Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mtz painting.jpg
mtz.jpg
mtz3.jpg

MOCTEZUMA II TREASURE MYSTERY
This is a matter that has been unresolved for the last 500 years. The more time goes by the only thing that gets rich is the great legend of the hidden treasures of Aztec royalty. But also, there are some findings that test the myth.
The first to see the treasure of Moctezuma II were Hernán Cortes and his men. Upon arrival in Tenochtitlán, the warriors were hosted at the Axayácatl Palace (now the Mount of Piedad of the Historic Center), the house where the emperor's father lived.
Upon arriving there, the guests were dedicated to hunting for treasures. They had heard rumors and when their hosts left them alone they took the opportunity. Desperate, they snooped around the residence until they found a superimposed tapia they threw down and found a door:
′′(...) and when it was opened, Cortes with certain captains entered first inside, and saw so much number of gold jewelry and plates, and many knitting, and chalchihuites stones and other great riches; they were elevated ", Bernal Diaz narrates of the Castle in the True History of the Conquer of New Spain.
The young Bernal, who embarked on the adventure of his life, recounts: ′′ As at that time I was mancebo and had not seen riches like those in my life, I had by the way that there should not be so many in the world ".
Riches, according to Mexican tradition, could not be touched by Emperor Moctezuma II. Treasures could only be increased, just like their father and grandfather had.
The wealthy fortune was protected in the so-called Teucalco. When that was opened, the Spaniards found gold artifacts such as earrings, headbands, pen tissues, fine shields, nose lunettes, ajorcas, necklaces, figurines, rings, bands, buttons and jewelry.

All the gold the conquerors found was melted and turned into bars. To their allies, the Tlaxcaltecas, they only gave them chalchihuites, jade stones, feathers and fine wood.
If anyone suffered for the treasures of the empire it was Cuauhtémoc. The emperor who fiercely fought foreigners decided to get rid of treasure days before the city fell.
After his capture, Cortes and his men tortured him to relate where the treasures were. But despite the escarmiento, there was nothing left in the emperor's coffers; the most they managed to get, after burning his feet with fire and burning him with boiling oil, was the confession that he had thrown everything into the lagoon.

The ambition of conquerors made them dive into the water in search of gold pieces, Cortes called the best swimmers in the troop and they managed to get out a portion of the treasure.
The informants later recounted to the friar Bernardino de Sahagún: ′′ How true is that (gold) that the Spaniards crave with great thirst, they widen their bodies for that reason, they are hungry furious for it. Like hungry pigs crave gold ".
Nothing was heard from that gold for centuries. Although many rumors claimed that part of the imperial treasures were thrown into the lagoon that is in the snowy Toluca, it was also suggested that they were under the lozas of some churches in Mexico City; the reasoning was that many of these were raised over Aztec ritual centers, where silver and gold were offered to the gods.
But if anyone has been close to enjoying the treasures of Moctezuma II, it is the humble Veracruzan fisherman RaĂşl Hurtado, who one morning went out, as usual, to fish octopuses in Punta Gorda, Veracruz, but what he found was a golden chest with embedded pectoral and jade.
The year of 1976. was running. The humble fisherman had found a source of riches guarded by octopuses. Most likely some Spanish galleon would have gone aground and sunk in that lonely sea frequented by pangas of fishermen.
Hurtado started fishing for treasures, in its secret place in front of the reefs of La Blanquilla. For days, he spent days frequenting his small source of treasures and with the complicity of a jeweler melted the pieces to exchange them for weights.

But someone discovered his secret, as man's small fortune grew beyond what octopuses allow.
Hurtado was arrested and beaten by police, and jailed for ′′ stealing the nation ".

Time later, the octopus fisherman helped archaeologists find more treasures on the reef. Part of these are shown at the Santiago Baluarte del Puerto de Veracruz.
On March 13, 1981, another man took a stroke of luck: Francisco Bautista found the ′′ Golden Tejo de la Alameda ", a gold bar of about two kilograms, 5 meters underground I love you so much The site of the finding is located on the side of the Alameda of Mexico City, where the offices of the Tax Administration System are now located.

The National Institute of Anthropology and History has just announced, thanks to fluorescent X-ray studies, that this piece of gold was melted between 1519 and 1520. Right in the years when Cortes and his men dedicated to melting the Imperial jewelry.
SOURCE:
https://piedepagina.mx/el-lugar-donde-se-encuentra-el-tesoro-de-moctezuma-ii/

Attachments

• mtz4.jpg
    mtz4.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 154

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice post. Hundreds of tons of gold masterworks, shipped back to Spain and melted into coin. Boggles the mind.

Also, It’s difficult to reconcile the legends of Moctezuma’s Treasure hidden in Utah, or anywhere in the USA when the Aztecs had countless hiding places in their own backyard.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Read my lengthy postings on AZTEC GOLD. I own a building lot on what belonged to Moctezuma II, and my lot is around 100 feet from the probable site of the remaining treasure. One of the tests for "legends" of gold is has anyone ever actually found gold there. Almost always, no.

In this case, the owner donated a large piece of gold for the new church bell, around 1910 or so. I have a photo image of the church tower being repaired in that time.

Though I believe the treasure is there, I hope you don't. We do not need seekers visiting us.

The extensive postings also tell why it might be in this location, as opposed to many other alleged places.

OP
OP
: Michael-Robert.

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bernal Díaz del Castillo (c. 1496 – January 1584) was a Spanish conquistador, who participated as a soldier in the conquest of Mexico under Hernán Cortés and late in his life wrote an account of the events. As an experienced soldier of fortune, he had already participated in expeditions to Tierra Firme, Cuba, and to Yucatán before joining Cortés. In his later years he was an encomendero and governor in Guatemala where he wrote his memoirs called The True History of the Conquest of New Spain. He began his account of the conquest almost thirty years after the events and later revised and expanded it in response to the biography published by Cortes's chaplain Francisco López de Gómara, which he considered to be largely inaccurate in that it did not give due recognition to the efforts and sacrifices of others in the Spanish expedition.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
In my research to decide if the treasure really is near my lot, the book by Bernal diaz was an important source of data. For example, was there evidence the treasure even existed after the Noche Triste to be brought up from Tenochtitlan? Cortes said the treasure was lost in the lake. Diaz said the Aztecs told him they were used to bringing things 0ut of the lake, and they got almost all of it back.

Much of my research was based on local tradition, of course. But, also much of it was based on trying to get inside the minds of the Aztecs. Not so much what did they do, but WHAT WOULD THEY HAVE DONE? Married into the Aztec family helped there. The Aztecs were, except for Moctezuma II, brilliant military strategists, so one has only to try to duplicate their decision making processes.

For example, it is a common theory that the Aztecs sent the treasure into New Mexico or Arizona. In a time when large numbers of soldiers were dying of small pox it made no sense to send hundreds of them to carry 15 tons to a place where it could probably never be retrieved. But, to a fort in the mountains well known to the whole crew, and no more than a couple days, yes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread