• mine_or_cave1.jpg
    mine_or_cave1.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 1,015

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey welcome back! Ya maybe you're right.

But... if there's nothing to do at the cave then what are all the markings on the beech trees? What is with the piles of rocks scattered around? Seems to me to be more here (possibley)

If you can pingdis take as many pics as u can of rock piles and areas. Most importantly take a lot of pics of the tree carvings. If some are obscurred by lichen or whatever a stiff brush can clean that away for better visability. Also depending on the carvings you may want to "chalk" them to bring out the carving more.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, I have lots of pics of the tree markings/carvings. What I need to do now is go back with a wire brush and clean them real good and take more pics.

icefly

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been caving and metal detecting for 25 years. This is most definitely a plug. The surrounding rock and strata are tan in color and, my bet, is that whomever made this plug did so with chunk rock that was put into place and then mortared over with some type of available "cement". I say cement, loosely, because it is much like chinking that is done on a log cabin. They use available resources close to the cave to make a mortar to hold the rocks in place in the plug. What you have here is very interesting. However, like others have said, I would be very careful in removing this plug. I would walk to the other side of the mountain and see if you can find another entrance or at the very least, some sort of hole in the ground that would be a breathing hole for whoever made these chambers in this cave... I would love to work it with you... :icon_thumleft: PS, from your most recent picture, you can see the individual rocks within the plug that have had the mortar plastered around them. (You need to read up on the so-called Cherokee treasure cave that was put into place prior to the removal of the Cherokee people on the Trail of Tears. This area is correct in my estimation on where the cave was placed.- Northwest GA)

redman999

Mar 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Man

Sounds Like you are having good time, I ran a cross a old mine or two on the Cohutta but I believe the last one I found was further to the back of it than 15ft. It was like a hundred feet to the back of it. The one Im talking about is on the gilmer County part of the Cohutta. I also know of one on a creek off of Jacks River on the Fannin County part. I have not been to it in several years ( Which drainage did you find the mine) might be one Im familiar with?

Thanks
Redman 999

Pala Y Pico

Jan 18, 2011
Colorado and New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pingdis,

If the marks that you are seeing resemble my yellow outline....Hand book by Mary Carson says ... "RIGHT LOWER HALF".

You will have to decide, since you are there.

Good luck and be safe. :coffee2:

Attachments

• mine_or_cave1[1].jpg
    mine_or_cave1[1].jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 631

mgibbs420

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where are sum known caves in gilmer county, or sum old indian sites?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as a point of information; Carson Enterprises prints books that contain rehashes of other people's information. I used to buy their books until I discovered this fact. They not only printed other people's information, without referring to those other folks, but even printed the SAME TYPOS as were printed in those other books and articles. :flag_red::flag_red::flag_red:

Last edited:

diggingdeep

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take me to that tree and i will take you to that treasure if it is around anymore,,,want to split it,,

usernotfound

Sep 7, 2011
Detector(s) used
T-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take me to that tree and i will take you to that treasure if it is around anymore,,,want to split it,,

Might want to try to send him a PM. He has not signed on since 25 Dec 12. Or you could just wait until he/she sees this thread,but most likely it would be buried in other threads.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Standing on the east bank of large creek in the Cohutta Mountains of northwest Georgia stands a huge beech tree with this (and other) symbols carved on it. Just upstream from this tree and the same side of the creek is a cave entrance (cave is sealed about 10' in). Just past the cave on the same side of the creek, a smaller creek empties into the main creek.

It fits with this marking exactly. Don't know if cave has 3 chambers and a rear entrance per the possible "map".

Yes, that IS a map; you have a cave with 3 chambers past the small creek emptying into the MAIN creek; there IS another entrance to THAT cave in the WOODS... BUT! Entrance from MAIN creek is BEST. I think I see small symbols on beech tree... NOT sure, tho.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
THAT area of Georgia is LOADED with GOLD; some of which was mined. There was a U.S. MINT around there-about "back then", and some GOLD is still being found. HH! GOOD LUCK!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The beech trees with the carvings are referred to as "Witness Trees". Take a look at this: Witness Trees::Trail Trees::home.html

There is an old story that says, before the removal in the 1830's, the Cherokee gathered up all of their gold and silver and placed it into a mountain cave. Some say the cave already existed, some say the Cherokee dug the cave.

According to the tale, the cave was sealed and covered after it was filled. Much time was spent backfilling the entrance with earth as well as covering the entrance so that it would not be easily found.

The tale further states that that cave is why there were marker trees were left on the trail of tears, to mark their way back to Georgia where the treasure was buried.

Just an old story.

Have fun. Be VERY careful.

"Google" Trail Trees of Georgia... GREAT stuff!

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just from the markings posted it does not look like KGC to me. More likely an old mine maybe Spanish. The Spanish were up in N GA at one time. The rock piles would possibly indicate mining. The Spanish also traded with the Cherokee. Its definitely a very interesting site. Have you hit the area around the trees and the cave with MD's? That is the first thing I would do.

treasurechest

Mar 27, 2011
Hemet, California
Detector(s) used
I don't own one YET.
Those are perfect symbols. Keep going northwest until you see JJ carved into a tree, blindfold yourself and turn around three times while saying "Goonies never die" and draw a turkey foot in the sand. Follow the left toe of the turkey foot. It will lead you to a coniferous forest where you will find early Meso American drawings of Mothra. Sing the Succubus song from South Park 6 times. Three times forward, and three times backward while doing an Indian rain dance. When Mothra appears, he will fly you on his wings to the dog from the never ending story. You will build a cocoon and metamorphasize before you are worthy to speak. You must bow and address the enormous canine. His name is Falkor, and Falkor will take you to your destination. Once there, you will purchase a ticket for a ride on the Mellenium Falcon, and you will be dropped off on planet X13-69/ alpha_ B where the treasure is. Because where ever your treasure is, your heart will be also. Make sure you wear a hazmat suit, because these dudes weren't messing around. Have you even seen the 6th sense? Remember when they poisoned that little girl with pine sol? Yeah, Old School Spaniards, KGC, Kamakazies, and African Shaman had SUPER PINE SOL and when in powdered form, it could lay dormant over the treasure for centuries. By disturbing the SUPER PINE SOL, you inhale it and die. Not even the pet cemetary could bring you back

no, seriously, enjoy your hunt. That's what 99% of this is.

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have not used a MD anywhere around this area; on my last visit to the cave, I hit my head pretty hard on the low ceiling and sustained a cut that needed trip to ER and staples. Maybe a message was sent about being in the cave!

OP
OP
pingdis

pingdis

Jun 7, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Not yet.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
got dizzy reading that TC; btw, no gold in the large creek next to cave; have tried 4-5 times now; zilcho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread