The Lost Mines of the Desert - Part II: The Lost Arch Diggings

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
“The Lost Arch” Diggings.

from The Miner’s Guide; A Ready Handbook for the Prospector and Miner, by Horace J. West (Los Angeles: Second Edition – 1925)

Somewhere in the northern portion of the Turtle Range of mountains, a range east and south of the range designated as the Old Woman’s Mountain on the Colorado River in California, lies the Lost Arch, twice located and twice lost by the peculiar workings of Providence.

Jim Fish and his partner, a prospector who arrived in the days of the first gold rush to California, were traveling from Nevada to California in the year 1883, in an old-fashioned buckboard behind a team of stringy bay horses. They had apparently filled their barrel of water at the Colorado and continued on their slow search for hidden wealth.

For months they had been prospecting through the little-known country, stopping here and there, climbing hills and following streams through unknown ranges. Occasionally they secured sufficient game to supply them with meat. Once or twice they met with friendly Indians and bartered for dry corn and beans which were grown on the high and almost inaccessible mesas of that part of the country.

And then came the event which startled them. They had traveled two days from the Colorado when Fish happened to investigate more closely the water-supply. He had turned the barrel up and found that little fluid was forthcoming. Almost frantically he pulled out the bung. He rolled the barrel around to the opening and carefully planted beneath it a bucket. Less than two canteen measures remained.

The situation was not entirely new to a veteran in the mountains, but he at once realized the dilemma that confronted him. He waited for his partner, whose name is said to have been Crocker, through this fact has never been established, and when he came in from his trip to the adjacent hills he imparted his bad news.

Some vegetation showed on the range near at hand and it was decided to risk a day in search for the precious fluid in the gulches and canyons of the mountains.

“It’s our best chance,” said Fish to Crocker after the two had talked over the matter for hours into the night.

So early in the morning, after four or rive hours of rest, they started resolutely to the hills.

“Crocker went up one canyon while I took another, the one to the right,” remarked Fish, in the months that came after when he recounted the story to friends in San Bernardino, California.

“The main canyon deployed into a gulch on the right and I decided to follow this through the hot sun and down among the rocks so far that not a breath of air seemed to pass through the cleft. On and on I went, over stones larger than a house, around smooth and slippery boulders where water had certainly been at one time, but where then not a trace showed.

“My feet were lagging, my shins were barked and aching, for in the rush I had neglected to be careful. Turning a sudden corner in the gulch, I came upon a natural bridge that spanned the canyon. It was so odd, so regular in the outline of an arch that I could only stand and admire it. Beneath its shade, the most cooling place in the hell-hole, I found a large sandy area and there sank down to rest.

“While idly scratching the sand, its peculiarity attracted my closer attention. I got down on my knees and started to blow the dust away, and before me I had a great pocket of precious metal, gold that averaged the size of wheat grains. I filled several pockets with the heavy grains and, with all thought of thirst forgotten, hurried excitedly down the canyon to impart the news of the find to Crocker.”

Arriving at the wagon, Fish was forced to wait several hours before his partner arrived, and in that time his brain had a chance to cool. Crocker added to the coolness when he came back despairing, for he also had failed in finding water. The gold stirred little excitement in the mind. It was a case of water, and the nearest lay in the Colorado, two days back.

Gold dropped its mask of friendliness when the two prospectors started back in fevered haste and with perturbed thoughts as to the outcome. Their canteen of water had to do for two animals and two men, any of them having a thirst at the time that would have made short work of a single canteen of water.

This was doled out by the spoonful. The horses were not given a drink, their mouths being merely rubbed out with a damp cloth. They passed mile after mile of the weird sand-dunes that seemed to chase each other in serpentine waves, gray-brown, grotesque and awful dunes that fashioned forms of ghostly nothingness on nearer approach.

The blistering sun burned through their think flannel shirts; it seared the very marrow in their bones. When the fading folds of light finally gave way to the pall of darkness and the cold they were in torment. Their water was all gone and they had still a day before them. Far into the night, with its intense blue sky, its occasional stars, they plodded.

And then they staggered to a rest. Their physical beings refused further to answer their demands and their horses could scarcely drag on. So they rested.

Before morning light had thrown its rays across the desert they were up again. Today it was worse than the day before. They had lost their sense of direction. The sand seemed to engulf their feet, to reach up and clutch their legs in an endeavor to hold them. They stopped trying to drive the horses, but allowed the poor animals to stumble on ahead and followed in their tracks.

When had had just expired and everything seemed gone – the chance for wealth, the hoard of gold within the mountains and, what was more, life itself, they saw, away off, the fringe of willows. They were too tired to rush on. Instead, they both lay down and rested.

And when the finally did reach it they did not drink, but dropped into the cold, swiftly moving water at the bank and saturated every pore of their skins with the life-giving fluid. For Crocker the water had come too late. His vitality had been sapped, his nerve was gone and his system depleted of every particle of life. Nothing that Fish could do for him would bring him back to health, and instead of returning directly to the mountains of the arch, Fish was forced to go on to Ehrenberg, where Crocker was given medical attention, but despite this he died within the week of reaching there.

It was weeks before Fish recovered from the shock, and three months before he started out by himself to relocate his treasure. He thought it lay in the Old Woman’s Mountain range, not strange because of the similarity of it and the Turtle Range. He failed the first, second and third times and many other times, until he finally gave up his fruitless task, having expended the small fortune of a life’s making without finding his one great treasure.

This was not the end of the arch, however. A German prospector, whose name was thought to have been Peter Kohler, came back to corroborate the fact of the arch in the Turtle Range. It was in 1900 that he had been prospecting through the country. One day, after having climbed over a ridge, he gradually worked his way down the northern side and landed on a little mesa just above a peculiar arch. He had been a naturalist in his native land, and its strangeness made him forget all thought of gold.

He had been successful in finding several valuable claims and was going back to some settlement to find a prospector who would be willing to help in the first development of the properties he expected to obtain. Getting out of the mountains, he struck across the desert to Needles, and on the way there he fell in with a prospector by the name of John Packer.

On their first night together, with the novelty of human companionship after weeks of solitude, Kohler told many things, among them the story of the arch. He himself had never had an inkling of the wonderful deposit of gold that lay beneath its span. The story of Fish had not reached his ears and he had overlooked the opportunity of a lifetime.

Packer realized at once the importance of the discovery, but said nothing of that to Kohler. Instead he made an appointment to meet him in twenty days at Sunflower Springs with an outfit that would last for three or four months in the mountains.

Kohler continued alone to Needles and, being greatly in need of immediate cash, obtained a job on the Santa Fe. He was sent to a little station at Amboy, where considerable lumber for building and some mining timber was being shipped. His work was helping to unload it, and on the third day several heavy timbers toppled over and killed him almost instantly.

When Packer, who waited several days over the appointed time at the Sunflower Springs, did not hear from Kohler, he hurried to Needles and there heard the news of the accident. Without waiting for further word, he started out with his outfit, and for nearly ten years he has been going through the two ranges in which the arch is located without being able to find it.

to be continued…Next – “The Peg-Leg Mine.”

Further Reading:

“Lost Arch Mine. Several versions of this story exist. One popular version is that [in] 1883 a man named Amsden, with another prospector, left Needles (Calif.) on a prospecting trip thru the Sacramento & Turtle mtns. A few weeks later, Amsden arrived in Goffs alone & in pitiful condition. He was loaded with gold. A few years later, he wrote the man who helped him recover & told him that the rich gold deposit was located in the Turtle mtns. nr. the natural arch. It hasn’t been found yet.” - Karl von Muller, The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting (The Blue Book of Treasure Hunting) [Weeping Water, Nebraska: 1965].

His two primary sources were Eugene Conrotto’s first-rate Lost Desert Bonanzas (Palm Desert, California: 1963) – reprinted by Dover Publications as Lost Gold and Silver Mines of the Southwest (in a reduced format that makes Norton Allen’s 91 wonderful maps harder to read); and The Los Angeles Mirror –without an article date, however, that isn’t much to go on.

Thomas Probert’s bibliography Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the West [Berkeley, California: 1977] provides a number of probably unreliable sources (“Jack Black” – Robert F. Ames; various treasure magazine articles, etc. There is one Desert Magazine article by Walter Ford with an interesting title: “We found the Arch – but Not the Nuggets” (November 1944 – Vol. 8, #1).

This is one of the famous lost mines sought by Earl Stanley Gardner – author of the Perry Mason novels.

The Turtle Mountains are also home to “Jamison’s Lost Tub Placer” – if one can believe the writings of Mr. Black and the prolific, if not very accurate, Thomas Penfield; two Desert Magazine tales: “Old Charlie’s Lost Prospect” and “Pack Rat Joe’s Lost Mine” and some believe perhaps Peg Leg Smith’s fabled black gold nuggets.

Quien sabe?

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
What to believe: How can a reader of treasure stories know the facts from the fiction?

Thomas Penfield was a newspaper man. During his career he collected thousands of clippings dealing with lost mines, caches, and buried treasure. After his retirement from the newspaper, he used the clippings as a source for writing his books, and a basis for the stories on his TV show. His writings were mostly re-writes of articles from newspapers and other books on the subject.

Robert F. Ames wrote treasure stories under the pen name of Jack Black. Ames filled his magazine with well written rewrites of fireside tales that contained a lot of imagination, but little in the way of facts. Ames was not very honest. He ran into financial problems with his magazine, and encouraged his readers to subscribe to his new magazine. He collected thousands of dollars in subscription fees for which there was no new magazine.

The majority of all treasure stories are rewrites. The best way to research is to try and locate the original source for the story. Thomas Probert's book, "Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the West," does a pretty good job of listing articles in books and periodicals relating to famous treasure stories. In some of the more famous treasures (like the Lost Dutchman) there are pages of listings of the authors and their spin on the subject. Most of what has been written is untrue. Whatever truth there is to be found has come from those persons that have had first hand knowledge of the treasure.

Billions of dollars have been spent over the last two centuries by men chasing fictional dreams. And it will continue as men follow fireside tales to try find a mythical treasure.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
lgadbois:

Well said. One of the reasons I'm posting these old yarns is to provide readers without the breadth of your experience some background. Recently on another Topic a poster asked about the origins of many of these tales. That's one of the things I'm trying to provide.

I certainly agree with you that Mr. Ames had the business ethics of a bankrupt carnival operator (as Ross Thomas first said). He published my first magazine article and never paid me for it. Some authors - such as Bob Nesmith - did ok by trading stories for advertising space. That would not have been much help to me when I was in high school.

I'd forgotten that Mr. Ames tried to start (or claimed he was going to start) another magazine after Western Treasures - do you remember the name of the new one? Just to make it clear - to the best of my knowledge and belief the present operators of Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine have no connection - financial or otherwise - with Mr. Ames.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: Mr. Penfield was so generous with the work of other authors that Ed Bartholomew finally had to write the story of the Nelots Treasure...

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
I find this post a bit interesting, I have read a article about a modern day explorer who has found the mine and the lost arch. Since there are many different " angles " to this I wonder if anyone might have anything else to add to this ?? I mean the story above states that the mine would be on the North and Eastern end of the mountains.... as I read it. I just wish there was a little more to go on....

enjoy
PLL

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning PLL: Hint, get ORO to make you a gallon of his famous egg shell coffee, spike it with Lechuguilla, sit back, wait for the Booze to take effect, then con him into telling you of 'HIS" finding of the lost arch.

Yes, he and BETH, his wife, actually did find the ARC. The only question that remains is it 'THE' lost Arc. My bet is on ORO and BETH.

After all, how many arcs are there in that area?

Don Jose de La Mancha

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Senor,
I am aware of Oro and his find, I also think that he found THE correct lost arch. In Mitchells book he talks about how the photographer John Hilton took him right to the arch. Hilton crawled allllll over these mountains and according to him there was only one arch. Mitchell also stated even though Hilton took him to the arch he could not find the mine.....I think the question is... is where is this gem field ????

Hilton @ Turtles.jpg

PLL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Don Jose de la Mancha wrote
The only question that remains is it 'THE' lost Arc.

HAY - Mrs O (Beth) is STILL mad at me for publishing that article - she thinks I said way too much. :-[ :o We do plan to return there so I can't say where it is, but we don't have a claim on it. That in itself is a clue to the location, I will not say more on that.

As to whether it is THE lost Arch, I wish I knew for certain. We found a two-room cabin (or actually the foundation walls of it) and it was in sight of a natural arch, but no evidence of any adobe arch connecting a two-room cabin - the rooms were quite close together and looked to me to be built of stone, not adobe. The mine is rich in placer gold, but not so astonishingly rich as to make a guy wealthy in a matter of days. However it is in the 'wrong' direction from the prospectors' camp, off by 180 degrees so may well NOT be "The" Lost Arch mine. Nothing was done to conceal the mine (or cabin) it is quite difficult to see it just because of the way the brush grew and the folds of the land - even if you know where it is, you would be surprised at how difficult it is to see it. In fact I am certain that other people have passed within 200 yards of the mine, and never had a clue it was there.

If I could afford it, I would happily take both of you to visit the mine, but blindfolded of course - and you could judge for yourselves. I think you would be pleasantly surprised! I know I was.

I wish we had gotten photos of another mine Mrs O and I found in Arizona, it is another one you can stand literally ten feet away from and NOT see it - even though nothing was done to hide it. The people who don't believe that a gold or silver mine can become really "lost" have no idea how easily something like a mine can just 'vanish' into the landscape. This particular mine would make a good photo-example, as you can drive a jeep within 50 feet of it, walk within 10 feet, and NEVER see it until you peer behind a particular brushpile. You can stand over the top of the tunnel entrance, and cannot see the tunnel or any clue that there is a tunnel nearby. Old Spanish (and Mexican) mine workings very often are fairly small, with smallish openings and very little evidence around the mine of human activities - quite unlike the Anglos who followed.

One last thing - the natural arch is also tough to see until you get right up to it, it seems to blend in with the country rock - look for shadows.
Oroblanco
:coffee2:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I am glad to see you post more than just a tag on this one Roy.
You guys worked very hard to gather the intell on this one and should be the ones to set foot on it again.

I liked the article,
You can tell Beth I thought it 'Rocked'.

LOL
Thom

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
HOLA mi amigo Thom - and thank you for the kind words. It is funny how things work, you know we had just about given up on that danged mine for good but just "had" to check out one more little side canyon. Sometimes just a little bit more will do it.

How about you amigo? I know you were working one out - any new developments you can share publicly? Thank you in advance,
your friend,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Oroblanco said:
HOLA mi amigo Thom - and thank you for the kind words. It is funny how things work, you know we had just about given up on that danged mine for good but just "had" to check out one more little side canyon. Sometimes just a little bit more will do it.

How about you amigo? I know you were working one out - any new developments you can share publicly? Thank you in advance,
your friend,
Roy ~ Oroblanco

Roy,
I was looking for the last confirmed sign before the hoya.
found it and found a pretty good looking prospect hole.
Here is a photo of the prospect hole.

Attachments

• Little_Dominguez_Canyon_015 A.jpg
    Little_Dominguez_Canyon_015 A.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,208
  • Little_Dominguez_Canyon_015 A.jpg
    Little_Dominguez_Canyon_015 A.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,016

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ola Oro,
If you would like a " photographer " on your next run to this mine. I know someone.......He goes by PLL <hint hint >

PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Real,
It's kinda of tuff to talk about this subject, due tothe fact that Oro knows where it is... and we want to respect his " private " knowledge. Even if we were to guess the spot I'm sure Oro would NEVER tell..... If I were him I wouldn't either, so out of this and the respect I have for Senor Oro... I just let it go. Until winter.... and then I will take a trip out there and see what I see...

PLL

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well let's just say that my legs are NOT " agreeable " to anyone.... especially Oro. But If he is looking for help " dislodge " something in his stomach..... then my legs will surely do the trick.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PLL

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hola Amigos,

You are too much! ;D :D :laughing9: Seriously - it is quite possible that what Mrs O and I found is NOT the true Lost Arch, for one thing there was no trace of any adobe building(s) nor any arch connecting the two rooms. The tunnel was not that long (can't recall the exact length) and while it was pretty good for gold, it is not exceptionally rich. If you want to find it, there is nothing done to hide it in any way, just the natural growth has hidden it pretty well. You will know if you have found the same mine because the natural arch is in sight of it, as is the foundation/ruins of the two room stone cabin. Is it "the" Lost Arch? We like to think so, and have found nothing of recent date anywhere near it to suggest otherwise, nor did we find the iron pot full of gold supposedly buried nearby. The "real" Lost Arch may well be another mine in that same area, after all where there is gold you generally find gold mines. I can't say any more about where it is. like I said Mrs O is still ticked and thinks I said way too much.

The secret will not go to the grave with us, I can assure you that - if our kids are not interested the exact location will be made public after death. So far the kids have not shown much interest. I am hoping to have a couple of weeks to spend there next winter, but can't make any promises.

Please do continue gentlemen, I find the subject fascinating. :thumbsup:
Oroblanco
:coffee2: :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread