Two Brown County, Texas Treasure Stories

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this excerpt that I saved to my hard copy files several years ago and had forgotten about. If the $17,000 was all gold, the treasure would be valued today at over $1 million in gold melt value alone, not to mention the numismatic value of the coins if the gold was in coin form. I don't believe these two accounts have ever been shared online until now but if, by chance, you have any additional information about either or both of them, please let me know.
From: Frontier's Generation by Tevis Clyde Smith, 1931, page 54
"There is a legend to the effect that there is buried treasure on the Taber land. Years ago, George Isacks found a murdered man near the banks of the Bayou; the fellow, it is claimed, started from California with $17,000 in his saddlebags, and three ruffians on his trail. They are supposed to have killed him, and buried the money near this city. The story has all the elements of a myth; why did the three men shadow their victim 1,500 miles before doing away with him: after killing him, why did they bury the money? Two Mexicans, also, were found dead near Brownwood; they are supposed to have had a large quantity of gold with them; the murderers are said to have buried this gold because they feared pursuit. And it is claimed that men often come here to hunt for this treasure."
~Texas Jay

Seeking Apprentice History Researcher/KGC Treasure Hunter - William C. "Bloody Bill" Anderson
1882-BrownwoodCourthouseSquare.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread