Treasure signs

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear johnnycat;
You probably don't need a book at all my friend. This forum has many highly knowledgeable and helpful members who can get you started in the right direction, or if you prefer, stick with me and I can get you started in the wrong direction. Either way, once you start, you'll be on the journey forever. It's a never ending quest for riches, knowledge and understanding. Good luck and welcome aboard the most exciting and addicting hobby in the world!
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
J

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lamar said:
Dear johnnycat;
You probably don't need a book at all my friend. This forum has many highly knowledgeable and helpful members who can get you started in the right direction, or if you prefer, stick with me and I can get you started in the wrong direction. Either way, once you start, you'll be on the journey forever. It's a never ending quest for riches, knowledge and understanding. Good luck and welcome aboard the most exciting and addicting hobby in the world!
Your friend;
LAMAR

Heck, I'm already going in the wrong direction!!! I'll be getting back to you.

Thanks

John

P

pippinwhitepaws

there is no wrong direction, if you learn from your travels.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should definitely get a few books:

Mike "Hawkeye" Pickett's "Treasure Hunters Field Notebook" www.treasurehuntersuniversity.com

Chuck Kenworthy's Books:
> "Spanish Monuments & Trailmarkers to Treasure"
> "Treasure Signs Symbols Shadow & Sun Signs"

That would be a good start, but you will find that (as my friend Lamar stated) once you get started, it will become an obsession (especially if you find something significant right away or know someone who has found something significant).

And Remember...................There is NO rehab for Treasure Hunting!

Best-Mike

P.S.

I see that you are in New Mexico. THAT is a great place to hunt! N.M. was the seat of Spanish Government in the far North of Nueva España.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Ditto on pickett's book. Johnny, the la luz trail leads to a mine. Is it Spanish? Can not find anything on that..however it is likely, don't you think? The thing to remember is that parts of the current trail are mostly a new one done sometimes in the 50's/60s? to prevent erosion And heart failure probably. Now it just takes longer to reach exhaustion hehe.. The old trail from what i read went basically straight up.

Anyway, that might be a nice hike to take and see what you can see. The donald duck formation could be interesting. And since you know where it is leading..well..it helps.

minetres

Mar 13, 2008
The two sets of books mentioned are good. The Kenworthy books were out first and he actulay went to Mexico, Santa Fe and Spain too research every thing in those books. He didn't put in all of the information but I know of one man who found a fortune with the knowledge he gained from those books I saw some of the gold bars. I really believe much of the information in the first book was copied from Kenworthy's. Even though it is still a good book easy too cary. Hawkeye actualy found a hidden mine in california with a turtle sign.

Minetres

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Get all the books, magazines, etc. you can lay your hands on. Find out who the online experts are. Talk to folks who have actually sought things. Listen to all the emotional and ardent points of view. Now, come to grips with the fact that your entire database is second-hand at the absolute best. If you'e a hobbiest and a talker, it doesn't matter. If for some reason, you are looking for the truth in these matters, see below:

Rule #1 for searchers: "Things are seldom as they seem".

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear springfield;
I tend to disagree with your statement:

Rule #1 for searchers: "Things are seldom as they seem".

in a very positive and upbeat way, of course. I find that things are ALWAYS as they seem, however our perception of how things SHOULD be is sometimes vastly different from the way that things actually are.
Your friend;
LAMAR

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now Lamar,

I see that you are trying your best best to be upbeat and merrily dash on the rocks the hopes and dreams of potential treasure hunters. ;D ;D ;D

Fear not Johnnycat,

Lamar just can't help himself, always and forever the optimistic skeptic.

I will tell you a thing or two about beginning treasure hunting. ALWAYS keep somebody like Lamar handy. They keep you honest. See, finding monuments (Amerindian, Spanish, Jesuit, Mexican, or Early American) is part Science and part Art. Too much of either will get you screwed up. Too much of the skeptical scientist, and you will dismiss some things you shouldn't. Too much Artsy Imagination, and you will be seeing 300 year old symbols in 5 year old bushes. It is a very fine line that only experience will teach you to balance.

When you start out, you see signs everywhere, because you are so enthusiastic. As time wears on, and you haven't found any great treasures, you start getting more pessimistic, and second guessing everything you see. From one end of the spectrum to the other.

You also need people like (I can't believe I'm saying this) Rangler, dsty, and the others that see a million signs in everything. They make you take a closer look at what you think you have, while people like Lamar keep you grounded, avoiding flights of fancy.

Lamar said "I find that things are ALWAYS as they seem, however our perception of how things SHOULD be is sometimes vastly different from the way that things actually are."

.........aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, sometimes yes, and sometimes no. Just look at the thread on the 17 Tons of gold. Through extant newspaper articles and autobiographies, we have found that there is a better than average chance that the cache Doc Noss found at Victorio Peak was not ancient at all, but likely some of the spoils of war of Pancho Villa (Doc Noss was mentioned as visiting a man in Los Angeles who was a member of Villa's Staff).

Best-Mike

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
"Rule #1 for searchers: "Things are seldom as they seem".
==================================
I also disagree with this statement, at least as rule #1. I mostly look at things from a KGC perspective though.

For me...

Rule#1 - Everything they did, they did for a reason.
ex. If 2 lines in a symbol don't quite come together but you think they just didn't get it right, don't assume that. However they are carved, it is done that way for a reason. That's one reason people think chalking carvings is bad. I disagree, you should chalk but when you chalk, just make sure you chalk them just as they were carved. Don't look at it, think it is an "E" or a "W" and go ahead and finish out an unfinished line. Chances are it is not a letter and definitely it is drawn "incorrectly" for a reason. I don't try to see anything in the carvings when I initially find them, I simply chalk lines as they are carved.

Rule#2 - Don't discount ANYTHING.
early on I discounted things that I just couldn't believe could be relevant or possible. That caused me to stumble until I opened my mind to all possibilities and only then did things make sense. Ex. Don't assume a tree looks too young (small) to have been used as a part of a layout. Another example, don't discount the KGC as using anything as a marker. If you are strictly looking for rocks, trees, and metal, then you are in trouble.

of course some will disagree with me but that's ok too.
Good luck,
Boattow

OP
OP
J

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all and thanks Gollum for the two book titles. Think I'll go talk to mama Santa Claus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread