The lost Treasure of Napoleon Bonaparte

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TT sadly that is the reality one faces with such treasure legends.

However I have found out more places like this monument to the 1812 monument North east of Minsk

View attachment 1061955

It seems it was belived the grand army retreated from Moscow via Smolensk via north west of Minsk....perhaps through and area called Nemezis manor now abandoned to Vilnuis. many items of treasure must be still buried in many locations along that route. Probably not big treasure but big enough.

View attachment 1061956

Crow

Thanks Crow...that is quite a possibility to pursue..

tintin treasure

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT

I found other areas also. And more information may be obtained by correspondence about the retreat via Napoleons other generals. Here is another private letter.

Napoleon_de_Vaudey_letter.JPG

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TT

I found other areas also. And more information may be obtained by correspondence about the retreat via Napoleons other generals. Here is another private letter.

View attachment 1061960

Crow

Wow that is cool.thanks. I also read sometime ago that there was a recent grave discovery with skeletons believed to be from Naploen army..they were claiming analysis of the bones would show them from which part of Europe the person had come. These locations of the graves would be some clue as well.

tintin treasure

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
More telling is this map that gives a general idea of the retreat and dates involved. Along the line of retreat some treasures must of been hastily buried by various troops.

Moscow.jpg

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More telling is this map that gives a general idea of the retreat and dates involved. Along the line of retreat some treasures must of been hastily buried by various troops.

View attachment 1061961

Crow

thanks..I heard the treasure laws of Russia are not that attractive for THs.But uncle Put could be persuaded to collaborate as he is reviving the glory of the old kingdom to face uncle sam8-)...And since many searches have already been done in Russia ,one can wisely check the other unexplored sections as from your map we have a long path all the way to Vilinuis and beyond for any potential search.

tintin treasure

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A more southern route during retreat. Many waterways to cross, including where a bridge was burned leaving many behind on other side. With being pursued and harassed on retreat staying away from buildings may have been an attempt to avoid attack. Those water crossing areas hold some appeal of potential stash sites on sides of bridge works or under where land is met. Or near fords/crossings. If any thing was obtained from those villages that had to be contacted out of desperation during retreat the load may have needed to be lightened also. The places of many deaths may have inspired carrying lighter packs too.

furries-05.png

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks Crow...I also read somewhere that there are local treasure legends in Vilnuis and Kaunas areas. It is also important to identify those legends and sift out those related to Napoleon soldiers.

tintin treasure

1923 click map to enlarge. Two lakes west of Vilna. There are more lakes west of those. Most could be in path of southern retreat route.

IMG_0068.JPG

The capital of Lithuania. Willna/Vilna and other names throughout history.
Click link below to view.
MAPS4U.lt - Istorija žemėlapiuose ir žemėlapiai istorijoje. History of Maps and maps in History. - Vilniaus miestas planuose

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
While in Vilna, or whatever it was called in 1812, Bonaparte organized the Latvian Lancers,attempted to form a national guard, and when he left for Moscow 20 youths went with him as an honor guard. I imagine in high spirits on the way. Any of those youth who ,( if) they survived would have known of treasure it would seem. The Latvian Lancers were still fighting in 1813 though like the French suffered.So there was time for recoveries possibly, and for news to spread of the events, both of the horrors of Moscow and the retreat.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a li'l question for our black-feathered friend - Crow ...
I apologize to everyone cuz' this is not the right place - but it seems one of the more popular ones with the same bird - so here goes:

I have never seen you posting anything in the Lost Dutchman GoldMine - does that mean you are not at all interested? - or have you written it off as a non-viable subject?

*holding my breath here *

Thank you in advance - and again - apologies to all who post here.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a li'l question for our black-feathered friend - Crow ...
I apologize to everyone cuz' this is not the right place - but it seems one of the more popular ones with the same bird - so here goes:

I have never seen you posting anything in the Lost Dutchman GoldMine - does that mean you are not at all interested? - or have you written it off as a non-viable subject?

*holding my breath here *

Thank you in advance - and again - apologies to all who post here.

Hello Loke all treasure legends I get great interest and enjoyment from.

The Dutchman legend is no exception. It is one of the most well known treasure legends almost superstar status. However for me the legend has been debated talked over and over with claims after counter claims for years and years. It hard to know what are the real facts anymore as the legend itself over time has taken a life of its own. There are much more knowlegeable people out there that have devoted thier lives on this topic and wish them all luck. However for me prefer the more obscure legends that have not been over worked to death with assumptions.

This raggedy old crow with few feathers missing cannot flap his wings everywhere so I bid the best of luck to those die hard Dutch hunters the best of luck hunting.

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
While in Vilna, or whatever it was called in 1812, Bonaparte organized the Latvian Lancers,attempted to form a national guard, and when he left for Moscow 20 youths went with him as an honor guard. I imagine in high spirits on the way. Any of those youth who ,( if) they survived would have known of treasure it would seem. The Latvian Lancers were still fighting in 1813 though like the French suffered.So there was time for recoveries possibly, and for news to spread of the events, both of the horrors of Moscow and the retreat.

Hello releventchair

Some great stuff ya come up with there well done. It does suggest a little more investigation into some of lakes also. I heard once the story many years ago some of napoleons army fell through the ice into a lake and drowned. If that was the case? Maybe a treasure train of wagons crossing a frozen lake fell through and treasure now lies at the bottom of a lake?

I think there is a document France might clarify things a bit.

Crow

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks relevanchair..you also threw good clues. Concentrating in areas of Lituania/Vilnuis is reasonable as in the east in Belarus and Russia people for decades have combed the area for the treasure.

tintin treasure

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... Just wondering... Since on the subject of Nepoleons "treasures"... is anyone aware of the gold and treasure paid to pirate Jean Lafitte to rescue him from exile and both of them ended their days in Louisiana.
There has never been any evidence to support the rumor ... yet the rumor exists.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello ARRC posting here has few technical problems tonight as it is very slow. So old crow will be brief. No in short there is no substance to the story you mention.

Napoleon died on an island in the South Atlantic of Stomach Cancer in 1n 1821.

There was talk by ex French soldiers that was living in Texas of all places of Napoleon of rescuing him. And Even Lord Cochrane considered it, however the fact remained Napoleons health declined on St Helena Island led to even criticism in English Parliament. Autopsy report discovered that he had advanced stomach cancer.

Crow

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks relevanchair..you also threw good clues. Concentrating in areas of Lituania/Vilnuis is reasonable as in the east in Belarus and Russia people for decades have combed the area for the treasure.

tintin treasure

The trail of retreat would have been combed for generations , absolutely. What a single coin could do for a starving commoner would make it worth it.
Following the Russians scorched earth policy Napoleons army likely paid highly inflated prices for anything they could acquire and spent a portion of their plunder in that way..
Where to hide any treasure if the cost of human energy and precious time allowed then? What little reserves of energy for those fortunate to have it were needed to continue west. When rain soaked earth freezes it almost prohibits digging. A dry pattern prior to freeze up makes for easier digging. The crust of frozen earth can vary in depth ,in less fertile soil all the way to the frost line eventually, but can be broke through with lots of effort and a messy recovering of site with large frozen clods . Fertile soil is easier to punch through. All the running water allowed a place to roll a boulder, if any, to conceal something for a later date. Any place fires were built would be worth checking as the ground would be thawed beneath them in time allowing easy digging. Probably a lot of surface finds recovered over the years but those hearths would allow reasonably easy digging and could be left looking like just where a fire had been built. Those on a site with more permanent landmarks would seem appealing if any future recovery was planned, though the survival mentality may have led to just casting excess weight away like so much ballast more often in a vague manner. Gives more consideration of waterways being sites to hunt that way. Again with as permanent as possible landmarks if recovery was considered in the future. As for towns, villages and homes along the retreat. With the retreating party came the specter of disease, probably unknown to all that it was lice borne but still to be avoided. The residents could have been given items to hide but going into such places ,both parties knew would allow the deaths of many more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello releventchair typhus from lice was one biggest killers indeed for the grand Army also many died from exposure..

I have some more information on potential treasure sites from ex soldiers accounts, but I will post later.......Old Crow a little tired today

Crow

O

Old Silver

No in short there is no substance to the story you mention.

Napoleon died on an island in the South Atlantic of Stomach Cancer in 1n 1821.

There was talk by ex French soldiers that was living in Texas of all places of Napoleon of rescuing him. And Even Lord Cochrane considered it, however the fact remained Napoleons health declined on St Helena Island led to even criticism in English Parliament. Autopsy report discovered that he had advanced stomach cancer.

Crow

Maybe substance, and maybe not. Napoleon may not have died in Louisiana, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a Jean Lafitte connection. Some believe there's a connection here with the treasure of Thomas Beale.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe substance, and maybe not. Napoleon may not have died in Louisiana, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a Jean Lafitte connection. Some believe there's a connection here with the treasure of Thomas Beale.

Hello old Silver

After the Battle of Waterloo Napoleon was in Captivity by the Britsh which exiled him to saint Helana Island in South Atlantic he was under house arrest and his communications with the out side was extremely limited after that date with outside world until his death in 1821 by his Jailer by Hudson Lowe by all accounts a bit of an Ass.... All correspondence had to be approved and read by Lowe beforehand. If there was any remote connection with Jean Lafite it most likely would of been before july 1815.

While I have enjoyed reading the posts on Beale codes which is an amazing story in its self. I cannot come to any conclusion or opinion on them because several factors. One I have not had the liberty to really research them and I am a terrible cryptologist. Codes are not my thing I am afraid. Some do indeed claim a French connection? Others claim some thing else? For me Its hard to determine where the facts end and where the fiction begins. However that said it is all extremely interesting with what people come up with.

Anyone searching for a possible French link perhaps they might want to look at Napoleons coded letter I posted earlier and compare them in comparison with the Beale Codes.

Crow

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello old Silver

While I have enjoyed reading the posts on Beale codes which is an amazing story in its self. I cannot come to any conclusion or opinion on them because several factors. One I have not had the liberty to really research them and I am a terrible cryptologist. Codes are not my thing I am afraid. Some do do indeed claim a French connection? Others claim some thing else? For me Its hard to determine where the facts end and where the fiction begins. However that said it is all extremely interesting what people come up with.

Anyone searching for a possible French link perhaps they might want to look at Napoleons coded letter I posted earlier and compare them in comparison with the Beale Codes.

Crow

thanks Crow,,,i spent some days on Beale cyphers,but later I lost interest as I read some artciles that the whole thing could be a hoax.B the way what is your opinion on the soon to be released TH book "End Game:the calling" with 500k reward.

tintin treasure

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT The unholy trio my friend researches treasure legends from around the world. Its our passion, we have thousands of documents on many lost treasures. Most we will never finish in a life time. Others are in more advanced state of research others as you all we know will be nothing more than just legends. However there is some with much more than a grain of truth behind them.

Those that meet that criteria will be researched more in-depth. Even so many due various reason are UN-doable due numerous reasons and will fall from the equation leaving a few that have potential to go further a develop further perhaps into full blown project?

Game show type treasure hunt reward books do not fit our criteria on what we search for.... Its just not what we are about

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread