pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering just how many mines have been found in the Southern California area. I have heard that the Brandt Mine was found as well as the Lost Arch Mine. I have a story and pixs on the Lost Arch. Does anyone else have any " proof " ( photo's, article's, GPS coord. etc. ) Or if you would just like to share something you know or have heard,seen, know. Please post what you are willing..

Thankx
PLL

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Pl looker,

This is a frequently asked question by a beginner.
Since no one has answered, here goes...

The reason you will learn soon enough that a find especially as large as a mine is a very private affair that the finder wants to keep to themselves. There are factors like the government, interlopers, and other nare do well things that will cause the special experience to become more of a nightmare.

This is a question we do not ask.

These facts will be noted as time passes. and will all be done in a fashion so as the identity of the finder is private.
If the finder learns from other hunter's past experiences.

Regards

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, However I asked this question so that no one goes looking for something that has already been found. I'm sure nobody wants to spend the time and research, when with this forum, it could be answered quickly. Maybe my question was to broad. I am only looking for anyone who has heard of a article in a treasure mag or newspaper clipping or things in print that I would be able to find. If someone has " personal " info and wants to share it I won't say no... Just send me a pm or email. Privacy is very sacred here and I understand that. I have 1000's of pages of newspaper clippings and other material. Most of it from the 1800's- early 1900's. I just want to compile as much as I can. But you are right about not giving too much info, I'm not here to divulge anyone's secrets just to find out some local info..

Thankx
PLL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While Old Dog is right about what he says, a lot of the old mines were reopened and worked out. The Lost Shotgun Mine, The Dutch Oven Mine, Hank Brandt Mine, are some of the mines I know were found (in Cali). In AZ, there is the Lost Skull Mine (found by a friend of mine, and not what it was cracked up to be), I think the Opatas (Silver Mine reworked until played out by Mexican Miners), Pure Concepcion (Silver and Gold Mine found and mostly emptied in the late thirties, if you believe the story by Milton Rose).

Frank Fish found a strongbox (containing gold coin and ingots) and some large gold/silver balls around the Robber's Roost (near Inyokern, Ca).

Looking for the Lost Pearl Galleon in the Anza-Borrego Desert I think is a waste of time (unless for historical reasons). The ground is so acidic in Anza-Borrego, the pearls would have long ago dissolved.

There are several good gold and old weapons cache stories South of Interstate 8 (SoCal), but that close to the border is sketchy at best. BLM and Border Patrol usually don't allow driving anywhere near the border (in remote areas), and chances are good of you running into Illegals and/or Drug Mules in the area.

PegLeg's Black Nuggets are always a good look, and from the five or six known locations (approximate) of Black Nugget finds, you still have a good chance of hitting it big.

Most of the known stories have been hunted to death. Many of them are tall tales. Some of them are true, but have been found. And some are true, but the facts have been so twisted over the many years and many retellings, that any bit of original truth in them is long lost. ........and then, there are the few stories that have a basis in fact, and haven't been found (for whatever reason). They are few, but they are out there.

I have said it before, and I will repeat it here: "There are lots of unknown stories out there. The only way to find them out is to research libraries, and talk to some old timers, and Local Historical Societies. They will many times break a story to you that you have never heard before. I have a few like that. Sometimes they will give an old story a new twist, and give you a long missing clue."

Best,

Mike

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
PLL,

For anyone looking for the Pegleg, I would suggest you take a look at Gene Reynolds CD book, Borrego 13.

If you are interested, send me your name and email address, and I will let Gene know. I will ask him if he would mind if I post his email address, and anyone interested could contact him.

Joe Ribaudo

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I would only add that the famous Breyfogle lost ledge is almost certainly one and the same with the NOT lost Amargosa mine. Experts who have compared ore samples said the ores are identical, which is conclusive as gold ores are as identifiable as fingerprints; also Breyfogle himself supposedly visited the Amargosa mine while out searching for his lost ledge, took one look at the ore and quit searching - never went looking again.

One must also be careful not to take every claim of having "found" famous lost mines as fact either - for no less than forty have claimed to have "found" the famous lost Dutchman mine for example, yet it appears that only one ever truly found Waltz's mine and he died shortly afterwards. Especially when the "found" lost mine turns out not to have ore of the correct type, it is common for an ore body not to be quite as rich as 'bonana' ore samples, but when the ore type is utterly wrong (like being a silver-lead ore, when the lost mine was supposed to be gold-silver for example) the claim that it must be the lost mine is highly questionable. Some very extraordinary claims have been made by folks claiming to have found famous lost mines, when in fact they did find SOME old lost ledge or mine or prospect, just NOT the one they claimed to have found, just a rather ordinary old mine that simply was not famous because it was not a rich deposit.

Good luck and good hunting to you, hope you find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread