Moonshine

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
Here in Oklahoma because of prohibition there are many sites where stills existed. Many were caught and the wreckage tells the tale. 55 gallon drums that were once full of "corn mash" sit full of axe holes. In the area between Pawhuska and Bartlesville for example, there are over twenty sites. If not possible that there is a cache at one of these sites, then at the very least there are "dropped coins" and isn't that what treasure is all about?
There is always a chance that somewhere along the cliffs and in the caves that there could be some crockware jugs with corncob plugs still full, thus allowing for "vintage rotgut"?
Bear in mind that in a prosperous operation that there might be a few small pokes of actual cash.*
Oklahoma soon got "near beer", 3.2% alcohol by volume.
We were purty mush a dry State until 1959.
i LIKE RUM.
Pirates weren't always as vicious as portrayed in the movies, human nature 101 tells me there were a bunch of drunken young men in the mix. Courage in a bottle.
If'n you'ld been makin' shine fer a bit, an' if'n you'd been samplin' the product, an' if'n you'd had a pocket fulla change, you'da tooken a nap or two. An' if'n you'da rolled around a bit in sleep, you'da spilta bit of change. Storms came up quickly here, and still do.
Don't get me wrong and don't be short with me because I am only talking potential of a minor cache or two, what I'd call a poke or two. Bear in mind the potential for certain dates and mintmarks. Add the fact that the (speculative perusal) that the condition of said walking liberty quarter is for example an M S 63. Do not dare clean that coin even on a bribe.
Is PERUSAL a word? Well if'n it ain't it is now cause'n we perused it here. I think it should be prounounced PEER-USED.
There arer so many still sites in my area, and I have years in the oilfield, that if this can't be a good placed to coinshoot then I'ld be squirrelled.

Now that this is established,

Grandma Lola taght me a word she used often.
This word is spelt "orta".
It means "should".
-bill-

* actual cash meaning necessary funds to buy copper tubing, yeast, sugar, et cetera.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Use to be a guy in a little town just east of Musgogee,about halfway to Ft Smith that had a still in his barn(1955).Good stuff.The town only had a population of about 100 or less except on saturday night when the gals from AR came over.Ahh,the memories.The shine was just like those young gals,the worse I ever had was good.Can't remember the river's name that ran along there.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was 14 or so, I couln't figure out why my driller bought a new "covey" water can every pay day.(1st & 15th) This was back in the day when water cans didn't have spigots. You tipped the can and drank out of the lid.
Anyway, dumb me finally figures out that he was transporting his shine in the open. He just put it in a covey and set it up in the carrier on the head ache rack on his pickup. If you could read the label, it was full and open for business. If not, it was drinking water. The shine would eat through the galvanized in about two weeks.
During the Sheriff election of 1962, the sheriff knocked on his door and ask my driller's 10 yr. old daughter where her daddy was. She says "He's down at the still, I take you down there."
Poor guy died in prison a year later.

OP
OP
Gooner

Gooner

Dec 23, 2010
Pawhuska, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
white's xlt
you see that is the thing. The folks getting the stuff found another source, meanwhile, the daughter became an orphan. Of course prohibition failed, but the temptation for easy income was put in place by the ones trying to prohibit us from drinking. Sometimes the cure was worse, and still is, than the disease, not always, but even "sometimes" is way too often.
-bill-

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heard there is more "cookin" going on in some of those remote areas!.....be careful :help: :icon_scratch: :notworthy:

and I don't mean Moonshine! :thumbsup:

Stmoritz

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2008
Fort Gibson Oklahoma
Heck gentleman,

We can go east of Fort Gibson, to the six mile road area, and get shine to this day, and there is an old negro gentleman at Woodall, that makes it pure as water, no sediment, lip smacking good, LOL

Adios for now, LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions