Does this German currency note give the location of hidden treasure?

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
Does this German currency note give the location of hidden treasure?

post_germany_note_r20.jpg

Looks like the lake!

News story:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/apr/06/austria.secondworldwar

Last dive for Lake Toplitz's Nazi gold

It has inspired numerous expeditions, several mysterious deaths and plenty of
books. But 60 years after Nazi officers hid metal boxes in the depths of Lake
Toplitz, a new attempt is being made to recover the Third Reich's fabled lost
gold.

The Austrian government has given a US team permission to make an underwater
expedition to the log-infested bottom of the lake.

Treasure hunters have been flocking to Lake Toplitz ever since a group of
diehard Nazis retreated to this picturesque part of the Austrian Alps in the
final months of the second world war.

:)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Well, the interesting part is that they say scuba divers are destroying the lake! It seems like they are catching an average of 10 people a year. That is less than one person a month. But if you count no diving during the winter say an average of 6 month time frame to dive that is 1.6 divers per month. That is no small lake so there is a very large area to cover, then there is the depth of the lake. I'm no scuba diver but, my way of thinking is that these conservationists and forestry service people are blowing bubbles. Or smoking some stuff they are growing in the deep forest! It is also interesting to read the comments on the second news article.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear group;
Is anyone really surprised that the Austrian government has banned all diving in lake Toplitz? It's a very typical response to a problem. First, a story gets blown all out of proportion and everybody's imaginations start working overtime and next, large groups of ill-prepared treasure hunters start diving in the lake, digging and sifting through the bottom silt with abandon.

Of course everytime a diver perishes in the lake the burden of recovering the body and investigating the incident falls upon the heads of the local government. They expend manhours and resources investigating and researching the accident and the cost for all of this is borne by the local populace.

It's no wonder that the lake has become off-limits to divers, my friends. It's a dangerous region to be diving in and with all the diving activity on the bottom, what with moving massive sunken logs and sifting through meters of silt, it's also very likely that the lake's eco-structure is being damaged by legions of thoughtless or uncaring treasure hunters.

Overall, it tends to place treasure hunters in a bad light and it's a lesson we all should learn from. The next time we go out in the wilds, we should ensure that the area looks as though we were never there. No trash nor dig holes, no waste nor scars upon the land.

For an example of the negativity surrounding treasure hunting we only need to venture into the Superstition mountains. The graffiti and trash are everywhere and although I feel that this did not come from treasure hunters, per se, if you were to ask anyone who did that, the answer is almost invaritably "Those blasted Lost Dutchman Mine treasure hunters!"

It's part of the stigma which has become engrained into the minds of non-treasure hunters and we must either to something to halt this or face being banned from treasure hunting on federal and state lands.

The last time I broached this subject I was roundly criticized and even somewhat insulted, yet the facts remain and speak for themselves. Several times over the last two decades, regulations restricting treasure hunting in the Spuerstitions, and even outright bans, have been lobbied for by various conservation groups, often times with the support of various governmental agencies.

It's something to think about , everyone. I personally feel that Lake Toplitz has yet to give up all of it's Nazi treasures and there is some compelling evidence which seems to point to the lake as a possible resting place of large sums of currently unaccounted for Nazi loot. It seems a shame that an average person can no longer search for it, due to the inconsideration and poor planning on the part of a few darkside treasure hunters.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Rebel-KGC;
You wrote:
Send SWR... HE knows how to do it!

In all reality, my friend, SWR would know what to do with it! He wouldn't grab a full bottle of air and head straight for the bottom without a very well thought out and comprehensive plan of attack. Also, he would contact the goverment agency in charge of regulating and policing the lake and present them with his very compelling reasons for wishing to dive into the lake in the first place.

If he is the person whom I think he is, he will arrive at the offices of the goverment with stacks of documentation and even eyewitness statements, if there are any. In other words, he will prove that there exists an extremely good possibility that something of historical and/or monetary value lies on the bottom of the lake.

He will present to the government's representives something more than a few assorted photographs of some cryptic stone renderings
or carvings on trees, my friend. He will present actual Nazi journals and other reliable evidence and not some writings done by a second or third person. He will present actual historical facts and not suppositions or alternate theories.

And even with all of this supporting evidence and documentation, he knows that the odds of actually recovering a tresure are quite slim, as many events can can occur in a relatively short span of 60 years. Someone may have already recovered that which he is seeking, or the evidence may be flawed, or memories may have faded, or the lake's level may have changed, ad infinium.

So yes, my friend, I do feel that our esteemed associate, SWR knows EXACTLY what needs to be done.
Your friend;
LAMAR

K

Kentucky Kache

lamar said:
Someone may have already recovered that which he is seeking, or the evidence may be flawed, or memories may have faded, or the lake's level may have changed, ad infinium.
LAMAR

That kind of puts a killin' on the whole thing, doesn't it?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lamar, what can WE do to stop the unethical treasure hunters?

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Salvor6;
First, as treasure hunters we should inter-act more with those people who are the most concerned about us and our hobby, that being archaeologists, conservationists, park rangers, etc. We should approach them and ask what THEIR concerns are, listen to them then make an honest effort to work with thses groups. In other words, win them over by disarming them of their complaints.

For example, if the archies express concern that treasure hunters are destroying or stealing historical or archeaological artifacts, then we should make a genuine effort to discover which types of artifacts interest them the most and then make a genuine effort to locate and report all such artifacts to the archies. In fact, a treasure hunter can use a type of e-form (electorinic form)to record the pertinent info of the discovery, and include photos, and as much detail as possible, then send the archies an e-mail about the discovery.

This type of interaction tends to diminish the line between *us and them* to the point where instead of competing with one another on the same turf we are now working together for a greater good. The same can be said with other groups as well. We can make a concerted effort to listen to the tree huggers and perhaps volunteer to clean up certain areas at certain times to report violations of (again thru e-forms) policy, etc.

The possibilities are endless my friend, but the main thing is to get a group together and A-C-T! Find out who the primary belligerents are in the fight to close off our detecting areas and discuss the problem with them directly. Listen to their concerns and then try to find a solution together, then act upon it. The results may amaze you, my friend.
Your friend;
LAMAR

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
I think that it could be that any Nazi marked gold bars would Legally have at least part of them be used for restitution to Holocaust survivors and their families. I still wonder where that train is that had all the French treasures in it like the Amber room that was made completely out of amber went off too... Also theres still German warplanes in a bunker under the Berlin Airport run way, they are still armed too from what the rumors are. They were sealed in and never dug back up...

Furness

Aug 23, 2008
Lancs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the date on the note and the eagle and swastika in the bottom left hand corner, these appear to have been printed before or about the time the war started,

as the treasure was reputedly hidden at the very end of the war and in a hurry,
also considering the germans did not think they would lose at this time,
it is highly unlikely that they would print notes before the conflict started showing where they would hide it if things went wrong later !!!!.

furness

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread