Jun 15, 2007

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't say anything about Silver but I know there was a Gold mine at Great Falls Md. If you park at the small lot by old Anglers inn and head into the wooded area you will see where they dug long pits in the ground. I beleive Union troops stationed nearby discovered gold getting water from the creek that runs down to the potomac river. Problem is, this is Federal land so Metal detecting prospecting and gold panning arent allowed . BUT those same creeks run onto private land. A freind of mine who lives near Frederick claims to know of several copper mines, all abandoned in the region. Hope this helps.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I can't say anything about Silver but I know there was a Gold mine at Great Falls Md. If you park at the small lot by old Anglers inn and head into the wooded area you will see where they dug long pits in the ground. I beleive Union troops stationed nearby discovered gold getting water from the creek that runs down to the potomac river. Problem is, this is Federal land so Metal detecting prospecting and gold panning arent allowed . BUT those same creeks run onto private land. A freind of mine who lives near Frederick claims to know of several copper mines, all abandoned in the region. Hope this helps.
Yeah, "Fed-Land" is a "NO-NO"; the Feds are protecting "something"...

Last edited:

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Correct!...In this case the area is part of the historic C&O canal...who knows what else.

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
C & O Canal could have been used to transport GOLD, ANYWHERE!

During the Civil war Union troops were stationed all along the Canal which went from Wash DC up into western Md, it was a source of supply And of course troops moved along the open "towpath" this passage way was important during the battle of Gettysburg when the union army had to quick march from DC to points north. The Gold mines really didn't start up till after the Civil war but the canals remained active until the early 1900's, who knows what moved along them?

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in and see if anyone is still listening. I recently heard about this legend, and I happen to live on the end of Kirkhoff Road in Silver Run. I am interested in trying to find as much info as I can on this mine and the legend. I would also be open to letting anyone interested in searching for the mine come out and set up base on my land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread