Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ola Oro,
If you look at reply #6 you will see a pix of the arch with John Hilton inside. Does this look like your arch ? According to the article they found the arch and ruins of a 2 room cabin just like you said. So I MUST agree that it is the same arch.... You found the mine where they didn't ( or chose not to say ), so it " appears " that it is the same mine....

PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oroblanco said:
5th!!!!!!! Special pleading! :icon_pale: :icon_silent: :offtheair:
Oroblanco
:coffee2: :coffee:
LOL!!!! Oro, the reason I asked you is because the picture of your arch ( from the magazine article ) looks different than the one above. Yours looks " fatter ", and I don't know of a reason a arch would ..... grow ?? The only thing I could come up with, is the you may have come in from the opposite side. So I ask ( or plead ) if you saw the cabin ruins first.... or did you see the arch first ?? In other words did you come up to the ruins and then " happen " to see the arch ?? Or did you see the arch and on the downside notice the ruins ???

PLL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
HOLA mi amigo Pegleglooker,

Pegleglooker wrote
Oro, the reason I asked you is because the picture of your arch ( from the magazine article ) looks different than the one above. Yours looks " fatter ", and I don't know of a reason a arch would ..... grow ?? The only thing I could come up with, is the you may have come in from the opposite side. So I ask ( or plead ) if you saw the cabin ruins first.... or did you see the arch first ?? In other words did you come up to the ruins and then " happen " to see the arch ?? Or did you see the arch and on the downside notice the ruins

Sheesh you are going to corner me yet amigo! I can say that we spotted the arch first, and that you can only make it out from ONE direction, when you view it from other directions it blends into the hillside extremely well. From the arch, you can see the rock walls or what is left of them. The mine is within "sight" of the ruins, but invisible. From the mine, you can see both the arch and the ruins. I hope I have not said too much now, hate to have that cast iron frying pan bounce off my thick-skulled noggin! <Good cast iron cookware is very expensive you know! ;D>

I think the arch they are shown with is a different natural arch, yet supposedly there is only one natural arch in those mountains so...? I do see that they are downhill of it, which is a different angle.
Oroblanco
:coffee2: :coffee2:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro: my esteemed friend, I do have a suggestion S H A D D U P ! he he Seriously this wouldn't be the first time that an author used another similar setting for her/his story hint, I don't think that 'they' were at the actual point, but BETH was.

Rose, Dobie and others, certainly were fabricating of actually being at Tayopa for example he he

As for the building, many hill people construct their home with two square rooms facing each other, but separated by the same distance as the rooms are square, then span the facing area with a roof. this in effect gives a cooler room between them for cooking, visiting etc. One of the orig rooms generally serves as a storage space, while the other is for sleeping.

Naturally the spanning roof will be the first to go. after the building is abandoned.

Don Jose de La Mancha

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
I thought you might find these pix interesting....

PLL

Turtle4.jpg

NAmap.jpg
Oro....Look familiar ???

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
5th! :o :-[

As an aside, yes that does look familiar - is that from Conrotto's book? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ola Senor Oro,
Yes ole pal, it is from Conrotto's book which in reality is from Desert magazine ( Conrotto's book was simply a collection of his Desert Magazine stories ). But, I also have another pix for you to reminisce with... And maybe you might let a " tidbit " of info loose
< snicker >

PLL

Turtle Sag.jpg

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
I thought I had seen that one before. :wink:

Mi compadre Pegleglooker wrote
I also have another pix for you to reminisce with... And maybe you might let a " tidbit " of info loose

The saguaro may have been in sight of the mine at one time, but when Mrs O and I were there, no saguaros were anywhere near the site. Possibly cut down, dug up and stolen maybe? I don't know, but that particular clue will not help much today. (Like some of the clues for the Lost Dutchman mine, gone.)
:thumbsup:
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Pegleglooker wrote
I think the question is... is where is this gem field ?

If you find that, you will be VERY close! Do you own any good rockhounding books? You never know what you might find tucked in there in a book written for a very different set of folks, the ones who hunt for pretty stones.

Just my opinion of course, but I think it pays for a lost mine hunter to know some prospecting techniques, basic geology and yep even rockhounding. Sometimes finding a piece of hematite will tell you more than finding carved Spanish treasure signs! :icon_thumright:
Oroblanco
:coffee2: :coffee2:

The Son

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oro
I hate to hit an old thread, but I may have some info on the arc/arch mine. If you see this please email me at [email protected]

Thanks
The Son

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread