1800s McCoy Estate Trees

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
1800's McCoy Estate Trees

Hey fellow TNers. Went back to the old McCoy Estate again this past Tuesday. I have tons of pictures to share, but it's been taking me forever to group and cut them to size this is the first batch. The tree markings, carvings, and possible maple taps. At least that's what the one looks like from studying the picture. If anyone wants to download this and see it in the size I had it originally, the image was 2411X2804. I had to cut the photo size down by almost 5 times and in the process made some of the descriptions below each tree hard to read. From left to right the first row: Tree One by fire pit across from stone chairs. Tree Two by fire pit across from stone chairs (possibly used for target practice, I'll look for evidence of bullets next time I'm there). Front of tree Three at campfire and stone chairs (you can see the path to the estate on the right of the picture). From left to right the second row: Back of Tree three at campfire and stone chairs (with possible evidence of maple tapping). Tree Four by gravesite-small rock pile Tree Five by turn in path leading to the orchard. I believe much of the carving is due to various campers. There is a possibility that Tree Three has been tapped more than once, by looking at the front of the tree and on its left (this is the third picture in first row). There are alot of trees that have bark like this and it is almost red in color. Is there red maples? And was the sap used from them for syrup or glues? I don't know much about it, but I remember seeing a show once about tapping and know they used straps to hold the tap in place, the tree has rings around these spots which may be there because of the straps. I believe Tree Five was possibly holding wire up for a fence, although I never studied the back of it. Enjoy the pics, hopefully someone can tell me for sure if Tree three was tapped and can tell me if the other markings are just camper boredom, or if they are symbols that may mean something else. Check out 1800's McCoy Estate Foundation Findings listed under Today's Finds and under What Is It, for more information on the first metal detecting excursion there, more pictures of our second trip to be posted under those forums as I get them ready. Thanks ahead of time for your help with IDing this.

Attachments

• 1800\'s McCoy Estate Tree Markings.JPG
    1800\'s McCoy Estate Tree Markings.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 651

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
Re: 1800's McCoy Estate Trees

Hi,

Ok, one looks like someone took a chainsaw to it to cut it down, thats the wedge cuts, initals get carved in all the time by people as the big "I was here at this time".
First these trees are not old enough to really have good signs. Also their in a place that people tap them for syrup. Must be back east somewhere!

I've seen pictures of carvings in trees in Alabama and Georgia that are of Spainish origins. Signs carved into trees are not permanant, a fire wound take these out. But if its the only thing to use, it was used. Most common thing carved into trees are flowers. Its really a map. The soon to be seed pod is the mine,the stem is the gully or trail, the leaves are the hilltops.
Then theres CODE, these markings are single glyphs piled on each other to make something that almost looks Chinese. But they have a meaning.

Aufinder01

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread