214.6 KB · Views: 526
  • oops.JPG
    oops.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 527

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Springfield, is that Daffy or a turtle thinking of committing suicide by jumping off of the Centurion's helmet crest? If he does, there's at least one witness to the deed.

Out of curiosity, is that a muleshoe or a burroshoe?

I'll bet "oops" is the sanitized version. LMAO

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Shortstack said:
.... Out of curiosity, is that a muleshoe or a burroshoe?....

Good question - it's the smallest I've ever seen. Reminds me of the horseshoe taps we used to put on our engineer boots in junior high school.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
Shortstack said:
.... Out of curiosity, is that a muleshoe or a burroshoe? ....

Good question - it's the smallest I've ever seen. Reminds me of the horseshoe taps we used to put on our engineer boots in junior high school.

LOL. I remember them. The second time I slipped and almost busted my a--, I went home and took them off. :laughing7:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they're boot heel plates, myself. All boot heel plates that I've ever seen and / or used had nail holes all the way to the ends. I believe I've read where horseshoes and muleshoes are made with extra length to the ends so the ferrower / blacksmith can adjust their lengths to the individual hoofs and have extra material to bend either up to wrap around the rear of the hoof or DOWN to make a cleat for extra traction for a working animal.

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
treasurechest said:
Springfield drives an old ford truck judging by the keys. My 89 ranger had the same type of key hahaha

Ha Ha, good eye, TC. '89 F150. Bought it new.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez-aloo, Springfield, the critter in that last picture would've made me leave paradise and to heck with finding any buried treasure!
Tell me what you were looking at in the first picture? I have soooooo much to learn!

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Well, Sandy, a lot of folks would look at that stretch of palisade rock and see a duck and call it a treasure sign. I personally disagree and would call the formation natural. My belief is that, with a few exceptions, the signs we look for are obviously manmade and don't require an active imagination to identify. That animal shoe shown in one of the other photos, lying in quite a staged location, is a good example. Someone placed it in a weird spot such that many years later a curious explorer (me) would find it and say, 'Somebody left this here on purpose'. Is is a 'treasure sign'? Probably not, since this area was heavily logged for mine timbers a hundred years ago and may have been placed there by the loggers. Could have been found by a hunter and placed there to mark a trail. Could have been placed by a hiker, like me. The point is, a human placed it for a reason. Since this particular area has some other 'signs' in the vicinity relating to hidden valuables, maybe it has something to do with those rumors. Maybe yes, maybe no. Bottom line: look for manmade permanent signs - rock carvings, metal items, etc. The 'looks-like-a-.....' rocks are fun, but, with a few exceptions, are of no value. My opinion only.

When you find something, take a gps coordinate. Later, plot the location on a map (mapping software or on a paper quad sheet). Keep track of these things - their locations may form a pattern or straight line, etc. with other stuff you find out there.

Also, watch where you put your hands.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Oh..well I tend to think the palisade gives directions of a very general sort..in case they lost their compass. Go that way for home.

What a great and scary pic of the Rattlesnake. He looks a mite peeved.

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprigfield, Your first picture is nice. Even the second one begs for an answer.

You purposely posted them, because you see interesting things on them. Even though you will not comment on them more, because of the box, and self imposed perimeters, you put on yourself.

You give more value to a rusty horse shoe, then to those nice pictures.

Please don`t take this as an attack on you. I am just so freaking bored, that I have not been able to find my own horse shoe, lately.

I still would like you to open up a little and take away the boredom. :coffee2:

Oh, I forgot, mine was a 1970 XLT Ranger.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield said:
treasurechest said:
Springfield drives an old ford truck judging by the keys. My 89 ranger had the same type of key hahaha

Ha Ha, good eye, TC. '89 F150. Bought it new.

Mine was a 1976 F150 4x4, bought new and driven from Mississippi to Fairbanks, Alaska in Dec. 1976.

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Pala Y Pico said:
Sprigfield, Your first picture is nice. Even the second one begs for an answer.

You purposely posted them, because you see interesting things on them. Even though you will not comment on them more, because of the box, and self imposed perimeters, you put on yourself.

You give more value to a rusty horse shoe, then to those nice pictures.

Please don`t take this as an attack on you. I am just so freaking bored, that I have not been able to find my own horse shoe, lately.

I still would like you to open up a little and take away the boredom. :coffee2:

Oh, I forgot, mine was a 1970 XLT Ranger.

Thanks for the therapy session, PyP. I hope you're not going to invoice me for your advice.

The area where the photos were taken is indeed interesting. The 'duck' rock is meaningless, imo. The old trail/wagon road to the top of the ridge, the large round boulder placed at the top of the trail and the old animal shoe (yes, I value the shoe) are most likely associated with the logging of timbers for nearby mines back in the 1880's or so. There are plenty of large juniper stumps in the vicinity to support that theory (the pine stumps have long ago rotted away). My old JJ buddy, RC, told me there is a substantial cache nearby before he died several years ago. He was a stunningly accomplished dowser, but his wheelchair wouldn't allow him to get close enough to work the area. Another guy, RS, told me about a wagon cache in the area that he knew about. He moved away before I could narrow the search area down - that one could be miles away however. Anyway, maybe there's a cache nearby, maybe not. It would be a good place to hide something. I like to hike around this type of difficult rocky/brushy terrain - you never know what you might find.

Of more interest to me is the fact that these photos were taken immediately above the natural travel route from the Gila River up Bear Creek to ______, where may lie the 'richest gold mine in the world', or so some believe. That's another story, of course. There are always more stories.

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Thanks for the therapy session, PyP. I hope you're not going to invoice me for your advice."

Nope, No charge it`s free. But next time I find myself in Juarez or Tijuana, I will get my certificate and then I might start charging you. If you don`t have a dog , get one, that`s all you need.

That snow yesterday was wet and heavy, the trees still had green leaves and many branches came down. I got to get that branch of my neighbors car. :walk:

"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
--Dave Barry

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield:
Would that "richest gold mine in the world" be part of that legendary River of Gold?

OP
OP
Springfield

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Pala Y Pico said:
... But next time I find myself in Juarez or Tijuana, I will get my certificate and then I might start charging you. If you don`t have a dog , get one, that`s all you need ....

Dog? I've always been dog rich. In fact, many of my best finds came as a result of following my dog to ruins, carvings, etc. Well, I admit that was good advice - put it on my tab if you don't mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions