OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is some more info I found online...

Since the beginning of time man has been in the constant search for
the yellow metal called GOLD. Gold has been used for monetary exchange for
centuries. In the United States gold was on the top of the list for the early
explorers when coming to the new land.

One of the first findings of gold in the U.S. by the explorers
was in South Carolina by Hernando Desoto. While he was on his trek through South Carolina
killing and looting the indians,he came upon a young indian boy that was wearing gold jewlery
and he begged for his life and told Desotos men that if they didnt kill him that he would
take them to his village where there was a lot of gold. They agreed and the boy took them to
an indian settlement near North Agusta South Carolina. When they arrived they saw
many tools and cerimonial times made from gold. In an agreement with the female
chief the gold was not taken. Desoto agreed that if she would take them to the mine where the gold was they would leave her people and gold alone. So the next day they started for upstate near the foothills of the smokey
mountains. After a day or so of travel the indian chief was able to escape while
desoto and his men were sleeping. When they awoke they searched for her but never
found her.at this time they were very close to the present town of Walhalla,S.C.
Since they had no directions to the mine Desoto and his men crossed the river and
went into upstate Georgia in the vacinity of the present town of Taccoa,Ga.

Well that trip as unproductive as it may have been had brought them into
Oconee County, South Carolina where we will start our story.

Almost 300 years later a group of German gold minners came to Oconee county
and settled a mining town known as Mayucha,s.c. this town is just an unknown piece
of the us natural forest now as time has reduced the buildings to meer dirt, the town
was never preserved by the forestry service because they didnt and to this present
time still dont want anyone to know where it is or was as they fear that people would
want to see the town and then they would have to fess up to why they didnt preserve it
as required by fedreal law. The town had many homes and a post office and many stores.
this was by no means a small town. The town exhisted until the early 1900's and
was served by motorcycle mailman during the first world war. their are still many
gold tunnels to be explored and many that have colapsed and are still holding secrets.
the tunnels may be found by going up ravines and digging down into the head of the
ravine to expose the tunnel entrance. many old tools have been found by recreational
prospectors that have opened tunnels during their exploration.

Many of the towns people went west during the 49'ers rush to california,
but some stayed behind because of the inability to finance their trip. however when the
war broke out and the president shut down all gold mining operations because gold
wasn't an essential metal for fighting the war, the rest of the mines were abandoned
and the equipment was sold for scrap metal. the towns people later moved closer to
the town of walhalla and seneca and the town was left for good.

One of the leading producing mines near the town was the Jessie Lay mine,
in 1053 was reduced to nothing by the Alexander family to build a private lake. their is
one vertical shaft and one horizontal shaft left to be seen at this site and the
tailing piles were hydrauliced flat.

In the near by town of Seneca there was a mine at Adams Mill Run that was
quite prosperous and was suppose to have a very rich vein crossing the creek that
couln't be mined out because it was underwater and there was no interest in relocating
the stream for some reason.

Then down the road into the town of Friendship there were several mines
several of the tunnels and hydraulic areas can still be seen their, this property is
now owned by Clemson University so there is no prospecting allowed.

In Clemson the John C. Calhoun mine is located about 2 miles out highway
133 towards the town of Sixmile its on the right hand side of the road before the bridge
this mine can be seen at times when the lake level is down as it fell to the demise of
the Duke Power Co. when they built the lake.

Now going to the town of Sixmile we come to Sixmile Mountain which is suppose
to be the western end of a gold vein that was found by geologist in the early 1900's
but the vein was not rich enough to mine, however the other end of the vein went
all the way to the town of Norris near highway 93.

Going into the town of Easley and going down Enon Church Road we find that their
an old open pit mine that was dug along Golden Creek, thus that creek was named for the
nuggets that were taken from the creek.

Now going into the town of Pickens we find that there was a main shaft that was
and a present business is built on top of the old shaft. Further down highway 183 we have
been informed that their is a shaft on the right side of the road just past Shady Grove Road.

Taking highway 178 out of Pickens and turning left at Scatter Brain Johnsons store
driving into the valley and across the bridge and taking the first right then going up into
the mountain we have learned about an old mining area their that still has the ore cart rails
in the area. The owners of this mine are unknown at this time.

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have really piqued my interest. I have found a few things including the article concerning the postmaster. I will have to admit I am going to continue researching this. Thanks for the info and I will post anything new that I find.

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sending you a PM.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Savannah River - Tugalo River is part of SR headwater system. Tugalo stone found and removed in 1814, but is a 3,000 year old map making stone, where ships from Europe involved with the NA metal trade could stop and make new charts by doing rubbings on the stone. Desoto was a late comer, the low hanging fruit was pretty well picked over when he arrived. Key element in his records is the "light of color" village Queen, which indicates a mix of racial stocks and subsequent lineage of rulers from this earlier racial mix. She was probably of the Apalachee tribe, which later merged with the Creek in an effort to survive the invasion of the Cherokee. Here's a link to an archaeological site about the new discoveries made of the Tugalo stone - https://www.archaeological.org/fieldnotes/newsbriefs/3116 In my opinion you guys are looking too far south east, more into the mountains is where I think the ML is, been working on this for a looooong time, but good luck in your quest.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me try that link again - https://www.archaeological.org/fieldnotes/newsbriefs/3116 - OK, can't get it to work, at least for me. Do a search for Tugalo Stone done by the Archaeological Institute of America, the article is titled - New interpretation of Petroglyph stone in Georgia (US) reveals Navigation aids from Europe to North America 3,000 years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Floristweb

Feb 21, 2015
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on the hunt... Just sharing a good treasure story... Maybe one of us TNETers will find it... ;-) But don't bet the farm on it. Do have fun and enjoy the quest... It's not the days in your life that make you happy, It is the life in your days....

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the stories. We went to Georgia last year on vacation. The Alatoona Lakes area. Supposed to be gold in a lot of the creeks there.
We had some directions to a few creeks from other prospectors, but, it was October, and the water was mostly gone from the creeks.
We still have a couple of 5 gal. buckets of gravels to go thru though.
What we have gone through didnt have any gold...:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread