The Lost Mines of the Desert - Part IV: The Lost Papuan Diggings

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
THE LOST PAPUAN PLACER DIGGINGS

from The Miner’s Guide; A Ready Handbook for the Prospector and Miner, by Horace J. West (Los Angeles: Second Edition – 1925)

Papuan, last chief of a small tribe of Papago Indians, who lived during the early part of the last [i.e., the 19th] century in the mountain fastnesses of western Arizona, discovered one of the richest placer diggings in existence. In the terrific struggle with the Apaches and other hostile tribes the Papagoes had been entirely wiped out; Papuan was the last man of the tribe to escape the hostile arrows, pitfalls and traps that were laid for him. Only one tribe had treated his people favorably: the Mohave Indians.

When all hope for his people was gone, he wandered into the tribal territory of the Mohaves, which was located in what at that time is Yuma County on the Colorado River. There he took up with an old squaw, who seemed almost friendless among her people, and the two were married with all the tribal ceremonial.

The squaw was not unappreciative. She wanted to show her devotion to her lord and master, and frequently the two Indians wandered away from the remainder of the tribe for days at a time. Whenever they returned they brought with them nuggets, all they could carry, and distributed them among the other Indians and bartered with the few white traders who happened that way.

One of them, Bill McCoy, after whom the McCoy Range of mountains in Riverside County, California, is named, was running a store at Ehrenberg, a Government post; in California during 1864 and for two years later. To him came Papuan with his hoard of gold, so much that McCoy could scarcely believe his eyes. The Indian bought lavishly, traded for anything and everything that his heart desired, and in less than two years had contributed to McCoy about seventy-five thousand dollars’ worth of gold nuggets.

The trader tried every possible ingratiating method to learn the secret of his mine. He wheedled, coaxed, threatened, made big offers of beads, jewels and horses, but never could learn Papuan’s secret. He sent his men to follow him, but they were never successful in keeping the trail. The Indian eluded them.

In 1886 the Apaches carried their enmity to the Mohave Indians and by their indignities stirred them finally to battle. Papuan, a valiant warrior in his day, joined the people that had made him one of their own. He was killed, but in the rout of the Mohaves, his wife managed to escape.

The story of the gold had been wafted aboard, and about fifteen years ago [1906 – 1910] a middle-aged German of stalwart build, H.W. Hartman, arrived in Ehrenberg and began collecting the data pertaining to the placer diggings. He discovered that Papuan’s squaw was still living and his plan at once embraced her. He sought out the decimated tribe and found the squaw, now a withered old hag, and began to work upon her sympathy.

He cared for her like a son, looked after her every want and all the time tried to secure from her the location of the rich treasure-trove. For months she refused to divulge her secret, and Hartman had just about decided that all his work was vain, when one day she told him to prepare for a journey into the mountains after the treasure.

At the same time she was stricken with a severe cold. The cold became rapidly worse and finally evolved itself into pneumonia. Her death was only a matter of hours. Hartman did not lose all hope, however, for she informed him of one other who knew the secret hiding of the placer, one Chinkinnow, who to this day [1921 – 1925] is still alive.

On him Hartman lavished his attention. Chinkinnow was afraid of the spirits of those who had gone before. He demurred, refused, then half promised, and one fair day he started out with the German to show what he had seen as the adopted son of Papuan on two or three visits to the diggings. He struck out for the southwest end of the Papuan Range [misprint for Plomosa or Palen?] of mountains, came to within a few miles, then contrived to destroy the greater portion of the water-supply, and the trip had to be abandoned to hasten back to the Colorado, twenty miles away, to secure the needed fluid.

Then Chinkinnow refused absolutely to go again. Hartman went, but failed to find the diggings in the canyons and gulches that in late Summer are filled with torrents which tear through the range with perfect fury. In a few weeks they again are as dry as the desert itself. Many times the shriveled old Indian has accepted large fees to take prospectors to the place. His cunning old soul has always found a way to get out of accomplishing the feat. Always, however, as though by instinct, he has started in the same direction.

Yet prospectors have not failed entirely for their trouble. They have realized that because of the heavy wash each year the workings of old Papuan and his squaw might be entirely obliterated with the continual addition of rocks and boulders and granite to the surface of the gulch beds. With dry washers, which have just recently been invented, they have managed to make their trips pay dividends on account of the finding of other gold.

That the placer is in the mountains and not on the desert they feel certain, because of the natural concentration which occurs in a gulch or canyon. Chinkinnow has refused to give even this information, but at Ehrenberg and at Blythe, the two towns which he visits, he is always under surveillance with the hope that he may accidentally give away the secret he carries with him.

to be continued…Next: The Lost Dutch-Oven Mine.

Further Reading

This will probably be the shortest “Further Reading” section of these installments. At least it should be, because if you have gotten this far you’ve read what appears to be the primary, secondary, and tertiary source for this yarn.

Thomas Probert’s Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the West (Berkeley, California: 1977) includes some half dozen sources. However, they all directly lead back to the one you just finished reading. Eugene L. Conrotto’s Lost Desert Bonanzas (Palm Desert, California: 1963) - reprinted as Lost Gold and Silver Mines of the Southwest (New York: 1991) - includes a chapter on the Lost Papuan Diggings based on Dorothy Robertson’s Desert Magazine article “Papuan’s Lost Placer Mine” (March 1958).

She states her source was her husband, who picked up the story in Blythe, California, in 1926. The old timers in Blythe must have been faithful readers of The Miner’s Guide, because phrases in her article are word-for-word from Mr. West’s account.

Probert also cites “Shaw, V. ‘The Lost Papuan Diggings,’ in Miners Guide (publisher unknown) Los Angeles, 1924.” I believe this is a mistake, based on an article Shaw published in the Earth Science Digest (Vol. 2, No. 4, 1947). I have not seen a copy of this article in many years (it was reprinted in Johnnie Pound’s Treasure Hunter (Vol. 6, No. 4). However, we know who wrote The Miner’s Guide published in Los Angeles in the 1920’s.

Probert notes, “Some authors have placed these lost diggings in the Dome Rock Mountains of Yuma County, Arizona.” Most of the Dome Rock Mountains appear to be in La Paz County – the Castle Dome Mountains are primarily in Yuma (in either the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge or the Restricted Yuma Proving Ground). And in the Arizona chapter we find “The Lost Papago Indian Placer” near [the] old mining town of Ajo, in Western Pima County, Arizona.”

It is quite clear that Horace J. West is the source for this story, and he knew the area around Blythe and Ehrenberg (also on the Colorado River, just over the Arizona line) quite well. There are other tales of Papago Indian lost diggings, but Papuan’s gold nuggets lie in California’s McCoy Mountains. Or, perhaps, in another range considerably closer to Ehrenberg.

--- o0o ---

This is Part IV of the Lost Mines of the Desert series. Part I was posted here on December 26, 2008. Part II – “The Lost Arch” Diggings was posted January 3, 2009. Part III – The Peg-Leg Mine; Or, the God of Fury’s Black Gold Nuggets, was posted January 11, 2009, and may be found under the Lost Peg Leg Mine topic.

= 30 =

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More my friend *****. I am curious though, most indian tribes were the equal of the Apache in open fighting? The Yaqui considered them as poor cousins and second rate fighers??

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Don Jose:

A battle between Apaches and Mojaves in 1886 probably received some newspaper coverage - at least locally.

If, indeed, the Apache prevailed, perhaps it was a matter of the odds (numbers, if you will)? And the arms? The Apache may well have been better mounted and equipped.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
OB,

The chances of a battle with the Apache.......that far west in 1886, seems pretty unlikelly. It was a long way from Apache territory, and the small numbers that were off the reservation in 1886 were kinda busy.

I could, of course, be wrong.

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Cactusjumper wrote
The chances of a battle with the Apache.......that far west in 1886, seems pretty unlikelly. It was a long way from Apache territory, and the small numbers that were off the reservation in 1886 were kinda busy.

Joe you live fairly close to Phoenix right? If you should find yourself at the Phoenix public library and have the time, you could look through the AZ newspapers of 1886 to see if anything made the news. I did a quick check through the NYT and there are news bits of Apache raids and attacks 1886 but no mention of any activity that far west. However this NYT newspaper would be focused on Geronimo's band, with little coverage of small "renegade" groups. I know there were non-Reservation Apaches still 'loose' up until at least the 1930's, and (according to the source linked below) there were quite a number of hostile encounters up until then! (Ran across an article on Massai's fight in Guadelupe canyon against the 7th cav, circa 1896 - ten years after the last Apaches supposedly "surrendered" see link below.) So if the group of this story were a small "renegade" or "bronco" (non-reservation) band, it might be a trick to find a detailed record of this battle or encounter. As we don't have much detail about this "battle" it might well have been not what we would consider a 'battle' but more like a chance encounter/murder, perhaps not even at Ft Mohave.
Roy

Article on the 1896 fight
http://www.historynet.com/soldiers-vs-apaches-one-last-time-at-guadalupe-canyon.htm

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

Between 1885 and 1887, I don't believe you could call any of the Apache raids a "battle". In 1885, Ulzana/Josanie engaged in some raids with, I believe, ten warriors. They did nothing which would be considered a "battle". Pure and simple raids, as far as I recall.

In 1886, the Indian Wars were winding down, with most Apache on reservations. Once again, there were a number of raids, but no real "battles".

The last "official" raids by the Apache, which amounted to anything, took place when Gonshayee left San Carlos with a number of warriors, including the Apache Kid, and killed a few ranchers and stole some stock. For all intents and purposes, I believe that was the final curtain.

I seriously doubt that the "battle" in the story ever took place. Just another nice treasure story.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Oroblanco:

Maybe the story could be checked out "from the other direction." If, indeed, a band of Papago Indians was wiped out by the Apache, that is probably covered in some of the documented history of the Papagos. I believe they are one of the tribes that has received as least some academic attention.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
cactusjumper:

You make some excellent points regarding the reported Apache-Papago "Battle."

So, say we leave that out of the story. What remains? Unlike many lost mine yarns, we have a fairly specific source for this one. It is told by a gentleman with considerable mining experience and local knowledge. Because it is one of the lesser known tales it doesn't have the tremendous overburden or contamination present in the better-known stories - Lost Dutchman, Lost Adams, Lost Pegleg, et. al.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Cactusjumper wrote:
I seriously doubt that the "battle" in the story ever took place. Just another nice treasure story.

If the battle never happened, it should be possible to DIS-prove this one, at least whether the 'battle' ever happened.
Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Gentlemen,

In 1886, Geronimo and Naiche raided north out of Mexico into the Santa Cruz Valley. The area had not been subjected to Apache raids for many years. In late April of 1886, they rode past Nogales attacking remote ranches and wounding several people. They were followed, at a distance, by people from Nogales. Following their usual practice, the Apache avoided towns and concentrated on the easiest targets. There were between thirty and forty warriors.

Occasional raids were conducted by off-reservation Apaches into the middle of 1886.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

I have tried to research this story, and found the evidence to be very thin.....almost nonexistent. Finding Southwest treasure writers who include this story in their books is an exercise in futility. :icon_study: :(

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
cactus jumper:

I certainly agree with you that "Finding Southwest treasure writers who include this story in their books is an exercise in futility." I did my best to make that point in the "Further Reading" addendum.

The question, however, is that a good or a bad thing? Does in increase or decrease the odds that this is a true story? I'm not so sure the evidence is thin to nonexistent. I suggest the odds are good that it's a true story precisely because it hasn't been picked up and repeated over and over again...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
O.B.,

The one thing that remains, pretty much, a constant in treasure hunting, is that any tale worth repeating will be told over and over and over again. Usually, each new author will add a few new "facts" to the story, just to make it their own. The LDM is just such a case, IMHO.

I don't see any value in assuming any story is false.....when I first hear or read it. I will make some assumptions based on the historical "facts" that are presented. When I find that the "facts" don't match known history, it becomes much harder for me to accept the rest of the story at face value.

At one time I was a firm believer in Jesuit Treasure. Years of research convinced me that the stories did not match the historical facts. On the other hand, I believe it was possible that some Jesuits might have bent the rules.

In reading the history of the Apache in 1886, I find the historical facts of this particular story hard to believe. There were easier pickens much closer to Apacheria.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Joe:

I think we are in agreement regarding the Apache portion of this tale. Stripping that out of the yarn, however, doesn't appear to alter the underlying story.

Papuan obtained gold nuggets that he used to trade for goods. As long as we believe Mr. West at all, that is the basis of this particular story. As to what happened to him (ie, why he stopped doing so) really is not at the heart of the account.

I respectfully disagree with your statement that "The one thing that remains, pretty much, a constant in treasure hunting, is that any tale worth repeating will be told over and over and over again." There are far too many treasure stories that are just that - stories. The Lost Mine With the Iron Door is a classic example. So is the Vallecito State Station plant (the "Lost Mine With an Iron Stove").

Actually, I might also put the Lost Dutchman into this category.

I am aware of precisely one article in a treasure hunting magazine that directly lead to the recovery of that particular cache. Way back in January 1966, The Artifact Magazine published an article titled "Tom HIcks $600 Still Waits." The February-March 1967 issue carried an article "Tom Hicks $600 Waits No More." The titles sum up the event. A subscriber read the article, went out there, and recovered twenty-five $20, four $10 and one $5 gold pieces. OK, only $545 - not the promised $600. Still not a bad deal considering he paid fifty cents for that issue.

On the other hard, there are a large number of genuine or highly likely treasure stories that never see the light of day. Or rarely do so - such as the many leads published in Jesse Rascoe's (well, Ed Bartholomew's) fine books.

And there are reliable treasure stories published in the treasure magazines. Just not very many of them...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Cactusjumper wrote
I don't see any value in assuming any story is false.....when I first hear or read it.

Hmm, what about if we can prove a story is false? At least that would save time, money and effort for anyone who might have gone searching for a false lost treasure, right?

Old Bookaroo wrote
And there are reliable treasure stories published in the treasure magazines. Just not very many of them...

I would say that ALL published stories of lost treasures are suspect, and in many cases if a falsehood is included it can be an innocent error on the part of the author; due to such things as not researching the material quite deeply enough, a false lead was included in various sources, etc. Another common problem is "conflation" - when two different stories get confounded and confused into one, we need only look at the Lost Dutchman for a great example of this. I don't know of a single instance in which a treasure story was found to be absolutely correct in every detail. At the other end of the spectrum, I suspect that the number of treasure stories that are complete falsehoods is remarkably low, such things don't generally "grow in a vacuum" but are based on some historical incident(s).
Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
O.B.,

[I don't see any value in assuming any story is false.....when I first hear or read it. I will make some assumptions based on the historical "facts" that are presented. When I find that the "facts" don't match known history, it becomes much harder for me to accept the rest of the story at face value.]

I don't disbelieve the story, it's just a bit more suspect.

I have often wondered if my copy of "Old Arizona Treasures" had an authentic signature, since it is signed "Jesse Rascoe". Anyone know how Ed signed his books?

[There are far too many treasure stories that are just that - stories. The Lost Mine With the Iron Door is a classic example. So is the Vallecito State Station plant (the "Lost Mine With an Iron Stove").

Actually, I might also put the Lost Dutchman into this category.]

I, respecfully, must disagree but would love to see why you believe the LDM is just a story.

The story of "The Lost Papuan Placer Diggings" seems to have lain dormant from around 1866 to "1906-1910". If the LDM had the same kind of historical period of silence as the Papuan story, I would be inclined to agree with you. Is there a story of McCoy selling everything he owned, and spending it all in an attempt to find the placer? Did he, himself, search for it? Is there any documentation, from 1864-1866, mentioning the story? Do you know when the story was first mentioned in a publication?

Having followed your posting's here, I believe that if you don't know those answers........no one does.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

[Cactusjumper wrote

I don't see any value in assuming any story is false.....when I first hear or read it.

Hmm, what about if we can prove a story is false? At least that would save time, money and effort for anyone who might have gone searching for a false lost treasure, right?]

I don't see anything in my statement that disagrees with yours. It is the process of proving the story false that requires going beyond that "first" impression. I always try to do that, and that is what I am doing with this story. Attacking the "facts" is often mistaken for attacking the source, so it tends to get me in a lot of trouble. :icon_scratch:

How's global warming working for you???

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Cactusjumper wrote
How's global warming working for you???

It is remarkable, why last night it only got down to twenty below zero, when normally it should have gone down to twenty one! :thumbsup: May have to find a few palm trees to plant, if I could make a crack in the frozen ground to put them in.... :icon_jokercolor:
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread