Lue Map

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Springfeild

Thanks for the very interesting post. It is interesting you show another version of the map with Symbols of alleged treasure marks? I profess not to be sign reader or a believer in such so I leave that to others...However I have a Photograph that may or may not be connected to the symbol on the left side.

Personally as a professional archivist and Historian, I have not seen any evidence that the Spanish had a System of Symbols. However that is for another forum thread. So I leave the image to thoughts of its value in relation to this alleged Lue map for others.

Sadly I too especially for me I do not have any information of the origin of the Photograph or location.

040.jpg

Corp

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Hello Springfeild

Thanks for the very interesting post. It is interesting you show another version of the map with Symbols of alleged treasure marks? I profess not to be sign reader or a believer in such so I leave that to others...However I have a Photograph that may or may not be connected to the symbol on the left side.

Personally as a professional archivist and Historian, I have not seen any evidence that the Spanish had a System of Symbols. However that is for another forum thread. So I leave the image to thoughts of its value in relation to this alleged Lue map for others.

Sadly I too especially for me I do not have any information of the origin of the Photograph or location.

View attachment 858959

Corp
Try this link, Corp: WaterGlyphs

I share your skepticism regarding 'Spanish signs' even though a few guys in Utah covet this symbol as a Spanish treasure sign. The KGC guys see it as Phi, associated with the Golden Mean and sacred geometry.

Speaking of symbols on maps, here's another cryptic map supposedly associated with the San Andreas and/or Organ ranges in sw New Mexico.

organs.JPG

You might also find similar symbols on a number of seeming related petroglyph sites throughout the west: Mystery Glyphs - Home

Do these things have anything to do with the LUE? Quien sabe?

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
I'm familiar with that particular glyph and much has been written about it. My particular estimation is that there are far too many instances of it (up to 400) in a very remote area for it to be an accident. That said I'm reasonably confident it's not a Spanish treasure symbol, and despite claims to the contrary, it is most certainly not a water glyph.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about that picture but my first impression is that it would be ideal for molding a molten metal into a shape that resembles a dagger or sword.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
The symbol sort of defies any practical application I can think of due to the sheer number of them, their location and clustering, and the fact they appear in very small region exclusively. Someone suggested not molten, but that they might be used to draw pitch out of wood. You visit a few of them (and they're plenty) you quickly realize they are ancient and thus far defy any logical explanation.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
My big question about the LUE at this point relates to Von Mueller's presentation in Treasure Hunter's Manual #7 where he writes:

"Redrawn exactly from the IAYAYAM Key."

What exactly is the IAYAYAM Key that he is referring to?

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My big question about the LUE at this point relates to Von Mueller's presentation in Treasure Hunter's Manual #7 where he writes:

"Redrawn exactly from the IAYAYAM Key."

What exactly is the IAYAYAM Key that he is referring to?

Hello Randy did you ever find out what the Tayayan key was?

Amy

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Nope, not a clue. Other than Von Mueller's reference to it I've never even heard about it. He mentions it in an offhand ay like he expected his readers to understand...or at least some of them.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is from "Spanish Trail of Gold" by Robert O. Burch in 1935. As with most 'codes', a key is required to unlock. The code itself is not that complex if one gains celestial navigation skills.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
It is from "Spanish Trail of Gold" by Robert O. Burch in 1935. As with most 'codes', a key is required to unlock. The code itself is not that complex if one gains celestial navigation skills.

Sounds promising Patrick but how can we be sure without the Burch book to compare against?

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

I noticed earlier you were seeking an original copy of this publication. Were you successful?

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not quite sure what to think after reading "Karl von Mueller" Valley of secrets?

And the story of Walter Hurt's "The Scarlet Shadow; A Story of the Great Colorado Conspiracy" is a detailed account of Karl von Mueller search for and research into this amazing story. Was there an armed military camp located at the headwaters of the Purgatoire ("Picketwire") River in southern Colorado? Did a crazed genius manufacture three "airships" (dirigibles) as part of a plot to take over the United States? Was this potentially the most violent offshoot of the early 20th Century Western labor movement? Or was it all alarmist propaganda by the ruling elite.

But was there any real truth in the Story? Yes it is a fact at the time there was serious labor issues centered around the Cripple creek mining region Colorado between miners and mine owners and a high level of corruption. But the names on people given in scarlet shadow was fictional names there is no records of the existence of an Italian inventor. I think the book was a classic example blending of fact into a fictional Novel. And that is problem we have with the Lue map an uncertain provenance.

And factor in the early part of the century strange airships was sighted all over the United states in fact all around the world even Britain, Australia and new Zealand. Airship was still in rather primitive stages and it is hard to imagine the allege capabilities of such craft back then.Was these two events blended into a novel?

Interesting and intriguing.

Amy

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Amy,

That is a good question. I obtained a copy of the Scarlet Shadow about ten or fifteen years ago. The chapter reproduced was verbatim from that. That specific chapter does not match the continuity and flow of the rest of the book. It is very much a book about the issues involved around mining back in the day.

The images in VoS of the mine opening across a chasm were indicated. However, the old timers in the area talk about that specific location being a uranium mine back in the day.

vosd.jpg
trail17.jpg

So, those pictures from VOS were probably open to 'author interpretation' rather than historic event.

There are two valleys in that region where this story could take place. I mean to say, level enough for camping, close water supply, matching terrain, large enough to facilitate that many people, etc.

I cannot speak to the authenticity of that story. And, having hiked the area pretty thoroughly, have never found any remnants of metal foil or anything else to back up the dirigible portion of the story but that doesn't mean much. I personally have not found anything along the area identified in the book but did find a sealed Spanish cache site just north of there. This would be the 7th location indicated on the LUE map.

cave with top.jpg

This is two pictures together showing the sealed opening.

The best part was finding this symbol carved in stone at the top:

cave5.jpg
cave5b.jpg
cave7.jpg
cave7b.jpg

Definitely Spanish.

What threw me off was finding this symbol also carved on the top left corner of the opening:

shield1.jpg shield2.jpg

Its a Templar shield.

There are several other symbols, numbers and letters carved on the sealed entrance. For example:

Carvings.jpg

Note the letter 'G' indicating Gold and the heart shape with it?

I have isolated the large cache site as well but that is a little south of this area on property I cannot access. But this one is yet recovered and would be the main cache site that the others stem from, so I suppose that makes it site #1 indicated on the LUE map.

There is another site close to Site #7 as well but I have not evaluated this one yet.

Site 2 b.jpg

Thoughts?

Patrick

Last edited:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amy,

Also, there are several LUE related articles published in KVMs Prospector Gazettes. Several of those give additional information. Not too sure about the magazine articles published. I have copies of all that have been identified as related to LUE.

Patrick

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
I am not quite sure what to think after reading "Karl von Mueller" Valley of secrets?
And the story of Walter Hurt's "The Scarlet Shadow; A Story of the Great Colorado Conspiracy" is a detailed account of Karl von Mueller search for and research into this amazing story. ...

It's a complex coded message describing an extremely well-organized gold caching event in the upper Purgatoire region - known to treasure hunters as the 'mysterious LUE treasure'. The responsible organization created caches in probably dozens of other locations ca 1920's-1940's, all 'revealed to the public' by 'treasure writers' over the years. These tales are the meat of the US 'lost mines/buried treasures' catalog.

The 'legends' follow a familiar formula and are generally plausible, often 'Spanish-related in the Southwest. About every generation, 'someone' arrives at the 'treasure venue', contacts willing locals, often with 'new clues', and reinvigorates the 'legend' with fresh young searchers. Not realizing that the truths underlying the legends are proprietary and unavailable, the searchers trace circles around the well-established bogus 'clues'. Nothing but more 'clues' are ever found.

Who are these guys? Why are they doing this? Damn good questions.

Last edited:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hole only goes back about 18 inches and ends at a boulder. It appears as if the site was sealed by putting the largest of rocks into the opening.

DSC_0185.JPG

(Hey Scott, Isn't that a 'hooked X' on the right side?)

Most of the symbols carved are 'shadow' symbols and can only be seen when shadows cast across them.

One of the Spanish trail markers on the way to this location is what I call the Compass Stone.

compassstone2.jpg

There have been many theories posted and written about the LUE. Mostly by treasure hunter theorists who have not actually done the field research or historical research to connect the dots. But this is actually an easy one (relatively speaking) to backtrack the historical references then line them up with actual finds in the field.

Patrick

Last edited:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Springfield,

The carvings I found dated back to the mid 1700s. Can you provide an example of a 20th century symbol?

Patrick

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Hi Springfield,

The carvings I found dated back to the mid 1700s. Can you provide an example of a 20th century symbol?

Patrick

Who 'dated' the carvings? How - by the amount of 'weathering'? If you had access to world class artisans, you would have absolutely no trouble creating 17th or 7th century carvings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread