Mosbys treasure

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I ran across a reference to "Mosbys Treasure" somewhere in Virginia. Can anyone tell me if it has been found or what? Or is it known by some other name? Thanks all.

WHICH one...? JSM had several caches stolen from Washington, DC area, from what I heard/read; Northern Virginia, over to Winchester, Va. in the Shenandoah Valley. "Google" John S. Mosby REBEL buried treasures. He attended the University of Virginia, so it wouldn't surprise me if he used Charlottesvile, Va. & NORTH... (LOTS of hills & mountains)!

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
rickn1:

Mosby survived the war - as did many of his men. It would stand to reason that if he had hidden anything he would have recovered it when the shooting stopped and the smoke cleared. If he didn't, chances are one or more of his men would have.

Look at the huge theft right at the end of WWII when a group of US and German soldiers made off with an astonishing amount of gold - a theft that has never been solved.

I have, from time to time, looked in the lost Confederate treasury yarn and I don't think that is one worth working on, either.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
rickn1

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHICH one...? JSM had several caches stolen from Washington, DC area, from what I heard/read; Northern Virginia, over to Winchester, Va. in the Shenandoah Valley. "Google" John S. Mosby REBEL buried treasures. He attended the University of Virginia, so it wouldn't surprise me if he used Charlottesvile, Va. & NORTH... (LOTS of hills & mountains)!
The route that parallels today’s US 211, Mosby’s Raiders traveled south until they ran into two large pine trees. Mosby marked the trees with his knife, and the Raiders headed back along their route and across the Confederate line

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
rickn1:

If there is one episode of American history that is well documented it is the Civil War. What source(s) tell about Mosby's treasure caches?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
One version of the Mosby treasure yarn states Sgt. Ames was in the group that cached the plunder - and he was then hung by George Custer. That does not appear to be correct: Death of 2nd Lt. James "Big Yankee" Ames B-40 | Marker History

John S. Mosby gave a detailed account of the Stoughton raid in his Memoirs - but no mention of recovering stolen heirlooms.

I looked through Mosby's Rangers; A Record of the Operations of the Forty-Third Battalion of Virginia Cavalry from its Organization to the Surrender By James J. Williamson of Company A (New York: 1895, 1909) and it quotes a magazine article written by Col. Mosby. Again, no mention of recovered war loot.

Without looking, there are probably other accounts written by Mosby's men. It's always useful to check Battles & Leaders and the OR - I very much doubt one will find anything useful in either source, however.

I remain curious about the origin of this tale.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

captED

Greenie
Jun 7, 2010
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
does anyone know where this tale came from? the only thing i have read that's close is that after the war mosby talked to his family about it.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
He was an Attorney, so PROBABLY didn't want to reveal; MAYBE the University of Virginia got it. I think his LAW degree was from there; MAYBE still hidden between Charlottesvile, Va. to Northern Virginia. I read where he liked mountains & wooded areas... something about Orange County, Va.

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old post but the older maps of the area showing troop positions would have had his path more than likely following US 522 towards Woodville before heading back south if he actually hid something due to Union Soldiers. If he would have gone as far north as US 211, it's likely he would not have encountered any Union.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote a story for treasure magazine years ago about the Mosby Treasure. It never happened. Read the story if you can find it. Mosby died a pauper, he could not even pay for his funeral. That information came from his grand-daughter. The other research was well documented. Sgt. Ames was not with him that night to even help bury a treasure. Sorry but that one did not happen. If you want to look for it though. I have. You need to go to Buckland. About 23 years ago when I was up there they were building shopping malls. We found stacks of stone cannon balls but were unable to retrieve any of them. Good luck.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
franklin:

I saw a reference to a Treasure Search article (June 1985) on Mosby's Treasure - is that yours?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did not happen the way the story is written. Several acts were ran together to make the story. Sgt. Ames was not with Mosby he had already been killed on the field of battle. Private Frankland was with Mosby. Frankland and another trooper stayed on the high lofty location to watch the road from Fairfax Courthouse. The plunder and prisoners were turned in, the men split the plunder and it was no where near $350,000. Mosby of course took none as he always did. The burying of the sacks of treasure between two pines never happened.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Today, R & I indicated "JSM" NEVER surrendered & lived in Lynchburg, Va. for a time, due to the "High Price" on his head after the CONFEDERATE WAR; NEVER knew that... STILL learning "NEAT" stuff; gonna have to go to Jones Memorial Library, here in town & try to "dig up" more info next Tuesday... CLOSED on Mondays.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
What does "NEVER surrendered" mean? Did Col. Mosby have an independent command?

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yep! Mosby's Rangers, CSA in Northern Virginia, NEVER surrendered; Rangers disbanded & HE was later PARDONED by Grant...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Apparently, the Rebel Rangers under Col. J. S. Mosby "operated" in Northern Virginia, near D. C. WEST to the Northern part of the Shenandoah Valley & Harper's Ferry Virginia/West Virginia; near Harper's Ferry was a BIG cave called MOSBY'S CAVE, which had an entrance that was "Horse & Rider" High & a HUGE Room... the Rangers hid there from the Yanks; was "treasure" buried there...? Dunno, still doing R & I...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread