Site of old German settlement near Mc Gahneysville

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The postings are vanishing! I posted a question about this place and got an answer that helped me locate the possible location!
Ref: old German settlement that was routed in the middle of the night. Probably left plenty burried in the ground! This was in the 1700's.
Probable location is: north out of Mcgahneysville on St. 647, Mcgahney La.. crossUS33, about 1 to 1 1/2 mi. past US33 there is a road take a left. go to small stream. this is the most likely spot where the settlement was. Bear in mind that there will be nothing left except the valuables in the ground. This area is the base of Massanutem Mt. Good luck and post any finds.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Rebel-KGC: I saw the old German ghost town listed in the treasure atlas. I posted a couple of questions and collected some answers. I then looked at a topo map and estimated the location of the old settlement. I figured someone in the area might want to take a look so I posted the estimated location. I am in Md so it will probably be a month or so before I can take a look. I didn't quite get the meaning of your post. Is the location correct? Has it been hunted already?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D Yo, Frankn! The ADAM MILLER house NORTH of Elkton, Va. is the ORIGINAL Germantown, and it is STILL standing... PRIVATE PROPERTY; HENCE, NO TH'ing. It was in the "FIELD" between what is now Shenandoah National Park (aka SNP), and Massenutten Mountain, where the "Ski Resort" is... NORTH of Rt. 33. The original German "settlers" from Shenandoah County & Page County (NORTH of Elkton, Va.) were "run off" by the SCOT-IRISH, who claimed today's Rockingham County, Augusta County, and "points" SOUTH of today's PAGE County, and Shenandoah County... Germans came
"down" from Pennsylvania via WARRIORS PATH/Rt. 11 & Rt. 340, of the Shenandoah Valley (aka Valley Turn Pike). Is it "hunted out"? :dontknow: My grandmother was a LONG (German) from Page
County, and told me MANY stories of the past; I was born & raised "up there", and knew the history well. If I was STILL "up there"... I would check along the banks of the Shenandoah River... between Shenandoah, and Elkton, Va. BUT! I think the railroad owns that land now... since the railroad tracks
"run" adjacent to the Shenandoah River. Railroad detectives (aka "Dicks"), are ARMED & "watching".
So be VERY careful... :o :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread