2 fn rock carvings...

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
arkolnrs, Yes its a carving alright. But to be honest to me it doesn't look old? However maybe you will be so kind as to tell us the story as to how you found it? And what state?

Stroover

Mar 28, 2006
Canadian East Coast
Ark, did you take those pictures yourself? If so, can you verify that the images were in fact chisled into the stone, and not merely scratched onto it recently? I tend to agree with Monk: From the pics the images appear slightly whiter then the stone itself, seeming to suggest a relatively recent carving (maybe somebody playing a prank).

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
Does anyone know where/if you can get like neon green or pink chalk?

They look white because I chalked them, so that the carvings would show up in the picture.

Again They are old, very old. I know for certain that they have been there for 50 yrs. and I have heard of the settlers in this region also finding them, and that was about 100 years ago.

Stroover

Mar 28, 2006
Canadian East Coast
Ahhh! You chalked them! That's better! The pics are not very clear and small. Is there any way you can blow them up? As for coloured chalk, I don't know about neon, but you can get coloured chalk anywhere they sell teachers supplies, however I think bright white is the way to go.
Just curious: Is this a big stone which is way too heavy to move? If so, good. If not, then bad. Is that stone nearby a waterway, like a river or stream? It seems like it could be a map. You mentionned it's by a valley. Is there a brook or something running through this valley? If so, I'd follow it in the direction of the arrow and on the same side of the river as the arrow to look for another marker. How far? Can't tell ya:The waterway and arrow are the only things I could make out of the picture in it's present state. If something looks like a sun, take note of the stone's cardinal points (the direction of it's lay i.e. north). Try to make sence of the pictographs.
It would help you to know a good geologist, as they could tell you approximately how long ago it was carved by the type of stone it is and it's time/wear factor. I'd even try to retrieve an identical rock in the immediate vacinity (without actually chipping off a piece of the actual stone with carvings) and bring it to your local university's geology department to have it analysed in this way. With this info you can narrow it down to who may have been living or frequenting the area at the time, and with a little research the pictures may give you specific meaning. Is it a treasure map? Maybe, maybe not. It could be made by native inhabitants marking hunting/gathering grounds, like cave art. It could be hidden treasure left by someone in the hopes to coming back for it later. Knowing the age of the carving is half the battle. The main thing is, don't rule out any possibility until you've tested each theory you can come up with, and have fun with it!
Sorry for rambling on for so long. I'll shut up now. ::)

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
The waterway you are seeing is actually a snake, I think you are right about it representing a creek, but it actually is a snake, with a very pointy head....like a venomous snake... and a arrow for a tail.

There is one main creek with a bunch of smaller ones running into it.

I was kindof being a smart *$$ about the colored chalk, I am sick of hearing they dont look old b/c they are white.....Sorry.

Any ideas on the turtle with the X touching it? Or the fact that the letter N touchs the turtle? ......HMMM actually not sure both of those pics are shown here......

Stroover

Mar 28, 2006
Canadian East Coast
Yes, I can kind of see your snake now, but I was refering to the line a little above the arrow to the left. Doesn't it look like a river? You have a turtle with an "x" connected to it's butt, below that a river, below that an arrow pointing south, no?

If on the upper left from the turtle is indeed an "N", then that rules out native people for obvious reasons, which is good in your treasure seeking quest. It could mean "north". A clearer picture of the items on the upper left would be helpful for us to continue helping with decyphering it's meaning. Also, I do hope you have recorded bearings with your compass and/or gps (but don't give us coordinates, for obvious reasons, after all, we all have a little 'pirate' in us). They may come in handy later if'n when you figure out the pictographs, as it'll no doubt point you in a specific direction as the arrow may imply.

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
OOPs I meant the n touches the snake.... You can see the other pic on here if you go to the post with the scroll bar at the bottom and scroll over the other rock is on htere, I have no idea why I am having so much trouble with posting these pics. On that one the arrow is touching the turtle.

It says 2 F N, and on another rock not shown here it says 4 H.

yeah I think that other sign, Ive been calling it an eye, is water too, BUT just for information guys, I learned yesterday that in (maybe egyptian, I cant remember) symbology a right eye means the sun and a left eye means the moon. Which I thought was useful info to keep in mind.

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
Hi Guys Im not sure if im see what im seeing did you bring that rock home and photo it in the yard?, if so never ever move any rocks from a site a big no no, it maybee a key piece to finding what your looking for and their orientaions may play a big part, soooo, dont take rocks home and dont move them, goodluck on the treasure trail guys tammahawk

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
Nope of course not, would be quite the feat to move these rocks, it could be done but not easily. there IS another rock, that I have not managed to get the guts up to go look at yet that some MORON did move to his yard, grrr, I plan on going to see it as soon as I think I can do it while biting my tongue, story is he found it in the middle of a creek.

While these rock are not giant they are pretty big- you would need more than muscle to move them, and they are in a VERY remote are on a steep hillside and I am not that big of an idiot.

digman

Jul 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
L-Rods & MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the dimentions of the rock?
Next time you get up there, try and measure the sides of the cross and add or multiply these lengths and check the result in steps in the direction of the arrow. If there is no success, substract from that number the length of the arrow.
Try any possible calculations with lengths. I have done it with success.
There also must be two different views, one sea side and from the other side something more straight? Look around. It seems to me that you are in the middle.
Good luck, Digman.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I tweaked the pic a bit. Maybe this will make the symbols easier to see.

Attachments

• petros.jpg
    petros.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 975
OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
Thanks that does help, can you do the other one also? it is in one of the posts above but you have to really scroll around to find it. Also, since my last trip out there the line that goes sort of diagonally from the edge of the rock to near the X by the turtle is actually an arrow, it is very clear too, I dont know how i missed it the first time if you look close at the pic that you blew up you can make it out.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
arkobnrs said:
Any ideas on the turtle with the X touching it? Or the fact that the letter N touchs the turtle? ......HMMM actually not sure both of those pics are shown here......

Yes. Is there any way you could e-mail the original photos (not re-sized with whatever program your using to resize them)? I need to get a better look at a few things. I see a part of the map I don't think has been mentioned yet...

My e-mail address is my screen name at yahoo. PM me if you need it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arkobnrs said:
Thanks that does help, can you do the other one also? it is in one of the posts above but you have to really scroll around to find it. Also, since my last trip out there the line that goes sort of diagonally from the edge of the rock to near the X by the turtle is actually an arrow, it is very clear too, I dont know how i missed it the first time if you look close at the pic that you blew up you can make it out.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of indexmmm.jpg
    Copy of Copy of indexmmm.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 837

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, looking at the pictures I'm in a firm belief that the X isn't an X. If you notice, it seems to shape 2 mountains that connect visually in the center of the X. The left mountain is also part of the turtle tail/body. I *think* this means to go over the left mountain, as the turtle tail is it's ridgeline. I believe the symbol above the turtle, the eye looking thing, means to look for something like a round rock on the other side, or it just means that this rock is telling you where to look. The latter is more likely. So my conclusion for this rock is to look on the ridgeline,other side of the left mountain when facing the 2 mountains.

The other rock has another turtle with it's front drivers leg (like that description?) pointing in the same direction as the 2 arrows. There's another arrow connected to a pyramid looking thing pointing the opposite direction. Also, the tail of the turtle seems to be pointing towards a picture of a bed with a round rock/egg on it. I think this means to follow the front drivers leg to a bed. Lay in the bed and you'll see a round rock. The treasure might be at this round rock. This might also be a rock to throw off hunters, so DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING without being immensly cautious. Try brushing the leaves away in the direction the arrows are pointing to see if there is any kind of trail or anything there. Another thing that seems a touch strange is this turtles rear passenger leg is nubbed off it seems. Not sure about that one yet.

Another thing you might try, if there is a river in the same shape as the one with the N connected to it on the fn rock, is try walking the shape of the N from the river where the N connects to it. See if there is anything there. The shape of the river should give you an idea how far to walk. Keep things in relative relation to their size on the rock.

Take some more pictures of you find things (without revealing the location of the site) and send me to me for resizing if you need to. Whatever program your using to resize images is leaving a big white area at the bottom of them. I have photoshop :)

In summary, look for the 2 mountains, go up the left one and look for a bed or any other markings. If you find the bed, lay in it and see what you see. Maybe a rock with an egg or something similar. Also, try walking the N connected to the river. Going North from that point on the river is way too obvious, and dosen't seem to fit the rest of the maps. Also brush away leaves in direction of 2 arrows/front drivers leg.

Good luck, and most of all be VERY CAREFULL.

OP
OP
A

arkobnrs

Feb 8, 2006
I love those suggestions and really appreciate everyones input.

The weird pyramid thing......are you talkign about the bow? if you are I feel so much better because it took me forever to figure out it was a bow but once you know it is so obvious lol.

Editing to add, so if I am reading you right you are saying that the X is sorta like a "you are here sign"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread