61.3 KB · Views: 13,627

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Oroblanco
Your scientific name for those "Birds"
Teratorns Argentavis

Reminded me, Argentina = Peru
I read about an expediation into the Deserts of Peru, looking for Prehistoric Ruins
In the "Foot Hills" they came across the Bones, of a huge Bird(s) !
It fits with the American Indians Legend of a Huge Bird(s) that would ride the
Storm Fronts (High Storm Clouds) coming out of the south (America ?)
Thus, the name "ThunderBirds" ! :thumbsup:
& That were able to pick up small animals etc !
Of Course!
The "White Eyes" all "snickered" :tongue3: at this Wild Idea/story!
The same as they did when the local Tribes, told of "White Men" coming up the Rio Grande River :wink:
"They" Of Course, were referring to the "Celtic Expediations" (Mining)

Some 2500! years ago! :o

AND!
This is Also a PROVEN FACT! :icon_study:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Old Dog wrote:
I was able to get ahold of a guy who I knew took a picture of a thunderbird in NM.
His name is Randy Lewis. He did give me permission to use his picture for this thread.

That is a cool photo Thom! I wonder how it came out looking so much like the 'legendary' Thunderbird?

Cptbild wrote:
I read about an expediation into the Deserts of Peru, looking for Prehistoric Ruins
In the "Foot Hills" they came across the Bones, of a huge Bird(s) !

You know Capn Bill, one has to wonder whether those "legends" are really so fictional after all - when we know there were actual birds that fit the description of the Thunderbirds so perfectly? Then too, finding BONES and not fossils, well to me that means that bird could not have been dead for zillions of years either. I know the Cherokee legends of Thunderbirds, that included the birds carrying off children to eat! :o There are similar legends found among tribes in the Southwest too. We even have the story told to Coronado about how a local tribe had problems with a Thunderbird carrying off children so they went to the cave where it lived and built a big fire to kill it.
Oroblanco

Switch

Aug 15, 2012
Truth or Consequences(Hot Springs)
Detector(s) used
just my brain and sometimes a metal detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a big one among the cryptozoology (study of unknown or unidentified creatures i.e bigfoot) rings. There is a reputed photograph of a Thunderbird, which was shot and then nailed to a barn. Six men are said to stand legs out and arms out in front of this thing. The wingspan would have been roughly 36 feet in length. While many older cryptozoologists seem to recall seeing this photo at one time or another, nobody seems to have a copy of it. Such a thing would be a treasure in its own right, and could make somebody well known.
A few people recall seeing it in an old textbook or something along those lines. This is a really well known thing among the cryptid hunters, and is actually one of the more popular legends. If anyone has any hits on such a photograph, I'd love to hear about it.

This is a rough sketch of what the photo may look like.

enhanced-buzz-6377-1355938185-7.jpg . This one?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
When and where was this photo taken?
That looks like a pteradactle.
Was that in a tabloid type newsrag and was there a story included?

Last edited:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always love hearing about stories about the Thunderbird as it makes you wonder....

Here is an alleged picture of a Thunderbird below,,,, I leave that to you decide the authenticy of it?

ef956214f246fedc11e636f38da1356c.jpg

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a researcher in Chile who believes there are several places in the world where these creature exist. They are hardly ever seen because they are generally believed nocturnal as their main source of Food is bats. And in the last few years there has been many reports in Papua new Guinea.

Mal

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
There is a researcher in Chile who believes there are several places in the world where these creature exist. They are hardly ever seen because they are generally believed nocturnal as their main source of Food is bats. And in the last few years there has been many reports in Papua new Guinea.

Mal

That is interesting! Thank you Mariner for sharing it!

Please do continue,
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Barton

Apr 21, 2005
Abiquiu, NM
Detector(s) used
What ever is needed for the project I am working on--I am a cache hunter
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I live in Abiquiu, NM Looking to the West from Bodies store one can see a "THUNDERBIRD" --ABOUT A HALF MILE OFF--IT IS ABOUT 600 FEET ON IT'S WIND SPAN
IT IS ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE ROAD LOOKING WEST.

Barton

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread