich gold mine that his indians worked.
    Raiders would ambush the workers on the trail frequently thus they began to refuse to work. The Padre decided to go fetch some of the gold in there and then conceal the mine.. he was captured or killed by Apache raiders on his return way out.

us
    Aug 2007
    Spotsylvania, VA
    X-terra 70 Sovereign GT WolfPack
    22 times

Quote Originally Posted by TC-NM
    Hey Johnnycat,

TC-NM
    I looked and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw the article. I'll try and get back to you. I've been working on a stagecoach robbery West of Albuquerque and it's really tying us up.

John
    Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know. Vietnam # 10 G.I Wolfpack

Snow's Metal Detectors Tesoro, Sunray and Rods by Plugger Dealer

Dec 2006
    New Milford,CT.
    Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycat
    Quote Originally Posted by TC-NM
    Hey Johnnycat,

TC-NM
    I looked and for the life of me I can't remember where I saw the article. I'll try and get back to you. I've been working on a stagecoach robbery West of Albuquerque and it's really tying us up.

John
    John,
    Why did you go and say that about the stagecoach robbery!! Now I want to hop a plane to Albuquerque. LOL. We GOT to get together for some detecting the next time I'm out that way. Joe

us
    Seeker of lost treasure's

Oct 2005
    C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or a wrong way. Sometimes there's only one way.
    25 times

M. P. Henson told me several years ago that he did not think this one to be real.
    The way I look at it is. Do your research. And, if you believe it to be real. Go search for it.
    Roadquest
    Sometime's there's not a right way, or a wrong way.
    Sometime's there's only one way.

Where there is no economy, people will create one.

No one rule fit's all

'' 17 Tons of Gold in New Mexico " Thread started in 2005.

Cptbil

Mar 2003
    Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
    10 times

TC-NM
    Say, TC !
    I do alot of TH'ing & Prospecting in NM
    Fact is,
    Me'n "Doc" have several that we are going to "hit!" on our trip,
    This year...
    Fact is, several are in The Caballo Mnts (So. of TC)
    But!
    Back to the original subject
    I have all kinds of "leads" for the Sandia & NM Area
    Just what are you looking for?
    Something specific ?
    Or, Just general ?
    CptBil & Bugs

us
    Jun 2008
    NM
    3 times

Cptbil,

As I requested in the beginning of this topic, I'm looking for the complete story (or leads) that was in one of the "Teasure Lost" or Treasure mags of 30+ years ago. Anyone who has this article/story in one of the treasure mags, I'll be happy to purchase it at a reasonable cost.

Thanks to all for your searches,

TC-NM

Oct 2006

have you read "LOST TREASURES OF THE SANDIAS". NAMES THE FOUR MINES, APPROXIATE LOCATIONS, AND WARNINGS.....

us
    Jun 2008
    NM
    3 times

No, never heard of it. Do you happen to have name of publication, publication date and author?

TC-NM

us
    Apr 2008
    104 times

tc if you google it or parts of it you will find some of the info you seek. a blm map from i think 2003 may provide additional info.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln

us
    Master of MeteorWRONG

Dec 2012
    Albuquerque
    Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
    249 times
    Prospecting
    Sierra Madre and Sierra Ladrone are the mountains with the Gold mines... oddly both are now Wildlife refuges, and the canyon in wich the guy was found dead is closed to anyone not on the Isleta Indian Pueblo Tribal Counsil's ok to go list!

us
    Mar 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    OKM Rover C
    5 times
    Cache Hunting
    Not entirely sure about the magazine article, but I've heard many stories about the Sandia mines. What specifically are you needing to know about them? I am also researching this area currently, specifically the mining trail from Tijeras to Placitas. Together with what my friend found, we've documented around 7 to 8 Spanish trail markers in this area. One of these days shortly I hope to go all the way up to the Donkey.

I also heard about a silver mine in the area, not sure if this is the same one, where some Natives found a gringo taking silver from the crack (apparently he was using a hatchet it was so thick). The Natives asked where he got the silver, he admitted to the location, they warned him that he could keep what he carried, but if he ever came back he'd be killed. Well he spent that silver, eventually went back, and was never seen again.

This story rung true with me. Ever since I moved to Albuquerque in '85 I've always heard people say you shouldn't go hiking up in the Sandia Pueblo land as people have died up there before.

The other story that I heard about the Sandias is regarding the Peralta mines and the Isleta Pueblo. Two families, the Peraltas and Gonzales (?) were mining an area. They were going to pack up, the Gonzales packed up their mines, but left their burros for the Peraltas to use. A few days later a few stragglers stumbled into town telling a story of an Apache attack, everybody died. Apparently this created a stigma between the Peralta and Gonzales families for many generations.

Not sure if either story is true, but I do know that the big rock monuments are there, and they lead to Placitas.

Regarding the Pueblo Revolt in general, it is very much a true story. There is a small part in Bandeliers journals where the Natives unearth a spring from dozens of feet of concrete. They told him they covered this spring during the Revolt. Apparently they covered and/or changed the landscape and destroyed many of the Spanish rock monuments, so much so that when de Vargas returned they weren't able to find 1 in 10 of their old mines. ... or something like that. I heard most of these stories from others, and have yet to find actual textual verification. I'm hoping that my friends knowledge of Castillian and a perusing of the documents at UNM and Palace of Governors will give me some hard evidence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors