Jesuits marks and symbols

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
Re: Jesuit's marks and symbols

rangler said:
However they are moving on several targets and are up to speed on most basic codes now. Their problem is the final Omega Signs.Centuries ago they knew how to hide the signs in plain site - for instance, some signs were made to only appear correct after June equinox ...and sharply disappear after the Fall equinox.. limiting the time that the Kings men could recover the goods.
[/size]

All very logical, but the equinoxes are in March and September - June is a solstice. This doubles the time available each year.

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Thank you VV for starting this conversation.
I have a what if question and maybe somebody can help me out.First of all, what I know about the Jesuits is what I have read in the treasure hunting forums.From what I understand,the Spanish trusted the Jesuits to set up their treasure sites and mark the in and out trails to those sites.
Here's the what if question.What if the Jesuits had a treasure of their own to hide.For example,a large amount of gold or silver donated to their mission by local mine owners over a period of time.What if they felt the need to hide or transport that treasure due to political instability or distrust of the Spanish administration.Any treasure site they set up would be stictly for the members of their order to understand.Does anyone have any idea how such a site would be laid out and what type of symbols would be used, or would you just have to guess and try to imagine what techniques would be used.
I've seen a lot of posts mentioning how the symbol of an owl means there is a treasure vault near.I've read that the owl was a favorite symbol to the Jesuits.Would a Jesuit site have numerous owl symbols.Perhaps more shadow signs than at a Spanish site.Or more religious references.What would set a Jesuit site apart.
Thanks.Mdog

hadji009

Dec 29, 2008
illinois

(i have reason to believe that the caches and vaults they built had something to do
with the dimensions and design of Solomon Temple. Still looking find the peice of data
and links the vaults to this design.). you might have a better lay out with orion the hunter,it is the 2nd most visible,it is rectangle,2 dogs,1 hare,1 sword,and bow and arrow,and a bull.sure there r other similarities but it seems like we are seeing most of these carved in stone now.sorry didnt kno how to use quote thingamabob.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mdog said:
Thank you VV for starting this conversation.
I have a what if question and maybe somebody can help me out.First of all, what I know about the Jesuits is what I have read in the treasure hunting forums.From what I understand,the Spanish trusted the Jesuits to set up their treasure sites and mark the in and out trails to those sites.
Here's the what if question.What if the Jesuits had a treasure of their own to hide.For example,a large amount of gold or silver donated to their mission by local mine owners over a period of time.What if they felt the need to hide or transport that treasure due to political instability or distrust of the Spanish administration.Any treasure site they set up would be stictly for the members of their order to understand.Does anyone have any idea how such a site would be laid out and what type of symbols would be used, or would you just have to guess and try to imagine what techniques would be used.
I've seen a lot of posts mentioning how the symbol of an owl means there is a treasure vault near.I've read that the owl was a favorite symbol to the Jesuits.Would a Jesuit site have numerous owl symbols.Perhaps more shadow signs than at a Spanish site.Or more religious references.What would set a Jesuit site apart.
Thanks.Mdog

MDOG,

If that is what you have read, then what you have read is complete BS. Nothing against you personally, but before you read all the treasure stories, read some history. Let me explain:

In no place in the New World were the Jesuits ever ALLOWED to operate any mines or "businesses for profit". The job of the Jesuits was strictly to convert the heathen Indians to Catholicism and expand the empire of the Spanish King through "entradas".

SO...... there were NEVER any agreements as to giving the King his Royal Quinto (5th). No such agreement ever. You have probably read that the Jesuits were arrested and suppressed because they were not giving the King his share. That was not the reason.

Go to my website for the reality of the Jesuits:

http://1oro1.com/jesuits/index.html

Once you understand that the Jesuits were forbidden by law from mining, businesses for profit, etc, you will see something else:

Why would the Jesuits hide their wealth using the Spanish System of markings and monuments? Who were they hiding their wealth from? THE SPANISH! So when the Jesuits hid their wealth, they did so with signs and monuments that the Spanish would never understand.

Now, I know a helluva lot about the Jesuits. I know about their history. I know about how much wealth they had. I know a couple of other people that know more than me. I don't know ANYBODY that has "broken the code" so to speak. If anybody has broken the code, then they would be wealthy already. I know some people that have found some wealth:

http://1oro1.com/jesuits/rqfind.html

They figured out one place, but I don't think what worked there can apply to every cache. Maybe elements of it, but not everything. Anybody that claims to have figured out the Jesuit Code is full of it. If someone tells you that, then don't listen to anything else they have to say (unless they tell you that in the mansion they bought with what they found). HAHAHA

Hope this helps.

Mike

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gord said:
rangler said:
However they are moving on several targets and are up to speed on most basic codes now. Their problem is the final Omega Signs.Centuries ago they knew how to hide the signs in plain site - for instance, some signs were made to only appear correct after June equinox ...and sharply disappear after the Fall equinox.. limiting the time that the Kings men could recover the goods.
[/size]

All very logical, but the equinoxes are in March and September - June is a solstice. This doubles the time available each year.

OPPS :laughing7: :laughing7: :thumbsup:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Thanks for the information Mike.
I went to your website and found the information about the Jesuits very interesting and very easy to understand.I have started to read some of the history of the order and I intend to read more.
I was surprised that in the story about the treasure recovery that there were so few signs involved.I thought,for no good reason, that a church site would have a lot more symbols.
I would like to study this order.I am particularly interested in the interaction between the Jesuits in different parts of colonial North America.For example, was there any interaction between the Jesuits in the southwest and the Jesuits of Canada.I would appreciate some reading recommendations.
Mdog

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hola Casca, m amigo :coffee2: :coffee2: a few possible suggestive corrections. you posted --> the Spanish searched for gold using a wooden stick, come on, the success rate is no better than me using a metal detector.
They were well versed in this type of dowsing my friend, and it does work. Many mine records testify to this, and plant types.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you also posted --> . The destruction of sign, mines and caves being 'back-filled' in,
The Spanish practically never back filled. They would dig down to where the men could no longer receive enough air through the fire, then simply work their way back up dumping the rock back into the convenient hole.. No one back fills a worthless mine either.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Don Jose,
Amigo,
The only evidence that could run contrary to this is that in some cases they would build a log block at the entrance, several feet from the opening and put fill over the logs to cover the entrance until their return. This concealing the entrance was marked and was another aspect of their mining. It kept large animals from denning in the shaft and discouraged interlopers.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

.Good evening mi buddy gully. Let's have a bit of coffee while we sit next to the campfire :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:extra for any that wish to join us. Put that broken leg here next to the fire.

A) Remember the Jesuit actually taught mining in their colleges in Mexico.

B) Many Jesuit adjunctors, not ordained ones, actually ran the mines for many owners in Mexico, as well as the Jesuit ones.

C) While the Jesuits may have been publically prohibited from mining in the new world, they certainly mined in the old. So any prohibition by the order must have been for political reasons. Since the Adjunctors did not take the same vows (?) they were free to work in the society's interest thus allowing the society to say with a straight face " No we never mined". And it is probably true that most of the Mission Jesuits did not.mine.

D) In the second photograph on your websight, the detector is a Gardner 180 - 190 series, about $1,000 then (50's) when a white could be bought for $ 100. It was by far the best in it's day, and still can give a good run for ones money. It could discriminate and ground balance when most of the competition could not. The exception was an induction balance detector. As for usage, it had a fantastically well balanced physical configuration, this along with that 3 ' coil, allowed speedy ground coverage in "clean, open ground, but was useless in heavy brush.

I would like to have one again, that big coil would punch down 16 ft on a refrigerator. I found 8 mule loads of 8 Reales with one.

E) Regarding signs, normally I doubt that they made any that would actually say "dig here". They would be merely a reminder when in the area. Additonal data must have been required. As an example, when I was at el Limon, near Chinapas, Chihuahua, there were a couple of young men camped out near by that kept to themselves. they were polite, but distant.

After a few weeks, we finally did become friends, they then told me that they were Jesuits. (unordained ) and confided that they were looking for a gold mine that had been covered up. However they couldn't find it, even though they had all the details. They asked me to keep looking for them since they had to return to Rome. Naturally I agreed, but unfortunately they never gave me the final details ?? So, without the missing data I did not even try.,. so it is still lost. They have never returned. The mine is still closed.

Don Jose de La Mancha

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County

Hello Casca, I do believe that there was master maps such as the state maps,United States or possible such as county maps, possible to be 10 miles square, I also believe that each individual site had its own map with a couple of key points missing that must be found to locate a possible catch site.There is one in my estimation on Lost Horses site, She has several good points to share

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ladies & gentlemen: I personally think that you are trying to fit the various mines and activites into too set and narrow a package. Each had unique conditions in which they existed.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

O-O

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Springfield,

I am located in the south eastern part of New Mexico, about 45 minutes from El Paso, Texas.

I always look. Not just Spanish stuff. Some good info on here.

Since I believe the sites are all related, I just follow the signs. Watch for the pictures.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MD,

IHS has a couple of meanings.

1. "In Hoc Signo" which translates to "In His Name" (referring to Jesus). It was part of a bit longer phrase "In Hoc Signo Vinces" (Victory In His Name or Victory Through His Name).

2. In Old Latin IHS is an abbreviation of the name Jesus.

For the concerns of this subject IHS only refers to the Jesuit Order.

Mike

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011

Thanks Mike,

http://carljweber.com/ellingtonstone.htm

I found this in my research and I thought you folks might find it interesting. The way the larger cross is angled seems kind of different.

Also another symbol seems to be the heart and 3 nails.

Mdog

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mdog:
That's an interesting site find you made and the fact that the stone was not cracked apart by the chiseling of the figures is amazing. I mean, the stone is thin enough that one might think that chiseling the "1" or the "H", etc. would have caused the stone to break apart. Then, you look at how smooth and finely made those figures are; the person who carved those had a truly deft hand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread