KINZUA BRIDGE CACHE , Pennsylvania

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
No problem, we all make mistakes. My dad, being a historian from nearby, would tell me stories of the bridge when I was younger. I never had the courage to walk across it at a young age. But I had no problem when I got older. It was a spectactular view from the bridge.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Man that must have been sumthin. I also came about some info that they may be talking about a restoration project. I don't know if that Included rebuilding the bridge but I can't Immagine it otherwise. Are you or have you been MDing the area for the stolen loot?

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Nope, I never have. Something no one else has mentioned is that the last nail/spike? driven into the bridge was supposed to have been made of gold. Has anyone heard of this before?

stevefox

Nov 13, 2012
Elk County, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT and I love it.
This is the bridge after it opened up again after the collapse.

image-30764141.jpg

Attachments

• image-4086452337.jpg
    image-4086452337.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 297

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great area. Rough terrain in the valley. Been there many times. Crossed the bridge in the winter...brrrrr ! May have to hike the area this year,but there are timber rattlers in the area. The new platform/lookout is cool. They have a see through floor in the center. Going to hike some interesting areas of the Allegheny National Forest this weekend. Couple of stories to chase in the Forest county and Warren areas. If it gets me out and away from cabin fever.. it's worth it.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Have always wanted to go up there and detect. From what I heard, lot of coins for luck and rings from divorces were tossed over that bridge. Can you detect beneath the bridge???

thomasloot

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original bridge was not made of wood but of iron in 1882. Due to heavier locomotives, the bridge was replaced with steel in 1900.
is it possiable to walk in following the creek,and if so is it monitored?

thomasloot

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can they stop you from following the creek into the valley?from kushequa?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A park ranger told me the land at Kushequa is on private property and the land owner won't let anyone walk to the bridge.

Kepp

Jun 18, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

I was just searching something about the lost silver because I was talking with my dad about a metal detector that I just bought. I'm visiting PA in a week so that it what started the conversation. Anyways, I grew up in Warren County which is adjacent to Mckean where the bridge is located. Saw it many times in person. It was a very majestic structure and I also believe the tallest train bridge of that kind until it fell down. If you ever visit the place be sure to check out the Zippo factory in Bradford as well. Shouldn't check out one without seeing the other. Anways, I live in Nevada and plan to check out a few areas in the valley as soon as I get back with my new MD.

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am happy to say I walked the bridge about 2 years before it fell. It was amazing!! I would love to detect the creek area below it someday. Caught lots of trout in other parts of Kinzua creek.

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived up by the KOA in Cory during the summer's. I have walked that bridge many time's. Spent many drunk night's in Bradford crusing the town for chick's with friend's. The Bridge did not just fall down. It was hit by a tornado. Like rock22 said lots of fishing. It's a site to see in the fall. Good luck hunting, that valley is a *****

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I had my time crossing the bridge, miss it

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since that day I found those jars of coins under that triangle rock I've wondered who put them there ...now I know. :icon_thumright:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since that day I found those jars of coins under that triangle rock I've wondered who put them there ...now I know. :icon_thumright:

Wow. That's crazy. Because the coins I found were in a pair of old boots. In an opening of some rocks. A porcupine also called home. :coffee2:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's crazy. Because the coins I found were in a pair of old boots. In an opening of some rocks. A porcupine also called home. :coffee2:
Yeah, I saw those but it wasn't worth fighting the porcupine for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions