Treasure of the Florida

kfay

Apr 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, everyone, I am a diver who loves something to do when they are underwater. I recently bought a little underwater metal detector hoping to clean up fishing sinkers and maybe find some cool stuff. The more I read about the treasure fleet of 1715 the more I want to go searching for treasure. I will be diving as I am more of a diver than a treasure hunter, I am looking for some advice on where to go (I do live in FL) and what teqnique to use underwater. I am not a very serious treasure hunter just looking for some tips on how where to go along the "treasure coast" for a nice shore dive/treasure hunt. I understand vero beach is very good? If someone knows alot about more Florida/Carribean treasures please share with me I am very intrueged!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
kfay: Enthusiasm is a necessary first step. It should be tempered with knowledge. Call me a buster or a buzzkill - the laws in Florida are very strict about underwater hunting. Study them carefully before you land yourself in a heap of trouble.

The best way to deal with a spot of bother is to not get into it in the first place.

I recently purchased from Kellyco (a supporting TN vendor - see their website on the Forums page) the very interesting book The Reale Deal; Metal Detecting the Florida Treasure Coast, by Fred Banke (2017). It is a thorough, complete guide to beach treasure hunting with a metal detector, written by a person who has done it. It's biggest flaw, in my view, is that it doesn't devote enough time to a careful discuss about what is legal and what isn't - and how a person can keep up to date on the laws, rules and regulations.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet kfay ! You will find helpful and knowledgeable people here. Some may share, and some may not - such is the life. By all means it is interesting here.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed that this is your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard kfay! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no laws that prohibit the use of metal detectors in the water, except for the shipwreck leases, national parks, and at state parks in Florida, that require written permission.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I am not an expert on the subject. Before I risked losing a detector I paid several hundreds for, or even arrest, I would be sure about what is legal and what isn't.

"Even worse, Florida law is head-scratchingly complex when it comes to finding valuables in or around the ocean. If lost rings or jewelry wash ashore or are hidden near the surface, it's generally OK to keep them. But any historical artifact found at sea needs to be reported to state officials, and would-be archaeologists are forbidden from excavating below the sand in state waters, which extend from the high-tide line to three miles out, says Corey Malcom,chief archaeologist at the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum in Key West."

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/floridas-metal-detector-fanatics-fight-high-tide-and-murky-laws-6392789

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kfay

Apr 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, everyone for the great input/advice! Does anyone have a map of the projected crash spots of the Spanish vessel? Not looking to steal treasure from anyone just curious.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
kfay:

The book I mentioned above includes a map. Look at the Kellyco website for a more complete description.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
K

kfay

Apr 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kfay:

The book I mentioned above includes a map. Look at the Kellyco website for a more complete description.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Thanks, I will look into that for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread