Tale of stolen soldiers pay (help)

LHMN

Greenie
Oct 12, 2008
St. Paul
Detector(s) used
Ace 205
Hello all~
I've been snooping around treasure net for some time but new to this site. I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. I was wondering if anyone had information on my tale of missing gold.
I grew up near Sisseton SD and heard this story many times from my uncle. Its second hand and this is what I remember.
As the story goes my uncle lived on a farm near Lake City and Hill Head which is west of Sisseton. Over the years had many people asked for permission to search for the treasure they were all allowed until one person blasted some good pasture with dynamite. From all of these treasure seekers my uncle pieced this story together.
During the mid 1800s fort Sisseton was a small military post (not far from my uncles land) were settlers could go to secure protection during the wild time. The pay system at the time was slow and it got there when it got there. The pay that was stolen saw said to be a year salary for three posts Ft. Sisseton being the first stop. This shipment was found just a few miles from Ft. Sisseton and all that was found was nine dead soldiers and an empty wagon. They were supposedly killed by a small group of renegade Indians who buried the gold and silver pieces somewhere in the wondering hills.
As you can see the story has some holes in it and any information would be helpful. I don’t think my uncle is pulling my leg because he has metal detected many places on his property in search of it.
LH

Mad_Macz

Greenie
Feb 20, 2009
where are you located now? same area? I live in sioux falls and have access to alot of info I might be able to help? you drink coffee?

OP
OP
L

LHMN

Greenie
Oct 12, 2008
St. Paul
Detector(s) used
Ace 205
I unfortunately live in St. Cloud MN but make it back to the sisseton area about once a month. I did find something on the cache link of T-net saying that a flour sack of gold was somewhere at the bottom of long lake which boarders my uncles land. Do you have any info on that?
I do drink coffee.
Thanks
LH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread