I hope I've picked the right forum for this. Has anyone heard of a find of bars in...

Scotius

Greenie
Dec 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone heard of a find of bars of gold-silver amalgam in a cave in the US?

I recently read about this story and wanted to find it because my dad is interested in reading up on it.

A fellow actually found this treasure. According to news reports the find consisted of bars of a mix of gold and silver with 60% being gold and 40% silver as I recall. The pile he found, which I THINK he found in a cave was 5 feet high, 35 feet deep, and 50 feet long if I recall correctly.

You'd think a reference to this would be easy to find online but I'm doing Google searches and the results I'm getting don't include this story, which I just recently read.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone heard of a find of bars of gold-silver amalgam in a cave in the US?

I recently read about this story and wanted to find it because my dad is interested in reading up on it.

A fellow actually found this treasure. According to news reports the find consisted of bars of a mix of gold and silver with 60% being gold and 40% silver as I recall. The pile he found, which I THINK he found in a cave was 5 feet high, 35 feet deep, and 50 feet long if I recall correctly.

You'd think a reference to this would be easy to find online but I'm doing Google searches and the results I'm getting don't include this story, which I just recently read.

Hello Scotius

There are so many of these stories its hard to know what are invented 20th century treasure yarns and what stories have a little more truth to the story? Without a clue in which state this discovery had been made? Its like trying to find a needle in haystack.

One story springs to mind. There was a 1908 newspaper story of man out hunting in Arizona near place called Pioneer finding cave. And exploring cave found a bit of board sticking out of back wall of the cave. It was remains of a wooden box. Several silver bars fell out onto the floor reportedly worth 50000 dollars. The name of man was Jack Thornton.

I did find an electoral role of jack Thornton living in the area who was listed as a store owners or manager a few years later. And a grave site. Was he this alleged Jack Thornton who made this discovery? Nothing can be certain....

Sadly that's the nature of these stories.

Kanacki

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could he be referring to Dennis and the Dents Run debaucle?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Most stories about treasure, both lost and found, are just that. Stories. There are many hundreds that fit your narrative.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
S

Scotius

Greenie
Dec 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kanacki. I wasn't aware of that story, but I'm sure it's a different one as this other one is much more recent and better documented. It was a legitimate find, and the guy is hugely rich now. Too bad he's not a bit more famous though or it'd be easier to find info on his find. :)

In other news I just read of a fellow in Utah who's found a treasure which the US Army is giving him the runaround about. They're saying if he gives up the location he's entitled to NO percentage, which I think is sick, but he's not divulging it. He'll let it sit there before he gives it up for nothing. Good for him.

Hello Scotius

There are so many of these stories its hard to know what are invented 20th century treasure yarns and what stories have a little more truth to the story? Without a clue in which state this discovery had been made? Its like trying to find a needle in haystack.

One story springs to mind. There was a 1908 newspaper story of man out hunting in Arizona near place called Pioneer finding cave. And exploring cave found a bit of board sticking out of back wall of the cave. It was remains of a wooden box. Several silver bars fell out onto the floor reportedly worth 50000 dollars. The name of man was Jack Thornton.

I did find an electoral role of jack Thornton living in the area who was listed as a store owners or manager a few years later. And a grave site. Was he this alleged Jack Thornton who made this discovery? Nothing can be certain....

Sadly that's the nature of these stories.

Kanacki

OP
OP
S

Scotius

Greenie
Dec 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure that's not the same one, no.

OP
OP
S

Scotius

Greenie
Dec 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, this was a well documented find. The guy has started a museum or something if I recall correctly.

OP
OP
S

Scotius

Greenie
Dec 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not Victorio Peak. This is another treasure story. It was in a cave and it's a well documented find. Just not well enough that I can find the story :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most stories about treasure, both lost and found, are just that. Stories. There are many hundreds that fit your narrative.

Time for more coffee.

Actually... Opposite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread