Possible Indian burial cave

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesero Lobo Super Traq
Wandered up a canyon in the Fish Creek Mountains. Just about fried the last of the old grey matter. Ground thermal - 137 degrees to 140, squatting under mesquites - 122, standing 116. Interesting canyon with a few more caves that I didn't get a chance to check out because of the heat. This cave is where I rested the old bones in for about an hour. It was 110 lying just inside the cave on the rocks. I moved inside on top of the three inch layer of dirt and the temp dropped to 104. Interesting markings on the right side of the cave. I don't know if they're Spanish or grafitti. Stones were stacked up on the right side entrance looking like the cave had been concealed at one time. Just about gave up the ghost on this one. Looking forward to going back in.

Attachments

• DSCN0032.JPG
    DSCN0032.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,233
  • DSCN0033.JPG
    DSCN0033.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,222
  • Desert high temp 137 jpg.jpg
    Desert high temp 137 jpg.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,420
  • Spanish Symbols by Cave 2.gif
    Spanish Symbols by Cave 2.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,471

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
137 ain't hot man...........i feel for you...i think i would wait till a little cooler then get the duracells out and have at it,,,,,,,,,,,g

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's Anza alright! I'd know that cracked up bedrock anywhere. I prefer to go in the middle of the week. I have never seen a Ranger then. On the rare occasion I go out there on the weekend, I have seen them watching me once or twice. Some of those guys invest in 200X Binos, and can watch your every move from a long way away. You don't even know they are there. They're mostly looking for Coyotes and Dope Mules.

See, Border Patrol doesn't enter the State Park (Anza-Borrego Desert State Park). They only stay on the outskirts. There are three places where you can count on finding them. The Station at the intersection of the 78 and the 86, The roadblock on the Imperial Highway near the Hot Springs, and at the scissors they usually have a car or truck sitting in the shade (they are the only ones that haven't stopped me).

What part of the Fish Creeks is this? North by Split Mountain Rd? I don't see any of my favorite inhabitant of the Anza-Borrego desert; CHOLLA! ;D ;D ;D That's something I wouldn't mind see go extinct. Looks more like it's on the Eastern end near Superstition Mt. (but then again, it all looks the same out there).

Picture one look like maybe a burial cave. Maybe an old mine that somebody hid until the vein played out (but I don't see any quartz veins in the rock). Maybe an old cache site that was recovered. Depending on where it is, there are couple of stories that may apply.

Picture two looks like any one of a million old Prospector Coyote Holes. See my pic. Mine was taken in the Park Proper. There are a million little arroyos that are all chewed up from old timers and old Mexican Miners from the 30s and 40s.

There are also a lot of Spanish monument rocks in and around the Park. Take a look at my thread "Old Shaft Unearthed in Anza-Borrego Desert" There are a lot of pictures of monument rocks.

Mike

Attachments

• Coyote Hole 1.jpg
    Coyote Hole 1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,148

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use metal detectors on BLM Land, and rockhounding is permitted. Anza State Park ends a few miles begore you get to Split Mountain Rd, so you'll be ok.

The most likely use for the cave would be a granary. The old Indians would have put all the grain and meal into clay jars, and sealed it into a man made cave like this for the Winter. They would seal up the entrance with rock like that to keep out animals, until they were ready to bring it home.

Would have been one or two tribes possible. The Kumeyaay (Nomadic Indians). Look at a map inside the Park, and find Mine Canyon. It runs into the 78 in between where the road first opens up alongside "Grapevine Canyon", and "The Narrows". If you are heading East on the 78, Mine Canyon will be on your right side. Follow the dirt trail towards Mine Canyon, and you will run into a Historical Spot that is the remains of a Kumeyaay Village. There were also Yaqui Indians in that area. The Yaquis lived mostly in the area to the North of the 78 in the Park. Just West of Borrego Springs in the mountains. Look for place names, Yaqui Wells, Yaqui Spring, Yaqui Pass Road, Yaqui Meadows, etc.

Mike

Attachments

• Mine Canyon.jpg
    Mine Canyon.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,206

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DesertRat said:
Mike, thanks for the history info. There's something weird about the Fish Creek Mountains. Can't put a finger on it, maybe the geology or the past inhabitants.

I haven't been spooked by anything in Anza yet (except the gunfight with the illegals). The only place I have been spooked so far is the area where I found a 40-50 foot heart carved into the bedrock in the side of a mountain. Every time I go there, it gets my hackles up. Feels like somebody is looking over my shoulder the entire time I'm there. Very spooky feeling. That's way North of Anza though.

Mike

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
pic 33 has a broken heart near that hole, below and left of the hole, and it seems to be broken off at the bottom corner , I would think they are saying its a trapped floor or false floor, looks like a good area but theres traps, keep ur eyes open playing in that area also that small hole up and to the right from the main one has a small eye catcher rock near it thats where i would start looking for more sign or info and your 1st pic is also showing death trap symbolism i wouldnt be going into these entrances all im seeing is trap signs , good luck tammahawk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread