Newton Hills SD buried Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The story goes that a United States military expedition was attacked by a band of Lakota Sioux warriors who chased the small unit to the Sargeant Creek Drainage, which now sits in the heart of the park. Out numbered and out gunned, the military expedition took a defensive position in the step drainage, and buried the cache of gold they were carrying. The unit was killed off and the gold was never recovered. Despite many searches both in and out of the park, no one has found any gold, or traces of a battle. Archeological studies have revealed other artifacts within the park. Burial mounds have been found indicating that Native Americans lived in this area starting around 300 B.C.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I just find the stories....Have no idea what the laws are from state to state....I am thinking if they were under attacked...it was buried hastily and not deep....No one survived ...so it hadto be buried along their route somewhere...could be in the park or not...dont think it was park back then...so the research lies in the route they were taking when attacked...could be in the park ....but maybe not....dont think they buried it before they were attacked...

W

wbjoe

Hi, I'm new here. I came across this site/post while doing a google search on Newton Hills. Over the weekend, I picked up an old canteen. The canteen is in an old canvas cover. The cover is marked (but some of the words are hard to make out due to fading) "Picked up at the Sham Battle at Newton Hills". It is then dated "Sept. 1912". I am guessing it is 1912 as this is also hard to make out.

Based on the aformentioned posts, I was wondering if anyone knew the date that this event had taken place with the US military and the Lakota Sioux. I am trying to find some background history on this canteen and this may be a lead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread