Sublett mine and other texas mines.

charlesc

Greenie
Jun 27, 2006
Hello, I am new here and seeking the advice of you experts reading this.I plan to take a trip to several lost mines in west texas. I was thinking about looking for the haystack mine, sublett mine, and the lost treasure cave that is somewhere along the southeast facing slope of the guadalupe mountains. I have read that the sublett mine is believed to be located somewhere near the southeast facing slope also, but I don't really know the first thing about where I should go to start my search. Obviously no one really knows, but advice on how to begin my search for the sublett mine would be beneficial. I have also read that the haystack mine is located somewhere between the town of alpine and the haystack mountains, but any advice on where to start searching would be greatful. After reading about the lost treasure cave discovered by jesse duran that is somewhere along the southeast facing slope of the guadalupe mountains, I started doubting the validity of this claim. Can anyone give any input regarding this and if I should use some of my time to search for it? Any input is appreciated. If anyone is interested in joining my search I would enjoy the company. If you know of a better site than the ones I mentioned please tell me. I also am thinking about looking for the lost gold of gideon gaines. I will probably visit the guadalupe mountains since the sublett mine and the treasure cave are there, and one other site ???. Thanks for the advice

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Charles,
When are you thinking of going? remember what the Texas summers are like and plan accordingly!
My advice would be to pm some of the Texas members of T'Net and get their advice on how to go on. Get all the research material you can (Jameson, Penfield, Bowie) and use those as a starting place to find out about the various caches/mines. Lost Treasure has a wealth of old legends in their archives; do a search and don't hesitate to buy as much as you need. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH ACCURATE INFORMATION!
The Guadalupes were mined by the Spanish, so check with some of the folks on here who specialize in their mining history (diving doc, ericwt,Realde and several others)
Don't try this alone! Get a partner who can pull your a$$ out of trouble if need be.

Good luck

grizzly bare

Jim Johnson

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750
Charles, when are you thinking of doing this? I live in Carlsbad, NM, about 30 minutes away from the Guadalupes. I work during the week, but have most weekends free.

As far as the Sublett mine, I got an article from an old TH magazine that kind of blows the mine theory out of the water......it was actually a chest of gold nuggets from a stagecoach robbery that he found. It was subsequently found by another guy who did a recovery and ended up buying a $90,000 ranch up in Washington or Oregon. But who knows for sure??? LOL

Feel free to PM me if you want.

HH, ya'll!
Kajun

OP
OP
C

charlesc

Greenie
Jun 27, 2006
I have not set a date yet, I was just thinking sometime during july or early august. I don't believe the theory about the chest instead of the mine, because his son rolf had been there before. I believe that sublett even said "I have found the greatest gold mine in all of north america." I believe the facts point to a mine instead of a chest, however I could be wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread