trading with a pirate

Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barry Clifford of "Wydah" fame , once did a documentary on St Marie bay , St Marie island , east of Madagascar. Revealing many exciting and interesting things. Finding pirate Captain Conden`s ship "Dragon" , potential underground stores etc.

This piece is a spin off treasure from pirates
around July 1720 , a ship called the "Prince Eugene " arrived at port dauphin , Madagascar , where she met the "Henrietta" who mention a pirate was in the waters and he was up for a bit of trading. At the time he had gone on a cruise , and was expected back at st marie within a few weeks , which did happen.

The prince went to see the said pirate at st maries bay , and saw the pirate ship , the large juddah ship and another (belonging to emperor of Germany) which they had just taken.The captain of the prince ended up doing a trade with the pirates who had roughly 9000 each per man , they bought all the cargo , weapons , drink , provisions the lot , he was paid in Spanish coin and german coyne along with gold bars.

This captain then proceeded with his journey stopping at the mouth of the river york in Virginia , he and his officers left the ship in the middle of the night with 3 chests built by the order of the captain by the ship carpenter , these were then hid somewhere up the river.

However , various crew members gave information of this and the captain was duely arrested and sent back to london to appear in court.

The outcome of the treasure? is it still there or was it retrieved by the officials.....perhaps a dig around the archives in the area may shed some light on it.

As for the unidentified mystery wreck in the documentary , it might just probably be the "Victory" once commanded by pirate Edward England as it was later burnt in the bay.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Barry Clifford of "Wydah" fame , once did a documentary on St Marie bay , St Marie island , east of Madagascar. Revealing many exciting and interesting things. Finding pirate Captain Conden`s ship "Dragon" , potential underground stores etc.

This piece is a spin off treasure from pirates
around July 1720 , a ship called the "Prince Eugene " arrived at port dauphin , Madagascar , where she met the "Henrietta" who mention a pirate was in the waters and he was up for a bit of trading. At the time he had gone on a cruise , and was expected back at st marie within a few weeks , which did happen.

The prince went to see the said pirate at st maries bay , and saw the pirate ship , the large juddah ship and another (belonging to emperor of Germany) which they had just taken.The captain of the prince ended up doing a trade with the pirates who had roughly 9000 each per man , they bought all the cargo , weapons , drink , provisions the lot , he was paid in Spanish coin and german coyne along with gold bars.

This captain then proceeded with his journey stopping at the mouth of the river york in Virginia , he and his officers left the ship in the middle of the night with 3 chests built by the order of the captain by the ship carpenter , these were then hid somewhere up the river.

However , various crew members gave information of this and the captain was duely arrested and sent back to london to appear in court.

The outcome of the treasure? is it still there or was it retrieved by the officials.....perhaps a dig around the archives in the area may shed some light on it.

As for the unidentified mystery wreck in the documentary , it might just probably be the "Victory" once commanded by pirate Edward England as it was later burnt in the bay.

So interesting stuff posted.:thumbsup: Anyone in that part of the world may pay to research this story further.

Cheers Crow

OP
OP
B
Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really didn`t take them that long to trade , within a week to two weeks tops after capture.
The niggling question i have is ;
if they bought all this kit , and perhaps held some in the stores described in the documentary , then perhaps , those stores may still hold items bought off the "prince Eugene" brought from Bristol , England , considering , not many pirates used those waters after 1723 ish.
Did not one of Henry Avery`s crew set up a depot of sorts for pirates in the bay/bay area , could they have belonged to him?
There is another trade with pirates where the pirate got scammed, AND he was paying $2 a bottle for beer. Some things never change.
banana`s

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Banana

I think that 1723 is misleading date as many forms of piracy and smuggling occurred after that date in the region. Smuggling was in fact much bigger than what piracy ever was.

Crow

OP
OP
B
Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crow,
Admittedly , having read your last post i will not argue that , perhaps i was a bit single minded in how i approached it and not looked at the wider scene, and focused to much on one aspect.
banana`s

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Banana still interesting information all the same. Your digging up some interesting stuff.:thumbsup:

Crow

OP
OP
B
Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
If anyone wishes to follow up on this one , perhaps try archives in Virginia & Hampton for additional information.

It was a Cpt Shatton who commanded the "Prince Eugene" He and his ship was seized by commander of the "Rye" Cpt Nhorwood. Later Cpt Shatton was sent to London for his trial , where he gave the proverbial two fingers to the court and refused to answer any questions.

If whoever can find an estate belonging or belonged to a colonel on the banks of the river York , then perhaps , 6 baggs of coyne may also be found in the sand. More may had already made it`s way back to Bristol via the vessels which frequented the area.

Banana`s

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,
If anyone wishes to follow up on this one , perhaps try archives in Virginia & Hampton for additional information.

It was a Cpt Shatton who commanded the "Prince Eugene" He and his ship was seized by commander of the "Rye" Cpt Nhorwood. Later Cpt Shatton was sent to London for his trial , where he gave the proverbial two fingers to the court and refused to answer any questions.

If whoever can find an estate belonging or belonged to a colonel on the banks of the river York , then perhaps , 6 baggs of coyne may also be found in the sand. More may had already made it`s way back to Bristol via the vessels which frequented the area.

Banana`s

Hello banana skin slippers

Do you have a date of these events and first name?

Kanacki

OP
OP
B
Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kanacki ,

His name was Joseph Shatton.

"Prince Eugene" left Bristol , May 1720 - Ireland - Madagascar - Virginia - Bristol.

late August/early September 1720 , at port Dauphine , Madagascar , met "Henrietta" , stayed 2 weeks while pirate Condent was out on a cruise.

September 1720 , at St Marys island off Madagascar , met and dealt with Cpt Conden(t) under an old tree on the beach.

Returned back to port Dauphine for wood and water , stayed 2 to 3 weeks , before heading round/up to suttalava , a port on the same island , stayed there 1 month to 6 weeks , bout roughly 40/50 slaves

then to Virginia , and spent 3 days at the mouth of the river York.

Cpt Shatton was seized at York Town , taken to Hampton , where Cpt Nhorwood was on board "Rye"

Brought prisoner to London.

Bananas

OP
OP
B
Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apologies ; he was roughly 32 years old an appeared in court 14th November 1721

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Banana

Enjoying a Bottle left by hardluck of Taduay Rum real smooth.....Ah smooth. He told me at the Amy's wedding ya progressing Nicely with your research. Ya changed completely the way you doing things and resaerching.

To get that from Hardluck is a big thumbs up.

So Cheers to ya!

Crow

OP
OP
B
Jun 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah Mr Crow,
Firstly , welcome back, Tis good to see you circling again. Along with, as Gollum suitably put it, the "wily Kanacki" and his brief visit.

Now you know haters gonna hate , an i be hating for your mention of Rum. As I had to go out this evening , a bottle of Angostura 1919 , Trinidad & Tobago Rum just happened to fall into my shopping basket. It`s all on you my friend , all on you.

Hardluck , like yourself & Kanacki are seriously good at knowing and understanding people , with Hardluck , he listened and never judged no matter how stupid a question or idea i had , the patience to reply , irrespective of how much of a workload he be under , or wherever he be in the world at the time is in my opinion impressive.
it is sorta reminds me of an old saying "never ignore the ignorant for they to have a story to tell"
Allowing me to make my own mistakes, allowing me to find things out for myself be it the hard way or easy way, yet there to be suggestive of um , perhaps look this way for your research etc , so if any compliments are to be given , personally , i would direct them firstly at Hardluck with respect for what he has achieved and the long hard , seriously hard road he took to get there. As well as yourselves , each with your own stories and for all the trio , even the fact you are all willing to share your yarns , your experiences and advice , goes a long long way for some of us. An unselfish attitude to help and to guide.
For that , As i raise my glass an sup my rum , I tip my hat to all three of you gents for your advice and insight into the murky world of treasure researching.
yes , he did warn me , its a long hard road , did I listen? da hell I did , so hey, let the journey continue of Daring to dream....What if?
cheers,
Banana`s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread