Question about bent tree markers

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
Is there anyone who knows where I can get information on bent tree markers? The History and who used them.

Is there any general guidelines for following them. Did they mark symbols in certain places on the tree?

I had posted a photo of a tree before I was looking for general information. I do not care if some people do not believe in Indian Tree markers (BowdeY).

I also acknowledge some trees are bent through natural causes, like lightning strikes or other trees falling.

I know Indians used them. Any information would be helpful. ???

Thanks

ericwt

OP
OP
ericwt

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
That is what I needed.

Thanks. You rule! :) :) :) :-*

RR

You might find some of the trees in your area are these kind.

The Key to treasure is knowing the trail. Outlaws and confederates used indian trails.

ericwt

Rebel

Jan 31, 2005
Yo! Rebel here: ;D Indian Trail Trees have ALWAYS been around... especially as trail/signal markers for Native Americans (AKA Indians); starting from deer paths... to Indian trails... to settlers "roads" to "Turn-pikes"... to "old roads"... to the Hghways of today; wanna see "pics"... go to www.trailtree.com/Tree.htm ; I think there was a web-site called INDIAN TRAIL TREES OF GEORGIA:
DYER CONNECTION with "pics" of various kinds of trees and purposes, etc. that I found VERY helpful... ;) Remember, they will ALWAYS talk about the "nose" of tree pointing in the direction, U should go; it is really the ELBOW... raise your arms "up" in a 45 degree angle and the "knob" is the "pointer"... thus the "bow" points the way... :D

Rebel

Jan 31, 2005
Yo! Rebel here: ;D Found my copy of that one web-site... it was DYER CONSEQUENCES (Dire Consequences ?!? ) Indian Trail Trees of Georgia... they had the BEST "pics", info, with HOME PAGE, TRAIL TREES GIFT SHOP; FAQ'S/INFORMATION... "PICS" & MORE "PICS"! ;D I just can't stop yelling about 'em... ;) They were at: http://home.net/~trailtrees/ Can't find 'em now... :'(

dowser 501

Apr 26, 2006
Hi by the river.Thanks for introducing me to "Indian Thong Trees." a little while ago on this forum. You gave me one huge surprise as they are here on coastal areas in quantities, used by the Jesuits in Victoria Australia, the Jesuits were prolific here mining and cachingfrom the beginning of the 17th century to the latter part of the 18th century.

They were very busily engaged in caching local mining proceeds of gold plus caching gold and silver from the Americas. WE have many miles of coastline with younger versions of Indian thong trees no doubt copied off the native Indians of the Americas. Going by the approximate age of our local Indian thong trees , the American versions must be at least 4-500 years old. Ours are only babies in comparisons, but are still evidence of early occupation of Australia by Spanish Jesuits. Thanks again for that valuable tip off. Max

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Thanks Dowser...and all others; another friend of Indian Thong Trees!

Once you see one you never quite get over it.

River

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
-- UPDATE --

Just tried all of the links posted in this thread. None work anymore. Too bad!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me either

404 - Category not found
You may not be able to visit this page because of:

1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the Record I can find many Bent trees around here.
I see them while driving.

Non of them look over 50 Years old.

To me this disproves anyone, other then maybe the Bender.
can trust they mean anything

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
-- UPDATE --

Just tried all of the links posted in this thread. None work anymore. Too bad!

Probably because ByTheRiver has been gone from the forum for almost 8 years now.

What questions did you have and I'll get you CURRENT links to the information, or send you the answers directly.

Be well.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
for the Record I can find many Bent trees around here.
I see them while driving.

Non of them look over 50 Years old.

To me this disproves anyone, other then maybe the Bender.
can trust they mean anything

Watch the video I posted in this thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...732-bent-trees-documentary-helps-explain.html

I can't speak to what you've seen, but I know what I know because I've done the "boots on the ground" investigating and have other resources as well.

BTW, I guess Bonsai trees can't be hundreds of years old either. They're so little. LOL!

Actually, some trees do have r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d (as in "slowed") growth because (similar to Bonsai) the shaping involves binding and cutting (including pruning of limbs) to achieve the shapes.

Done by lightning and another tree falling on it? See post #18 in this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/201286-signal-tree-pics-2.html

Keziah tree is proven to predate Columbus .... and the shapes are quite clear ...

http://www.ahgweb.com/mypics/keziah.jpg

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BTW, I've seen trees less than 10" dia cored that were proven to predate our Constitution.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, many trees grow slower than others, and many factors may be involved. Being a woodworker most of my life (mostly hobby), I've seen people training vines and even trees to grow a certain way. Read an article a few years back in Farm Show magazine that told of a guy that "invested" in making unique trees. He'd go out and bend them, check them periodically and, when he knew what he wanted to make with one, he'd harvest it. Was really fascinating! ...Just don't ask me where he was located or what type(s) of trees he worked with. If it was before yesterday that I read it, I wouldn't remember!! :BangHead::tongue3: ...I know of other people who will form willow, for example. OH!! And another guy who makes willow furniture, and will often make the willows grow in a certain shape for what he wants.

This is just the first time I've heard about people doing it to larger trees to use as markers. Pretty ingenious, if you ask me! Such a shape could tell a lot of information....so long as you know how to tell the difference between a manmade bend and nature-made.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the video I posted in this thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...732-bent-trees-documentary-helps-explain.html

I can't speak to what you've seen, but I know what I know because I've done the "boots on the ground" investigating and have other resources as well.

BTW, I guess Bonsai trees can't be hundreds of years old either. They're so little. LOL!

Actually, some trees do have r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d (as in "slowed") growth because (similar to Bonsai) the shaping involves binding and cutting (including pruning of limbs) to achieve the shapes.

Done by lightning and another tree falling on it? See post #18 in this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/201286-signal-tree-pics-2.html

Keziah tree is proven to predate Columbus .... and the shapes are quite clear ...

http://www.ahgweb.com/mypics/keziah.jpg

I'll take your Word for it. That Flute was driving me crazy at the Beginning of the Vid. :laughing7: & drove me away.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW, I've seen trees less than 10" dia cored that were proven to predate our Constitution.

Again, I'll take your word for that, I'm sure you know more about trees then I.

But when I see 10" round trees around here.
I figure they are all fresh grows.
because some I know for a fact are

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this ones not as Pronounced, or it's the angle
of the google camera. but besides trees that are bent like they are Pointing in the woods

View attachment 1411789 U.jpg

I counted at last 3 maybe 5 the other day that were curved like this
as i was driving home from the store. & all were near the same thickness,
Curved like that, and within maybe 500 feet of each other.
Driving 55 I probably missed some.

The area really never had people other then Miners stripping the land so :dontknow:

and there is a tree something like this , but with 2 going up on it there also

images.jpg

and the area is an embankment going down along side the road.
so no doubt it was never used land.

I'm sure in Some cases people did Bend trees.
as a Kid I used to tie knots in small easily tied trees.
Never remembered where or went back to see if they Grew.
Just thinking nature does the same thing at times :coffee2:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2013
Wyoming Valley. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment doesnt work jeff. i see them up here too in cow pastures . They are damaged (stepped on or bitten by animals) when small and young and if they don;t die they grow up bent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread