Buried Treasure at Natural Bridge, Virginia

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I scanned the page images below from a book in my library, The Natural Bridge and Its Historical Surroundings, by E.P. Tompkins, M.D. and J. Lee Davis and published by Natural Bridge of Va., Inc. in 1939. In all my reading on Virginia history and Natural Bridge, this is the only reference to this story that I've ever come across. Myth or reality? (Click on images to enlarge and read).

Attachments

• natbridge_treas1-crop.jpg
    natbridge_treas1-crop.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 540
  • natbridg_treas2.jpg
    natbridg_treas2.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 477
K

Kentucky Kache

If the story is true, It looks like the guys who dug there were archaeologists, or at least had some knowledge of archeology. And since they did such a broad excavation, I wouldn't think you could hope to find anything there. But who knows.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If the story is true, It looks like the guys who dug there were archaeologists, or at least had some knowledge of archeology. And since they did such a broad excavation, I wouldn't think you could hope to find anything there. But who knows.

It's a tourist site, so you wouldn't get anywhere near where they dug. But there's a lot of history in that area. I just thought it was a neat story to share.

K

Kentucky Kache

It's a tourist site, so you wouldn't get anywhere near where they dug. But there's a lot of history in that area. I just thought it was a neat story to share.

Absolutely. Nothing stirs the blood like a good treasure story.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

The story is true; already been recovered, according to info I got years ago, when wife & I visited N.B.; they had a HUGE fire last year... LOTS of the buildings were destroyed... go to their web-site for current info.

K

Kentucky Kache

The story is true; already been recovered, according to info I got years ago, when wife & I visited N.B.; they had a HUGE fire last year... LOTS of the buildings were destroyed... go to their web-site for current info.

Cool. Wish I had been the one to find it.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That fire was actually on a neighboring property/attraction. They advertise together, but are separate entities.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That fire was actually on a neighboring property/attraction. They advertise together, but are separate entities.

GOOD! LOVED the wax museum, NB, etc.; haven't been up there in a couple of years. MAYBE, we'll make a "day-trip" out of it... and go to Cave Mountain Lake,too! GREAT blog! Gov. George Allen is an old REBEL; was in a movie singing "Hurrah! For the Bonnie Blue Flag". Know him well; would be good for SCV "initiatives".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GOOD! LOVED the wax museum, NB, etc.; haven't been up there in a couple of years. MAYBE, we'll make a "day-trip" out of it... and go to Cave Mountain Lake,too! GREAT blog! Gov. George Allen is an old REBEL; was in a movie singing "Hurrah! For the Bonnie Blue Flag". Know him well; would be good for SCV "initiatives".

Thanks Reb!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread