Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Crow, Truer words have not been spoken. It brings to mind the old saying, " believe none of what you hear and half of what you see."

I've done a bit of digging the last couple of days and may have a good one for you.

The St. Mary a sidewheel mountain steamer loaded with supplies and trade goods bound for Ft. Union at the mouth of the Yellowstone. Sunk at Haney's landing at the mouth of the Big Tarkio below Nebraska City September 4, 1858. Joseph LaBarge, master.
Here's the screwy part. A biography of LaBarge lastly places him on the St. Mary in 1856. After which there is a lull in his piloting career until he appears on the river in a new boat in 1859. Simple omission or embarrassment? I don't know.
I've found no record of recovery or attempted salvage of this vessel.

Thoughts?

Hello CC It does show a few things. One steamboat sinkings where more common than we thought? Two Labarge quite possibly omitted that shipwreck indiscretion indeed from embarrassment? Not only that it might of precluded him from working as a skipper again? So he might of had a good reason not to mention it.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Cayuse Thanks for the link.

It seems these lost whiskey stories are more common than ya think? I wonder if they were dreamed up by the alcohol starved public during prohibition?

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread