Who believes José Gaspar was a real pirate? And what are your thoughts on the legend?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
José Gaspar, known by his nickname Gasparilla (supposedly lived c. 1756 – 1821), was a purported Spanish pirate, the "last of the Buccaneers," who is claimed to have raided the west coast of Florida during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Though he is a popular figure in Florida folklore, no evidence of his existence appears in writing before the early 20th century.
DO YOU believe he actually existed ?
And your thoughts on the story.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
José Gaspar, known by his nickname Gasparilla (supposedly lived c. 1756 – 1821), was a purported Spanish pirate, the "last of the Buccaneers," who is claimed to have raided the west coast of Florida during the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Though he is a popular figure in Florida folklore, no evidence of his existence appears in writing before the early 20th century.
DO YOU believe he actually existed ?
And your thoughts on the story.

I am not sure if he existed either in the context he is presented? however you should find some interesting info posted in previous posts on the topic.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends/384086-jose-gaspar-real-pirate.html

Crow

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S... Thanks for the link crow... But I have already read EVERYTHING not only on the internet but everything written as well.
Been reading bout ole Jose for a long... long... long... time... as well as every other pirate... over and over... version after version.
Im 46...and I started reading about and interested in pirates, privateers, Spanish galleons, discovery, trade, gold, treasure, treasure hunting... etc etc etc
and basically everything centered around historical life at sea around age 5.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello ARRC

Well this old Crow can't say he has researched him in depth. However I have not a strong opinion on him either way. I have not seen conclusive proof of whether he existed or not. For me there are too many variables that do meet criteria in which I look for in a legend.

Since I have not the long life span of Our esteemed amigo Don Jose I have to be rather selective. Although all treasure legends interest me to a certain degree and I wish you all the best in your own research. However One thing this battered raggedy old Crow does know is Treasure legends have a way of biting you on the ass. This old Bird has lost more than his fair share of tail feathers....

Its late and once again old Crow is burning the midnight hours..

Crow

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello ARRC

Well this old Crow can't say he has researched him in depth. However I have not a strong opinion on him either way. I have not seen conclusive proof of whether he existed or not. For me there are too many variables that do meet criteria in which I look for in a legend.

Since I have not the long life span of Our esteemed amigo Don Jose I have to be rather selective. Although all treasure legends interest me to a certain degree and I wish you all the best in your own research. However One thing this battered raggedy old Crow does know is Treasure legends have a way of biting you on the ass. This old Bird has lost more than his fair share of tail feathers....

Its late and once again old Crow is burning the midnight hours..

Crow

Heh... agreed.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I used to believe in Gaspar but I found so much research info that contradicts the story. I posted this last year when the same question came up:

There is a new book out "Pirates of Southwest Florida, Fact and Legend" by James F. and Sarah Jane Kaserman that debunks some of the stories of Gasparilla. First of all there was a Spanish Catholic missionary named Gasparillo that had a mission on the island that bears his name. (2) Most of the islands around Charlotte Harbor were named by the Cuban Spanish fishermen that lived there since the 1600's. (3) The Spanish kept meticulous records and there is no mention of Gasparilla in the archives. (4) The person who gets most of the credit for the Gasparilla myth is John Gomez who drowned around 1900 at the age of 122. (5) The first written version of Gasparilla appeared in an advertising brochure of the Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad Co. printed in 1900. The brochure relied heavily on the stories told by John Gomez.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I could change yer mind ?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe he was a pirate and I believe the legend/story is NEAR/CLOSE to correct.
I have believed since I was young... but never had any real reason/facts to base this on. I just believe that most legends stem from factual events... even if distorted.
Then I ran across something years ago researching something totally unrelated... Which solidified my beliefs. (ok how about "gelled" my beliefs).
Which I can not and will not share "openly" here.
Which I know... sucks... beings I am the one who started this thread and all... and I ask for others to give up their ideas/info.
BUT... that is exactly why I started this thread... just to see who out there believes in what and etc.
Curious you could say.

I believe in a lot of things... but where and when and other aspects of this legend/story told is... well...
lets just keep it a simple 3 letter descriptive word that says it all... OFF.

So much off... that the truth has been obscured by the clouds of slack/lost/doctored historical records... OH AND
Greedy manipulitive land developing salesmen.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to believe in Gaspar but I found so much research info that contradicts the story. I posted this last year when the same question came up:

There is a new book out "Pirates of Southwest Florida, Fact and Legend" by James F. and Sarah Jane Kaserman that debunks some of the stories of Gasparilla. First of all there was a Spanish Catholic missionary named Gasparillo that had a mission on the island that bears his name. (2) Most of the islands around Charlotte Harbor were named by the Cuban Spanish fishermen that lived there since the 1600's. (3) The Spanish kept meticulous records and there is no mention of Gasparilla in the archives. (4) The person who gets most of the credit for the Gasparilla myth is John Gomez who drowned around 1900 at the age of 122. (5) The first written version of Gasparilla appeared in an advertising brochure of the Charlotte Harbor and Northern Railroad Co. printed in 1900. The brochure relied heavily on the stories told by John Gomez.
...In 1904, Mary Louise Dodge, society editor of the TAMPA TRIBUNE, along with friends, created the Gasparilla myth to give history overnight to Tampa, and enabled the movers and shakers of Tampa to establish their own styled Marti Gras.
The fact that Gaspar the pirate never existed didn't stop tales of buried treasure creep out of Dodge's created lore.
In the 1990's, treasure hunter, L Frank Hudson and crew, destroyed several Calusa burial mounds in search of this non-existent treasure, Hudson and his team were charged and found guilty of destroying REAL history in search of false created history.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That actually played no part to the legend... its vise versa... Gaspar story was around LONG before that.
That legend played the part for the excuse to party... hence The Gasparilla Parade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread