Davis mountain / skeleton canyon

Bobchallenge

Mar 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for information on this supposed treasure and the area that it's located in, looking to talk with people that know the area and have actively look for this treasure , recently acquired a handwritten map from the mid-1850s . This map is been in possession of two different families in the last hundred years. I am an experienced treasure hunter but I do not know this area of Arizona and New Mexico looking for someone with knowledge and lives in the area. Looking to form a partnership or group ?

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking for information on this supposed treasure and the area that it's located in, looking to talk with people that know the area and have actively look for this treasure , recently acquired a handwritten map from the mid-1850s . This map is been in possession of two different families in the last hundred years. I am an experienced treasure hunter but I do not know this area of Arizona and New Mexico looking for someone with knowledge and lives in the area. Looking to form a partnership or group ?

Back in the late 1970s, a guy from somewhere back East came into Silver City looking for topo maps. He didn't reveal much, but as I recall, he claimed that he was a descendant of one of the outlaws who allegedly stole the money and hid it. The most interesting part of the conversation was that the guy said that the Davis Mountain that appears on maps on the eastern side of the Chiricahuas in AZ is not the Davis Mountain associated with the story. He claimed that in order to confuse people, the outlaws hid the money on another mountain and called it Davis Mountain too - just among themselves. It was like a coded location with the gang members. Their Davis Mountain was located somewhere between Lordsburg and Silver City and was thought it was unnamed in the 1800s - at least that's what the guy claimed. I have no idea if the guy was for real or just another talker.

ClantonGang

Apr 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know more then I care to comfortably post. I know where over 90% of everything is and have been to each. I also have a Letter from Maggie Clinger who worked at the jail where the outlaws were held. unsolved mysteries has her as living in a cave looking for the treasure. FALSE. she wrote letters and sent them to the outlaws family's with maps in exchange for the information. I also have spoken to family members of the outlaws who also received some of the same info I have. I know where they even burned the wagons. My dad went to his grave hunting this at the age of 88 years old. He collected a lot of detailed info on it. To be honest I really don't care about it that much as the Government has taken the fun out of it. I don't care to publish the info I have but would share with a few who would enjoy the hunt as with what is in the area you can bet the Government would know as soon as you found it and you would be on camera wile hunting.

ClantonGang

Apr 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also know Maggie Clinger worked at the jail as I have validated that info. From not only talking to people from the Time period but from records on file. Something unsolved mystery's missed. I have details that would make the Hair stand up on your neck.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Out-laws sound like a bunch of "Johnny Rebs" naming the mountain, in honor of Jefferson Davis, Prez of CSA. Could it be part of the "missing" CSA Treasury for WESTERN states...? Traveling on Beale Wagon Trail, now known as Rt. 66...? :dontknow: :coffee2:

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread here, I might add I know of a large type chest dug up close to where I live in Nevada,crammed full of gold coins,paper money and documents, all Confederate related,years ago...I believe there are yet plenty more these treasures to be found..Most likely most were buried on sympathisers of the Confederacy propertys, close to where the old railroad lines/tracks used to run.Luck to those who search.

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck in finding interested people to help you out. I live in Colorado otherwise I'd be more than happy to join you. The treasure isn't even a huge deal, it's more the experience. There's some legends here but nothing I'd go hunting for.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was found in 1957. Most of it was used to enlarge a ranch and purchase cattle. You guys have fun looking though. :occasion14:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, You may not be at liberty to provide details and I get it. But can you at least expose the location to those of us who document try and document finds for history?

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kingman ,Arizona, area, I also know where the old railroad spurs used to run,as I:ve seen remminants of them.
Now I might add, The Night THEY DROVE OLE DIXIE DOWN, is a song that goes through my head sometimes like a train with no stops...Grapes Of Wraith, and a song in a Clint Eastwood movie,about the Civil War also , Josie.

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought all were gunned down except the one buried with the coffin full of rocks.

Who got buried in a coffin full of rocks? who got gunned down? Isn't this story regarding two men: Richard "Zwing" Hunt and Billy Grounds ( William Boucher) half brother to Maggie Clinger?

grounds was buried in Tombstone, Hunt in Hunt Canyon. Are you referring to Hunt as the coffin of rocks? He was not buried in a coffin. His bones at one time after his burial, became exposed and were re-buried.

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
Who got buried in a coffin full of rocks? who got gunned down? Isn't this story regarding two men: Richard "Zwing" Hunt and Billy Grounds ( William Boucher) half brother to Maggie Clinger?

grounds was buried in Tombstone, Hunt in Hunt Canyon. Are you referring to Hunt as the coffin of rocks? He was not buried in a coffin. His bones at one time after his burial, became exposed and were re-buried.

Oh, just going off some private correspondence I was given to archive. May not be the real story. May be the only real story. Sounds like you have researched it a lot more than me using what you have at your disposal. I don't have all the newspaper trinkets for this one. I am lucky enough to at least stare out the window at the general area when I drive past. Stomped some ground in the region, but not really with a dedicated plan to try and solve this. Zanz. Hmm, an ugly half-palindrome. If only we knew where Davis Mountain and Silver Spring were back then...

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, just going off some private correspondence I was given to archive. May not be the real story. May be the only real story. Sounds like you have researched it a lot more than me using what you have at your disposal. I don't have all the newspaper trinkets for this one. I am lucky enough to at least stare out the window at the general area when I drive past. Stomped some ground in the region, but not really with a dedicated plan to try and solve this. Zanz. Hmm, an ugly half-palindrome. If only we knew where Davis Mountain and Silver Spring were back then...

Consider the area near the gravel pit at Lordsburg.

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
Consider the area near the gravel pit at Lordsburg.

I always liked that area for the tale about the two guys who dared each other to last the night. One lost to a hatchet, and the other cached some of the loot and never made it back due to prison. Think it's in Jameson's NM mishmash. Main trail's in the wrong place though.

warbike39

Nov 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canton Gang, It really sounds like your Dad enjoyed the hunt. I would love to continue the hunt for him if you are willing to share any info with me.
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread