Lost Treasure . . . off of Pine Island, north of Duck NC

BrendanOC

Greenie
Sep 8, 2007
Hello all . . . I did a Google search for a site just like this and got lucky to find a forum on my first click. I am not a treasure hunter/metal detector myself, but you all are. And, I need your help.

Stupidly, I went swimming last Wednesday in the ocean while wearing a family heirloom - a solid gold signet ring with my family crest on it which has been passed down among my family. It was to be given to my newborn son on his 18th birthday just as it was to me. The ring slipped off my finger when I was about 10 feet offshore. I looked for it all week to obviously no avail. I am kind of hoping that if someone were to find it, they would recognize it for what it is and try to find the owner.

The ring is a flat-top, oval-shaped gold signet ring with a long-horned stag carved into the top of it. In the very unlikely occassion that there are any "treasure hunters" here that regularly search in the areas of the Outer Banks, I would love if you would contact me. Or if anyone on this Forum knows of anywhere else I should post this request, I would be much obliged. I can be reached at [email protected].

This "treasure" means more to me than any other material possession I have.

Thanks in advance.

Brendan O'Connell

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Hey Brendan, there is a Lost and Found section further down on the main page under Metal Detecting...try posting this message down there..
I don't know what the chances are of someone being able to find it, but you never know....at least they can be on the lookout for it..good luck..

OP
OP
B

BrendanOC

Greenie
Sep 8, 2007
Would you believe this ring was found today after a ten-minute search!!?? Buried 5 inches in the sand just about where I dropped it. Amazing!! Thanks to all of the "Pirates" that were involved in finding it. Means a lot!!

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for the kudo, Danny.
While I am glad the story had a happy ending for Mr. Brendan O; I continue to be astonished at how unappreciative some people can be. I have recovered dozens of rings for people over the past 35 years; but never for anyone who wrote such a plea for help as did this person. Yet, when the ring was found, he said, Thanks, I'll buy you a beer next time I come to the Outer Banks. I took time away from a planned vacation to go hunt for the ring, stopped while out of town to mail and insure the ring to him, at a cost of about $9.00... plus travel from my home to the site, etc....and still no offer to even reimburse me the lousy nine dollars...Unbelievable!....
I have about decided that the good feeling I use to get from returning lost valuables isn't what it use to be.
For every one who really seems to appreciate nowadays....there seems to pop up another Brendan O.
My buddies were betting he would send a couple hundred dollars reward, judging from his emotional story.
Would I have taken it? Hell yes!....and next time, I'll ask first.
Seaweed...

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
The same thing happened to me. I found a large mans class ring and contacted the school (J. R. Tucker High). After locating the owner, I drove from Nags Head NC to Richmond Virginia only to be met by the mother that said "Thanks". I asked if the son would write and let me know where he lost the ring. To this day I have not heard anything. I think I will just think twice also about going the extra mile.
Hey Seaweed,
I know we all jumped in as a TEAM to help this guy. I don't even drink beer. Maybe next time we can put it into a bid room or something to help with batteries/gas/time...... ::)

BeachHugger

Sep 13, 2006
We all have stories about thankless people and finding loss valuables; and many will say the right thing to do is just write it off and go on. Of course we do...but, after a while...it just doesn't seem to be worth the while, time and expense...unless, of course, one lies and keeps the valuable for himself. I wouldn't do that...I have enough lost rings....the thing I have noticed is the ones who ignore thanking you always seem to be the ones that you never meet becasue they don't live near. Problem is, they are the ones which cost you the most time, money.
I think this Brendan guy thinks we just walked out on the beach and picked up his ring like it was nothing.
In 30 minutes that day, the tide would have covered the ring. It wasn't just laying there shining in the sun.
His directions.....it's about 5 feet out in the ocean, behind the cottage...and I lost it last week. Reckon he knows the odds of finding a ring like that on the high energy Outer Banks?
Geeish.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes. I just now read this thread. Wonder if they dude still uses the same email address ... be interesting to know for someone with a specific set of skills

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions