Wierd Place For A Glyph Tile

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. This is not my find. This was found by a friend deep in a cave in a mountain range far North of the US-Mexican Border. We have both come to about the same conclusion as to what it is, but I would like a couple of other opinions as well. I will say that the place this was found was not at all anywhere near where it should have been.

skullglyphfragment2.jpg

Thanks - Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, my guess is that it part of a larger message. I think there are three dots under the glyph due to the placement of the remaining two, and I think it is part of a date: 3 EB. It would be very interesting to find the rest of that date and see when those pesky Maya might have had a presence North of the US/Mexican Border.

Mike

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
It's one of the Mayan astrology symbols - means "west", among other things. Exploration marker/shrine? "Western node" in an array of additional locations (such as 'four sacred mountains' of various SW cultures)?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Was there any other items found at the site in the cave like broken pottery or any sign of previous habitation? Charcoal fire pits etc...

Crow

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend hasn't given up all that he found in that cave. He peruses this website sometimes. Maybe he will chime in and give up some more.

Mike

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Mike,

I would suggest that someone send the picture to Dr. Michael Smith at ASU. It's been awhile since I last contacted him, but here is the last e-mail address I had for him:

[email protected]

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one of the Mayan astrology symbols - means "west", among other things. Exploration marker/shrine? "Western node" in an array of additional locations (such as 'four sacred mountains' of various SW cultures)?

I don't see it.
DirectionalGlyphs.png

Looks more like:

MAYA-g-log-cal-D12-Eb.png

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, the picture is not displayed clearly, nor have my eyes recuperated sufficiently to see ir clearly, so I would be only guessing at this moment. Perhaps a clearer picture ???Don Jose de La Mancha

Is this highlighted version any better for you?

glyph.jpg

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

I would suggest that someone send the picture to Dr. Michael Smith at ASU. It's been awhile since I last contacted him, but here is the last e-mail address I had for him:

[email protected]

Good luck,

Joe

Joe,

Here is Michael Smith's reply to my inquiry:

I have no idea what this is, and the find is not professionally documented. Sorry, I can’t be of any help to you.

Typical pablum. No interest in why something that looks amazingly Mayan would be anywhere North of the US/Mexican Border. Especially since an Archy didn't "PROFESSIONALLY" discover it. What a tool!

Mike

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed....what a tool !!! OMG...put it back were it belongs, your not qualified to handle that....You can bet that he knows exactly what it is and is probably already starting his own research.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed....what a tool !!! OMG...put it back were it belongs, your not qualified to handle that....You can bet that he knows exactly what it is and is probably already starting his own research.

Naaah. That's the funny part. Of course he knows what it is, but more than likely, he won't give it a second thought. I responded "Thanks for looking. Sorry to have wasted your time." Maybe he might feel a pang and realize that being a flippant a$$ is not the right thing to do. HAHAHA

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just shot it out to someone else, and this time I was a lot more cryptic about it.

Mike

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Naaah. That's the funny part. Of course he knows what it is, but more than likely, he won't give it a second thought. I responded "Thanks for looking. Sorry to have wasted your time." Maybe he might feel a pang and realize that being a flippant a$$ is not the right thing to do. HAHAHA

Mike

My guess is that it was a CYA move.

Although the person who found that glyp is a man of integrity, Smith has no way of knowing that. He also has no way of knowing if it was stolen, or if it was acquired in an act of site destruction, so probably did not want to be seen as endorsing it in any way, shape, or form, by offering interpretation.

Also don't think it was a good idea for someone to have published his email address on a public forum (never mind a TH forum). I could be wrong but I doubt he consented to that.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess is that it was a CYA move.

Although the person who found that glyp is a man of integrity, Smith has no way of knowing that. He also has no way of knowing if it was stolen, or if it was acquired in an act of site destruction, so probably did not want to be seen as endorsing it in any way, shape, or form, by offering interpretation.

Also don't think it was a good idea for someone to have published his email address on a public forum (never mind a TH forum). I could be wrong but I doubt he consented to that.

You may be right, but the right thing to do would be to have said something like "While I think your friend's find is interesting, due to a lack of information, I don't feel comfortable evaluating it." ............... or something along those lines.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread