EL BURRO DE ORO

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
El Burro de Oro the or the Golden Burro - There are many treasure stories that originate from our neighboring country of Mexico. Most are not known outside of the country with the exception of Pancho Villa’s stolen loot, the Moctezuma treasure and the Tayopa treasure. It is doubtful that any of those treasures will ever be uncovered as the available information is vague and acutely distorted, if any one of them are ever uncovered most probably it will be by accident. The truth is that there are many more valuable , discoverable and accurately documented treasures than the aforementioned three. One of these is the treasure of a person named Francisco Velarde. Also known as el Burro de Oro. To be called a burro is an insult and is applied to people who others deem ignorant or stupid. Velarde was thought to be a fool because of his lifestyle, one that the local everyday people could not grasp, and therefore the nickname. Many historians say on the contrary he was extremely astute and his incredible fortune supports that fact. Velarde’s life story is well documented. He was the son of nobility who inherited his father’s fortune. They were owners of immense tracts of land close to a million acres and their income was from farming and livestock. All of the profits were turned into gold and silver. There are books written about him and in the town of la Barca , Jalisco there are people ,historians who know intimate details of his life to this day. The amount of gold and silver he left behind is valued by some to reach a billion dollars. A more conservative and accurate estimate would be about 50 million. Also in la Barca one of Velarde’s haciendas is now a museum, furnished as it was when Francisco lived there. It is an impressive and huge estate. Velardes nickname was attributed to his extravagant lifestyle. The thread used to sew his clothes was gold, the buttons were made of solid gold, the heels of his boots were solid gold. He rode only the finest horses in the country, the carriages were gold covered. His servants were sent to Europe to be trained. He purchased the title of general from Santa Ana, although he never served one day in the military, and sent gifts to the emperor Maxmillian. His struggle to befriend Maxmillian was his ultimate downfall. Benito Juarez ordered the execution of all of Maxmillian’s sympathizers. The orders were given to General Francisco Tolentino. Upon the staging of the execution Velarde offered to the general the equivalent to his weight and the weight of his horse in gold and weight in silver to each of the soldiers that accompanied him, if they would spare his life. The general had his orders and reportedly shot Velarde himself. Only a few hours later an official pardon arrived from Benito Juarez. The question remains what became of Velarde’s gold and silver hoard. Velarde also had an immense home in the town of Vista Hermosa, Michoacan. This magnificent home and mill is ayacent to the cathedral. In those days the most influential people customarily built their homes as close to the church as possible preferably right beside it. It was also customary that there were underground tunnels that connected the main house to the church. In many of the municipalities the arquitectural drawings for these constructions are still on file. It is known that there is an underground tunnel that connects Velardes house in Vista Hermosa to the church. There are huge doors in the tunnel that have never been opened. Although it was never officially reported, its probable that some of Velardes fortune was recovered. It is assumed that the remainder of Velardes wealth lie behind those massive wooden doors in that tunnel. Just off of the main plaza in the town of Vista Hermosa, Michoacan. The priest in charge so far has refused access to the tunnel. Those who wish to seriously research this lead in detail should be able to find much more information. And going through the proper channels with political influence will be necessary. I am not convinced that there is treasure there but treasure hunters using deep seeking devices report an anomalous reading from the street surface. Whoever proceeds with this search will have to be wealthy in the first place in order to be successful. With a good attorney they should secure a 50/50 split in writing. I would envision some kind of documentary as Geraldo Rivera did some years back open Al Capone’s safe. Hopefully with more rewarding results.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Annie my compadre, cafe??:coffee2::coffee2: You posted ---> the Tayopa treasure. It is doubtful that any of those treasures will ever be uncovered as the available information is vague and acutely distorted, if any one of them are ever uncovered most probably it will be by accident.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sniff and here I have been wasting my life, :dontknow: or have I Wanna se oneof the trails to Tayopa -------- ???

Top story on the burro de Oro

Don jse de La Mancha

p.s. Certainly glad to see you posting again my friend.

Wanna see a trail to Tayopa ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
hello my esteemed friend don jose. i hope all is well with you. id like to comment more often but im always busy. i havent read any of your posts in some time. i suppose i should have left tayopa out of the mix. i completely forgot . there have been some interesting treasures recovered in mexico recently. if i get time i hope to post some of them.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'd morning annie, just in time for coffee:

Old Trail  a.jpg

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lilorhanannie

Thanks for the interesting post. That is a very interesting story I really enjoyed It I have not heard it before. have you done much research into the story?

Amy

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great history and story. Do share more of your local knowledge with us. Thank you in advance.

El Burro de Oro the or the Golden Burro - There are many treasure stories that originate from our neighboring country of Mexico. Most are not known outside of the country with the exception of Pancho Villa’s stolen loot, the Moctezuma treasure and the Tayopa treasure. It is doubtful that any of those treasures will ever be uncovered as the available information is vague and acutely distorted, if any one of them are ever uncovered most probably it will be by accident. The truth is that there are many more valuable , discoverable and accurately documented treasures than the aforementioned three. One of these is the treasure of a person named Francisco Velarde. Also known as el Burro de Oro. To be called a burro is an insult and is applied to people who others deem ignorant or stupid. Velarde was thought to be a fool because of his lifestyle, one that the local everyday people could not grasp, and therefore the nickname. Many historians say on the contrary he was extremely astute and his incredible fortune supports that fact. Velarde’s life story is well documented. He was the son of nobility who inherited his father’s fortune. They were owners of immense tracts of land close to a million acres and their income was from farming and livestock. All of the profits were turned into gold and silver. There are books written about him and in the town of la Barca , Jalisco there are people ,historians who know intimate details of his life to this day. The amount of gold and silver he left behind is valued by some to reach a billion dollars. A more conservative and accurate estimate would be about 50 million. Also in la Barca one of Velarde’s haciendas is now a museum, furnished as it was when Francisco lived there. It is an impressive and huge estate. Velardes nickname was attributed to his extravagant lifestyle. The thread used to sew his clothes was gold, the buttons were made of solid gold, the heels of his boots were solid gold. He rode only the finest horses in the country, the carriages were gold covered. His servants were sent to Europe to be trained. He purchased the title of general from Santa Ana, although he never served one day in the military, and sent gifts to the emperor Maxmillian. His struggle to befriend Maxmillian was his ultimate downfall. Benito Juarez ordered the execution of all of Maxmillian’s sympathizers. The orders were given to General Francisco Tolentino. Upon the staging of the execution Velarde offered to the general the equivalent to his weight and the weight of his horse in gold and weight in silver to each of the soldiers that accompanied him, if they would spare his life. The general had his orders and reportedly shot Velarde himself. Only a few hours later an official pardon arrived from Benito Juarez. The question remains what became of Velarde’s gold and silver hoard. Velarde also had an immense home in the town of Vista Hermosa, Michoacan. This magnificent home and mill is ayacent to the cathedral. In those days the most influential people customarily built their homes as close to the church as possible preferably right beside it. It was also customary that there were underground tunnels that connected the main house to the church. In many of the municipalities the arquitectural drawings for these constructions are still on file. It is known that there is an underground tunnel that connects Velardes house in Vista Hermosa to the church. There are huge doors in the tunnel that have never been opened. Although it was never officially reported, its probable that some of Velardes fortune was recovered. It is assumed that the remainder of Velardes wealth lie behind those massive wooden doors in that tunnel. Just off of the main plaza in the town of Vista Hermosa, Michoacan. The priest in charge so far has refused access to the tunnel. Those who wish to seriously research this lead in detail should be able to find much more information. And going through the proper channels with political influence will be necessary. I am not convinced that there is treasure there but treasure hunters using deep seeking devices report an anomalous reading from the street surface. Whoever proceeds with this search will have to be wealthy in the first place in order to be successful. With a good attorney they should secure a 50/50 split in writing. I would envision some kind of documentary as Geraldo Rivera did some years back open Al Capone’s safe. Hopefully with more rewarding results.

OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
Thanks for the replies. Yes I have done some rather extensive research on this story. There is definitely some meat to it.one day the right people with the right tact will retrieve it. As ive mentioned on several occasions ,im more of a researcher than a treasure hunter. Although I have participated in two treasure recoveries here in mexico. I look for lost mines more than anything else. The mine of the iron cross, etc. over the years I have come across most intriguing information concerning treasure by way of handwritten church confessions and architectural blueprints for haciendas. I have visited countless haciendas probably over 50, including those of general porfiro diaz, general anacleto lopez, general saturnillo cedillo those of the velarde family and others. If I were to focus on any one thing here in mexico reference to hidden treasure it would be the main well on the hacienda grounds. I have just finished my first book on the gold placers of mexico and their history. I hope to follow up an historically significant lost mines and Mexican mining history , and possibly an lost mines and a compilation to verifiable treasure leads for mexico,to include the translated written last confessions and blueprints for haciendas where treasure has been hidden. I see that el burro de oro is here on the internet. And there are several books and articles written about him all in Spanish. But the closer one is to the source the more accurate the information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread