Silver mine of Silver Run Maryland??? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Silver mine of Silver Run Maryland???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    9482 times
    Muchas gracias mi compadre Reb - but no credit is due to me, as you said this is us working together!

I will get some of that promised links posted here one of these nights, if I can remember to do it.
    Oroblanco
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

us
    Dec 2011
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm in Baltimore and I've been 'tracking' this for ages. I am part American Indian from the Susquehannah River area along the east coast. I've hiked along the stream from the Conowingo Dam downstream and go off into the woods seeking anything that might be collectible. I have come across some remains of old Indian sites, arrowheads and some silver ore rocks. I have even found some silver ore pieces like in the picture you received right in my back yard after digging out an old swimming pool about 3 feet down. I live in a very high hill area that eventually goes to the Mid Atlantic shelf out in the bay.Try to locate the Silver Run Creek or Stream. It supposedly may contain bits of silver ore washed down from the original mine, wherever it may be. Find it, and follow it as far as possible looking for anomalies of what may be a hilly humpy area covering an old mine entrance or a depression area where a mine entrance may have collapsed. Be careful and respectful of owner property. Some may let you 'search' around to see what you can come up with. Eventually, I'll work my way up there after retiring later this year. Good luck.
    P.S. Now near my home one of the largest above ground sections of the Mid Atlantic shelf is being excavated to put up some new commercial buildings. I get yelled at when I nose around the diggings because it isn't really safe. Lots of interesting stuff to explore. Multiple types of dirt, rocks and residue and some ancient trees have been dug up. They are huge, solid and black as coal. Possibly some meteorites but I need my magnet next time. Don

Jun 2007
    15090 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobradon View Post
    I'm in Baltimore and I've been 'tracking' this for ages. I am part American Indian from the Susquehannah River area along the east coast. I've hiked along the stream from the Conowingo Dam downstream and go off into the woods seeking anything that might be collectible. I have come across some remains of old Indian sites, arrowheads and some silver ore rocks. I have even found some silver ore pieces like in the picture you received right in my back yard after digging out an old swimming pool about 3 feet down. I live in a very high hill area that eventually goes to the Mid Atlantic shelf out in the bay.Try to locate the Silver Run Creek or Stream. It supposedly may contain bits of silver ore washed down from the original mine, wherever it may be. Find it, and follow it as far as possible looking for anomalies of what may be a hilly humpy area covering an old mine entrance or a depression area where a mine entrance may have collapsed. Be careful and respectful of owner property. Some may let you 'search' around to see what you can come up with. Eventually, I'll work my way up there after retiring later this year. Good luck.
    P.S. Now near my home one of the largest above ground sections of the Mid Atlantic shelf is being excavated to put up some new commercial buildings. I get yelled at when I nose around the diggings because it isn't really safe. Lots of interesting stuff to explore. Multiple types of dirt, rocks and residue and some ancient trees have been dug up. They are huge, solid and black as coal. Possibly some meteorites but I need my magnet next time. Don
    Then, there is SILVER SPRINGS, MD. HH! Good Luck!

us
    Dec 2011
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland Searcher 2 View Post
    Hello all!!!

I had to create a new screen name because its been so long since I have been on. I used to be just Maryland Searcher.

Anyways.....I recently learned of a legend about two miles from me. I live in Westminster Maryland and the old legend goes as follows.

Years ago, there was a local silversmith. Local Indians liked him and he noticed they had an overabundance of silver so he asked them to show where they got the silver. They agreed to, but only if he kept the location to himself.
    Things went well for a while until his daughter asked where he was getting the silver and he broke down and told her. He then led her to the place the mine was, but the mine was nowhere. The mine and the Indians had vanished and the "mine" has never been found since.
    I know that there is silver in at least trace amounts in the area, as are other minerals of value but I don't know if it would be true of major enough quantities to have a silver mine considering the area.

Does anyone else have any information from this area such as geologic possibilities, native Americans in the area and such
    Lancaster County, not Carroll. Click on this link and go thru entirely, clicking on internal links. Excellent article! After looking thru all the pictures, the only one that has the steel welded entrance gave me a clue to the infamous Silver Run Mine. I found this: ("You can learn more about the 300-year-old Pequea Silver Mines here") Pequea Indians also called Sushuehannock.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30803 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    The best KNOWN silver location is in Lancaster County, PA. It's called the Pequea Silver Mine. It is a park now. It's not too far from the Susquehanna River. The silver is contained in the galena that has been mined there, even by native Americans. There is a line, generally speaking, from the northern side of Washington, DC, all the way to Lancaster County, PA where native gold exists. Carroll, Baltimore and Harford County in Maryland have gold in many creeks in the northern parts of the county. York County has gold in the southern part of the County. Silver occurs in Harford with the gold in small amounts. (I had a SEM test done on a sample a few years ago.) But all of it is very, very small, with a nugget found on great occasion. The "line" goes south from Washington, DC all the way to eastern Alabama.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Jun 2007
    15090 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oroblanco View Post
    Muchas gracias mi compadre Reb - but no credit is due to me, as you said this is us working together!

I will get some of that promised links posted here one of these nights, if I can remember to do it.
    Oroblanco
    HA! Drink more "Sock Coffee"! Want one...?
    Oroblanco likes this.

us
    groundhog Tom

Jun 2020
    West Va
    Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
    175 times
    Relic Hunting
    I can't say anything about Silver but I know there was a Gold mine at Great Falls Md. If you park at the small lot by old Anglers inn and head into the wooded area you will see where they dug long pits in the ground. I beleive Union troops stationed nearby discovered gold getting water from the creek that runs down to the potomac river. Problem is, this is Federal land so Metal detecting prospecting and gold panning arent allowed . BUT those same creeks run onto private land. A freind of mine who lives near Frederick claims to know of several copper mines, all abandoned in the region. Hope this helps.
    I don't have a PHD, I got somethig better, a DD 214

Jun 2007
    15090 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FloodcityTom View Post
    I can't say anything about Silver but I know there was a Gold mine at Great Falls Md. If you park at the small lot by old Anglers inn and head into the wooded area you will see where they dug long pits in the ground. I beleive Union troops stationed nearby discovered gold getting water from the creek that runs down to the potomac river. Problem is, this is Federal land so Metal detecting prospecting and gold panning arent allowed . BUT those same creeks run onto private land. A freind of mine who lives near Frederick claims to know of several copper mines, all abandoned in the region. Hope this helps.
    Yeah, "Fed-Land" is a "NO-NO"; the Feds are protecting "something"...
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Aug 04, 2020 at 06:47 PM.
    Oroblanco likes this.

us
    groundhog Tom

Jun 2020
    West Va
    Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
    175 times
    Relic Hunting
    Correct!...In this case the area is part of the historic C&O canal...who knows what else.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    I don't have a PHD, I got somethig better, a DD 214

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links