Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay TT ya been good

So heres ya yarn TT asked for.....

Gee between you IPIC, Doc, Don Jose, among others ya just about forced old crow to squawk until his beak falls off.:laughing7: You guys are slave drivers.:laughing7:

Here I am instead of me flapping my wings here siting getting unfit typing out yarns. When I should be outside stretching those wings.....

So gather round with a beer or a coffee for a yarn dedicated to all the brave men and women of the coalition forces who served and still serve in Afghanistan. The following treasure yarn is about the legendary Treasure of Ahamad Shah Abdali

Ahmad-Shah-Durani.jpeg

Although the names of Timur, Genghis Khan, and Mahmud of Ghazni are well-known for the destruction they wrought in South and Central Asia, the name of the founder of the Afghan nation-state is relatively unknown to Westerners, though Ahmad Shah created an Afghan empire that, at its largest in the 176Os,

map1772 of ahmad shah abdali.jpg

The empire as you can see in the map above shows the empire extended from Central Asia to Delhi and from Kashmir to the Arabian Sea. There have been greater conquerors in the region before and since Ahmad Shah, but never before his reign and rarely since has there been a ruler of this fragmented area capable not only of subduing the truculent Afghan tribes but also of pulling them together into a nation.

The treasure of Ahmad Shah is often considered to be the greatest ‘lost treasure’ in history? It has be claimed that there is a mountain of gold and jewels reputed to be worth in excess of $530 billion. In 1740 Nadar Sahar of Persia swept through Afghanistan into India. After sacking its capital at Delhi , he plundered the treasuries of the fabulously rich Mughal Emperors and hauled the wealth of three hundred years westward, over the Hindu Kush towards his kingdom of Persia. The treasure caravan was said to have been 150 miles long, and to have contained the greatest accumulation of gold and gems in human history.[SUP]

The_royal_procession_of_Shah_Alam_II_with_his_army_processing_from_right_to_left_along_the_banks.jpg

[/SUP]Ahmad Shah died an agonizing death soon after, succumbing to cancer of the face. Legend has it that his death was the result of the curse of the Koh-i-noor diamond. With the knowledge that his health was deteriorating, Ahmad Shah is said to have concealed the bulk of the treasure before his death. For almost two and a half centuries, Afghans and their rulers have searched for the treasure of Ahmad Shah. A century ago Amir Abdur Rahman, sent convicts to hunt in the dangerous tunnels commonly found in the region. Most of them perished.

Amir Abdur Rahman.jpg

The British mounted their own quest for the treasure, as did the Russians during the 1980s. More recently, It has been claimed that Al Qaeda and the Tailban henchmen have been thought to be looking For it. In 2007 travel writer and explorer Tahir Shah heads off to Afghanistan on a quest to find the hidden treasure of Ahamad Shah Abdali and made a documentary about his search.

search-for-the-lost-treasure-of-afghanistan-the-197.JPG

That was was almost downright suicidal in him being shot at by the Taliban. Tahir Shah's family lived in Afghanistan for more than a thousand years as rulers, warriors, and mystics. Shah shares the same name as the first king, as well as a common ancestry. His father, Idries shah , was Afghanistan's most famous writer of modern times, and was also preoccupied with the fabulous lost treasure. His own fascination for riddle led him to write a bestselling novel about the gold of Ahmad Shah.

He believes he knows the location of this immense historical treasure in the North west of Kabul. In a valley called.....

To be continued.....

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our Crow goes and exceeds himself again.

This region - which covers the old Silk Road and route used by invaders for millenia, is a fantastically unexplored and under explored region. Crow will probably be well aware of the Bactrian hoard and about the Afghan smugglers who dug into a mound which turned out to be burial, I believe in the Hindu Kush mountains.

This Abdali fella was responsible for finally finishing off the Mughal dynasty as a power in India. There is a huge black market in antiquities and gold flourishing on the Afghan/Pakistan border. Thing is, you will be hard pressed to find a more hostile, precarious, suspicious and possible opportunity to make a huge profit.

Thanks Crow, please continue....

IPUK

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention, this Shah chap is an idiot. I have read his books and seen his documentaries on British TV. He is a self important and self publicising fool who treats readers and viewers with contempt. My view and opinion only.

Crow,

Have you ever come across the river in India which was considered holy by the royals and nobles there, and was used to having priceless diamonds thrown into it in order to grant some boon?
It is near the famous old played-out mines, and I believe an American crew

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgot to mention, this Shah chap is an idiot. I have read his books and seen his documentaries on British TV. He is a self important and self publicising fool who treats readers and viewers with contempt. My view and opinion only.

Crow,

Have you ever come across the river in India which was considered holy by the royals and nobles there, and was used to having priceless diamonds thrown into it in order to grant some boon?
It is near the famous old played-out mines, and I believe an American crew

Hello IPIU

As for India I have a whole host of treasure legends in fact India is treasure seekers powerhouse. But this als for another time and post I am afraid.

Tahir Shah was involved in King Solomon's mines or some thing? The trouble is he displays dangerous characteristics to avoid egocentricity in which he will blindly walk into trouble without really thinking things out. He is the type of person that can get ya killed.

I have no fear of dying but I am in no hurry to get there either.

He believes treasure was in caves in the valley northwest of Kabul. The problem I have with this is Ahamad Shah Abdali came from tribal region of Kandahar? It would never have been in his best interest to most such a treasure into a rival tribal region? Another point clearly much treasure such as the peacock throne etc.. made it Tehran. What ever treasure he grabbed for himself was no way near what legends ascribe to him.

10145514.jpg

The region is famous for the Buddhist statute in the cave. Here is picture of it in 1974. It is here Tahir Shah belive in one of myrid of caves thast this fabled treasure sits?

10253947.jpg

Here is picture of site after the Taliban destroyed the monument.....I am saddened by such cultural intolerance.

75954163.jpg

The caves are amazing world heritage site. there are hundreds of Buddhist caves many have been damaged by looters of early Buddhist art chipped off the inner walls of the caves.

17759465.jpg

However how amazing the site is.... I cannot see some one of his religion hiding a great treasure in the Buddhist caves?

Another thing he tends to rely much of family documents and his past family searches....

But Ah maybe this little "birdy" got the proverbial worm that he did not get?????

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There was some one in 1930s who may have known some thing about this treasure?

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally Crow, i reckon a good portion may have been uncovered due to the way the culture and environment is in that particular country. They have no qualms of robbing graves, destroying temples and shrines, and even killing one another to get rich quick. Many travellers in the past described Afghanistan as a country full of badness, only distinguished by the differing levels of it. Harsh, but that is what was said by many who went there and saw what it had to offer.

IPUK

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know him! He owns a 7/11 in Pasadena, Ca.

Mike

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Gollum interesting comment I wonder if his family had a connection to an Australian who searched for it in the 1930's?

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Gollum interesting comment I wonder if his family had a connection to an Australian who searched for it in the 1930's?

Crow

Thanks Crow for this interesting thread. I just saw it today. One tiny thing to add or clarify there were two main characters as Crow put..one is Ahmed Shāh and the other is Nadir Shah emperor of persia.It is the latter that invaded Delhi,the former was a general for Nadir Shah and came to prominence in Afghanistan after killing Nadir Shah and inheriting the vast hoard,then he too died shortly. As Crow put it is rather strange why the treasure is belived to be in the North.

tintin treasure

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT

Hardluck did some research on a man in the 1930,s that may be connected to this treasure. Afganistan treasure

The man who seized Kabul from Amanullah is usually described by historians as a Tajik bandit. A native of Kala Khan, a village thirty kilometers north of Kabul, the new Afghan ruler dubbed himself Habibullah Khan, but others called him Bacha-i Saqao or Bacha-i Saqqao (Son of the Water Carrier). His attack on Kabul was shrewdly timed to follow the Shinwari rebellion and the defection of much of the army. Habibullah was probably the first Tajik to rule this region since before the Greeks arrived (although some historians believe the Ghorids of the twelfth century to have been Tajiks).

bacha-i-saqao.jpg

Underlying the predominant Afghan and Ghilzai elements in Afghan ethnography is the Tajik, representing the original Persian possessor of the soil, who still speaks his mother tongue. There are pure Persians in Afghanistan, such as the Kizzilbashes of Kabul, and the Naoshinvanis of Kharan; but tho name Tajik appears to be applied only to an admixture of original Arab and Persian stock (such as tho Dehwars), who were the slaves of the community — bowers of wood and drawers of water. Everywhere the Tajiks were the cultivators in rural districts, and the shopkeepers and clerks in the towns. The Tajik was as much the slave of the Pathan in Afghanistan as was the Hindki (whose origin was similar) in the plains of the Indus. Yet the Tajik population of the richly-cultivated districts north of Kabul proved themselves to be of good fighting material in the Afghan war of 1S79-80, and the few Kizzilbashes that were to be found in the ranks of the British Indian army were good soldiers.

The anti-Soviet Basmachi insurgency in Soviet Central Asia was staffed by peasants; but some elements of the commercial classes of Central Asia, motivated by the Soviets' attacks on institutions as much as by economic devastation and were also Pro-Russian land and water poucy, raids organizations, and policies that facilitated the death by of 1,000,000 Muslims, facilitated the revolt. It began 1918 and lasted until 1931. Pro-Russian land and water poUcy, cavalry raids against religious organizations, and policies that facilitated the death by of 1,000,000 Muslims, facilitated the revolt. From 1925 to 1930, the Basmachi continued raids on Soviet Central Asia from Afghanistan where they enjoyed a carte blanche to move around and organize. But from 1925, the Soviets offered neutrality in return for cessation of Afghan support to the Basmachi and simultaneously conducted raids into Afghan territories.

Bacha i Sagao was Staunchly anti-Soviet. This led to a Basmachi renaissance. Moscow now sent large troop contingents to Central Asia. They fought a brutal counterinsurgency war; and they deported 270,000 Central Asians. Dushanbe, Namangan, Andizhan, and Margelan were burned to the ground another 1,200 villages were destroyed, and other cities were severely damaged. Nevertheless, the fighting raged on. Moscow then decided to invade Afghanistan to establish a local Communist party which could proclaim a Soviet regime and then invite assistance.

Little is written of Habibullah Khan's nine-month reign, but most historians agree that he could not have held onto power for very long under any conditions. The powerful Pashtun tribes, including the Ghilzai, who had initially supported him against Amanullah, chafed under rule by a non-Pashtun. When Amanullah's last feeble attempt to regain his throne failed, those next in line were the Musahiban brothers, who were also Muhammadzai Barakzai and whose great-grandfather was an older brother of Dost Mohammad.

The five prominent Musahiban brothers included Nadir Khan, the eldest, who had been Amanullah's former minister of war. They were permitted to cross through the North-West Frontier Province (NWFP) to enter Afghanistan and take up arms. Once on the other side, however, they were not allowed back and forth across the border to use British territory as a sanctuary, nor were they allowed to gather together a tribal army on the British side of the Durand Line. However, the Musahiban brothers and the tribes successfully ignored these restrictions.

After several unsuccessful attempts, Nadir and his brothers finally raised a sufficiently large force--mostly from the British side of the Durand Line--to take Kabul on October 10, 1929. Six days later, Nadir Shah, the eldest of the Musahiban brothers, was proclaimed monarch. Habibullah fled Kabul, was captured in Kohistan, and executed on November 3, 1929.

In 1930, Moscow adopted a policy of hot pursuit, thus abrogating the 1926 neutrality treaty. Now, the Afghan army acted; it chased the Basmachi into the Soviet Union where, after several months of bitter fighting in 1931, Basmachi leader Ibrahim Bek was captured, tried, and executed. A new treaty with Kabul sealed the border and led to the speedy termination of the revolt.

Both stories ya notice talk of an under ground storage room caves of treasure north of Kabul?

You will notice a family connection????

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TT

Hardluck did some research on a man in the 1930,s that may be connected to this treasure. Afganistan treasure

The man who seized Kabul from Amanullah is usually described by historians as a Tajik bandit. A native of Kala Khan, a village thirty kilometers north of Kabul, the new Afghan ruler dubbed himself Habibullah Khan, but others called him Bacha-i Saqao or Bacha-i Saqqao (Son of the Water Carrier). His attack on Kabul was shrewdly timed to follow the Shinwari rebellion and the defection of much of the army. Habibullah was probably the first Tajik to rule this region since before the Greeks arrived (although some historians believe the Ghorids of the twelfth century to have been Tajiks).

View attachment 1063163

Underlying the predominant Afghan and Ghilzai elements in Afghan ethnography is the Tajik, representing the original Persian possessor of the soil, who still speaks his mother tongue. There are pure Persians in Afghanistan, such as the Kizzilbashes of Kabul, and the Naoshinvanis of Kharan; but tho name Tajik appears to be applied only to an admixture of original Arab and Persian stock (such as tho Dehwars), who were the slaves of the community — bowers of wood and drawers of water. Everywhere the Tajiks were the cultivators in rural districts, and the shopkeepers and clerks in the towns. The Tajik was as much the slave of the Pathan in Afghanistan as was the Hindki (whose origin was similar) in the plains of the Indus. Yet the Tajik population of the richly-cultivated districts north of Kabul proved themselves to be of good fighting material in the Afghan war of 1S79-80, and the few Kizzilbashes that were to be found in the ranks of the British Indian army were good soldiers.

The anti-Soviet Basmachi insurgency in Soviet Central Asia was staffed by peasants; but some elements of the commercial classes of Central Asia, motivated by the Soviets' attacks on institutions as much as by economic devastation and were also Pro-Russian land and water poucy, raids organizations, and policies that facilitated the death by of 1,000,000 Muslims, facilitated the revolt. It began 1918 and lasted until 1931. Pro-Russian land and water poUcy, cavalry raids against religious organizations, and policies that facilitated the death by of 1,000,000 Muslims, facilitated the revolt. From 1925 to 1930, the Basmachi continued raids on Soviet Central Asia from Afghanistan where they enjoyed a carte blanche to move around and organize. But from 1925, the Soviets offered neutrality in return for cessation of Afghan support to the Basmachi and simultaneously conducted raids into Afghan territories.

Bacha i Sagao was Staunchly anti-Soviet. This led to a Basmachi renaissance. Moscow now sent large troop contingents to Central Asia. They fought a brutal counterinsurgency war; and they deported 270,000 Central Asians. Dushanbe, Namangan, Andizhan, and Margelan were burned to the ground another 1,200 villages were destroyed, and other cities were severely damaged. Nevertheless, the fighting raged on. Moscow then decided to invade Afghanistan to establish a local Communist party which could proclaim a Soviet regime and then invite assistance.

Little is written of Habibullah Khan's nine-month reign, but most historians agree that he could not have held onto power for very long under any conditions. The powerful Pashtun tribes, including the Ghilzai, who had initially supported him against Amanullah, chafed under rule by a non-Pashtun. When Amanullah's last feeble attempt to regain his throne failed, those next in line were the Musahiban brothers, who were also Muhammadzai Barakzai and whose great-grandfather was an older brother of Dost Mohammad.

The five prominent Musahiban brothers included Nadir Khan, the eldest, who had been Amanullah's former minister of war. They were permitted to cross through the North-West Frontier Province (NWFP) to enter Afghanistan and take up arms. Once on the other side, however, they were not allowed back and forth across the border to use British territory as a sanctuary, nor were they allowed to gather together a tribal army on the British side of the Durand Line. However, the Musahiban brothers and the tribes successfully ignored these restrictions.

After several unsuccessful attempts, Nadir and his brothers finally raised a sufficiently large force--mostly from the British side of the Durand Line--to take Kabul on October 10, 1929. Six days later, Nadir Shah, the eldest of the Musahiban brothers, was proclaimed monarch. Habibullah fled Kabul, was captured in Kohistan, and executed on November 3, 1929.

In 1930, Moscow adopted a policy of hot pursuit, thus abrogating the 1926 neutrality treaty. Now, the Afghan army acted; it chased the Basmachi into the Soviet Union where, after several months of bitter fighting in 1931, Basmachi leader Ibrahim Bek was captured, tried, and executed. A new treaty with Kabul sealed the border and led to the speedy termination of the revolt.

Both stories ya notice talk of an under ground storage room caves of treasure north of Kabul?

You will notice a family connection????

Crow

thanks Crow,,it seems there is quite a long background to the story.

Though not related to the treasure we are discussing,there was another Kabul secret Palace treasure hoard of the 1980s that was re-discovered some years back.

Hidden Treasures From the National Museum, Afghanistan, Schedule, Photos, Information -- National Geographic

tintin treasure

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT I dares saw with centuries of conflict the region has had there many still be many treasures of the silk road to be found.

What I cannot find is the place name Torikhel in Afghanistan. It might of used to be an old name for a particular area?

Suggestions anyone?

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TT I dares saw with centuries of conflict the region has had there many still be many treasures of the silk road to be found.

What I cannot find is the place name Torikhel in Afghanistan. It might of used to be an old name for a particular area?

Suggestions anyone?

Crow

Hello Crow

If it is Tori Khel (rather than Torikhel) there seems to be such a place in Pakistan,you also see this name in google book documents.check the map below
Tori Khel Map | Pakistan Google Satellite Maps

tintin treasure

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT That is clever thought as newspaper some thing run unfamiliar words or names together. Well done

When researching these legends we have to ask why the newspaper Hardluck showed mention that and and Tribal area in Pakistan?

What need to Identify where was Bacha-i Saqao or Bacha-i Saqqao alternative spelling versions mountain stronghold?????

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, but it would seem any search in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the surrounding areas would present too much risk in our lifetimes….
From the hostile residents, difficult terrain and climate, criminals and UXO, it would seem the risks are considerable.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Doc indeed I cannot agree more. But treasure legends like this can be rather nice mind candy for brain to help you rewire your research methods.

Infact as you type you where doing it. Evaluating and assessing risk factor into the research equation of the treasure legend in the proverbial ticking of the boxes is it not?

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, but it would seem any search in Afghanistan, Pakistan and the surrounding areas would present too much risk in our lifetimes….
From the hostile residents, difficult terrain and climate, criminals and UXO, it would seem the risks are considerable.

Of-course if we move into conspiracy zone, there is the belief in Afghanisn that the American troops or CIA were/are also on the trail for the Ahmed Shah hoard. The CIA spy elites were also gossiped to have taken the Yamashita gold in the philipines to fund thier cold war spy operations.In the present post cold world where the spy elites of CIA are engaged in thier world wide campaigns like Afghanistan etc ,they may feel they have the right to use Ahmed Shah treasure to fund thier expensive operations in Afganhistan and elsewhere. The fact Taliban was also looking for it gives the Americans the extra motivation to get to the hoard first rather than the Taliban.

tintin treasure

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT the trouble with conspiracy theorists they conveniently over look things if it does not fit their agenda. And when their claims are disproved they scream cover up.... Better to look for the facts and have no opinion, as the facts over time from dedicated research will tell ya the real story.

Crow

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh yes our wise black feathered one……..but you have been around enough to know that about all is some conspiracy……conspiracy upon conspiracy…..
Things are never quite as they seem…….and yes, risk assessment is essential to both survival and success……

And discussing, researching these legends is mind candy and more…….we learn of people, patterns, and there is more than an isolated case where some of the principle players (groups) show up in different locations……..hmm, why is that????
I would guess with a high degree of certainly that you could offer some insight into this, but then again, speaking too much many not be good for longevity…..

Vaya con Dios mis amigos…….

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread