Lone New Mexico Rock Carving (Black Range)- Opinions Welcome

WALLYDUKE

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
alright, creeper here coming out of the shadows.
started taking pictures as I have heard they can be quite helpful.

This was on a steep hillside, and the only thing I found which appeared to be hand carved and old. I've been going out just to be out there for awhile, only recently have I learned what I was seeing though. I'm clueless on this one though, never seen anything like it.

Approx 12" tall by 8" wide

Attachments

• CROP.JPG
    CROP.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,126
  • CROPNEG.JPG
    CROPNEG.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,134
  • thumb.JPG
    thumb.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,126

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WALLYDUKE,
Welcome to the "posting" side. Is this big rock shaped into any large figure? Is it beside a trail? I adjusted the lighting and contrast a little and made it a black & white to make any artificial shape "come out'. I circled a few possibilities and even put a square around a rock in the background with what appears to be a couple of letters. Those letters MIGHT just be limbs or twigs of the brush making those letter shapes.
I have not tagged any of the shapes on the rock because someone else may see something different, so we'll see what the concensus is. Some of those shapes may be caused by pixalation aggravated by the moss / lichen on the rock's surface.

thumb.JPG

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Black Range. East or west of the divide? High on the ridge or down in the foothills? Near any mining areas (Hillsboro, Chloride, Seven Brothers, Royal John, Lake Valley, Kingston, etc.)?

OP
OP
W

WALLYDUKE

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The boulder itself looked quite naturally shaped. I stood on a pile of boulders that looked like it could go down the hill anytime to take the shot. Not especially on a trail, but near a water source and possible encampment. I wouldn't see any reason for a person to travel by the rock, halfway up a steep hillside, but as i hoofed the game trails making sure to look around the rock formations, this carving caught my eye. As you can see, it looks like it was carved a LONG time ago, as the edges look very eroded. Thick moss nearly obscured it. Looked like I had been the last human to see it in a few hundred years. Thanks for the input all TTH.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I asked if it is close by a trail is because this rock could just be a graffiti "wall" where folks could put something on it to say, "I was here". Game trails would have been used through rough country in the early days of exploration because the animals have already figured out the easiest route of travel.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Welcome Wally, And I look forward to Wally's world. :) The rock seem modified to me. I do not know of the meaning of the carved figure but have seen similar. I notice there seem to be two figures looking at it. The left hand I can not make out what it is. The right hand...ah...very interesting. Among other things it seems to have a backwards J as part of it. There seems to be other stuff too some of which SS pointed out.

Who made it? Not sure if it is Spanish at all. Dump some water on it and take more pics.

Attachments

• thumbmknotpriv.jpg
    thumbmknotpriv.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 871
OP
OP
W

WALLYDUKE

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks again for the input treasure hunters!

Here is the full photo shoot: I arranged them properly, they all overlap on the edge of the large boulder.

Also High Resolution on the objects directly left and right of the main carving.

I think the background rock is being distorted by tall grass as was suggested. The rock was remarkably flat on its face and as a result the moss was thick on it's surface. A gallon of water would go a long way thanks for that suggestion.

Attachments

• shoot.JPG
    shoot.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,042
  • lr.JPG
    lr.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 967

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WD:
That bell-like shape in the upper right photo looks like a copy of the one in your original photo. Also, in the lower left photo is a man-made shape often used by the Spanish as a varification mark to show that SOMETHING at this site is a true code / sign. Sometimes it's a notch; sometimes a squared off "prong" shape done on the low edge of a trail monument.

shoot.JPG

OP
OP
W

WALLYDUKE

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Heading back in for another look...

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread (everyone but Springfield..)- you have given me fresh ideas and kept hope alive I may someday decipher the meaning of this carving. It's amazing how a rock in the middle of nowhere can weigh on the mind for so many years.

It has been over 5 years since I have been to this location but God willing I am returning for more reconnaissance next week, I intend to take many more photos of the carved rock, surrounding rocks and the vantage points they create, measurements of the carving, height above ground etc., and I will try the water idea as well thank you desertmoons. There is a water tank not far upstream from this carving and an old miners cabin about a mile downstream so I know people have have lived recently in the area. I simply cant imagine anyone would carve this with no purpose, and yet the symbol seems so simple. It is puzzling to have thought so much, yet know so little about this piece of lost desert art.

Through the years I have asked many people for their opinions of the symbol with astonishingly little feedback. Some people deny it even looks carved. My top theories so far are:

1st- It is a map or visual representation of a rock outcrop/formation or other marker ahead, possibly also giving distance and direction.

2nd- The symbol represents a snake or other animal which provides insight into the nature of cache/shelter/water source and may provide distance/direction

3rd - It was carved by miners in the area as a type of grubstake

4th- It was carved by Native Americans for unknown reasons.

These are listed in order of hopefulness, not likelihood.

Any thoughts, ideas or prayers for when I relocate the rock are much appreciated- thanks TTH!

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
Wally,

Take some pictures from a little further away. Shadows will also help here. I believe there is a face looking down in the top pic windomanmx pointed out. Those rocks do look stacked/trapped. It very well may be an entrance. I wouldn't move anything in that area until you have fine combed your photos. Will be praying for a successful, safe trip! Let us know how it goes.

molossus

Greenie
Oct 4, 2009
nowhere and everywhere in southwest US
Detector(s) used
na
Primary Interest:
Other
To consider

Intriguing photos, First let me say I am devout in the reality of markings and trails, having found my own over the years. I am not writing to discourage nor downplay your find, but offer insight into the necessity of learning about geology, erosion and natural factors which can create features that may mislead an open mind. In the end I hope it helps you in your searches.

In looking at your photos, I have to consider that it is not a carving at all. Instead a result of mixed geologic structure which was eroded and/or displaced by water/freeze and wind. After which years of water flowing over the edges have smoothed and rounded.

Over the years I have found many odd markings in rocks and canyons here in NM. It was not until I began to look at types of rock and effect of erosion on the various type of rock and strata that I realized some of what I had seen and considered in years prior were resultant of natural effect.

I present a photo of a similar instance also here in NM. Metamorphic geology, the triangle stopped me in my tracks when I first found it wanting to believe it was carved, (its direction even points to a mountain which holds a lost mine); but as I sat and looked at what made up the surrounding rocks I came to accept it was a natural formation. Had this same rock impression been located on a near vertical face I believe the sharp edges would be round and worn similar to your photo as a result of water running down over them and wind wear.

-N-

20150308_170537

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions