Buried Treasure Story
Date: 1897-11-30;
Paper: Dallas Morning News
buried t.jpg

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did they know how much was found?......surely the individual who dug it up did not tell......

Some smart "Cookie" who got the idea to search that area

Goes to show you that there are Treasures around that connect to old stories about these outlaws.......

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Seven feet deep!

My guess is that the folks who planted this found a hole already dug. It just doesn't make sense they would take the time to dig that deep.

My second guess is that the people who dug it up either had a map they were working from, or one of the group that hid it was looking for it. I'm leaning toward one of the hiders because if it was a group that just had a map, it would make more sense to enlist the property owner and go shares. If it was an outlaw or former outlaw, keeping it quiet could have been especially important. Additionally, there would be less reason to involve the property owner because the people looking for it knew it was there - and that is certainly not always true of everyone going out into the field with a map.

An important clue is the number of attempts to find it - all at night. There are some old superstitions about digging up treasure - working at night is one, and another is nobody talks during the process (which is an excellent idea after something has been found, as well!).

Good luck to all -

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread