Tree Marking

racknroll

Jan 2, 2007
Can anyone tell me about this marking or has anyone else seen one like it???

Dscn0392.jpg

Aufinder01

Jan 13, 2006
The diamond shape mean "Something is 1 league away".
There are other signs along the way too.

Aufinder01

OP
OP
R

racknroll

Jan 2, 2007
Thank you for the welcome...i found the symbol somewhere in SW NM or SE AZ...i was riding in the wilderness area so i do not know exactly where the state line boundry was....

OP
OP
R

racknroll

Jan 2, 2007
i'll try to explain the area....when looking AT the symbol, i came up from the RIGHT of the symbol. it was a pretty steep hill. going on past the symbol to the left you get to the top of the hill and it drops off into a HUGE canyon. the only direction to go without falling off into a canyon is the way i came up OR keep going BEHIND the symbol. (not the direction the symbol is "looking"). since i am not from that area, i had no idea the significance of the symbol, i just thought it was cool so i took a picture of it. a couple of the guys i was with said it was a "significant" find but wasn't sure what it was. one thought it could be a survey mark or something. the reason we got off our horses and walked up the hill was one guy wanted to see if he could find a spring up there. he did find the spring but since i didn't go with him, i don't know where it was in relation to the symbol.

BigRich

Greenie
Apr 11, 2007
follow the diamond in a straight line behind the tree (not the way the diamond is facing) about 3.5 miles (or one league). you should find something of interest there. and look for any other symbols or markings along the way.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Kidd,

Depending on the time period that the mark was made would determine the distance that is discribed.
The league will be a distance of 2.2 to 3.5 miles.

It just depends on who made the mark and when.
But as Bigrich says... follow in the direction the diamond sign is facing AWAY from, not facing towards.

Thom

S

Smee

What species of tree was it? It's hard to tell from the bark.

What Indian tribes were in that area? May be treasure sign, may be mark from a healer or Medicine Man. Species makes a difference.

Also, was the tree bent or natural?

OP
OP
R

racknroll

Jan 2, 2007
SMEE: i believe the tree is a juniper tree. i do not remember it being any more bent than any other juniper tree there....they all seemed to be gnarly to me....apaches were in the area....i checked with people who are familiar with the apache because i like you thought it was a medicine sign and he said the apache didn't carve on trees much....that he felt it was spanish.

since i found this marking the people i was with at the time that live near there and ride that area have found some interesting things.....they have found possible other carvings and a possible route to an area where the rock is very white and powdery there seems to be gold flecks here and there in this rock..like maybe placer gold or something. they described it to me and i wonder if it is talc...but i haven't seen it. also, from one vantage point they could see two caves or "tunnel" like things on a mountain side across a canyon. however when they got over to that side they could no longer find the "tunnel" like things. so they want to try to find them again from the vantage point they first noticed them and try to point with a gps and get locations....

it sucks i'm 900 miles away and can't go hunt with them!!! but it is still fun to hear their reports back.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Hey rack, as a newbie i would also see if the upper part of that carving - the bark - matched the ridge line or the view when you looked behind the tree.

OP
OP
R

racknroll

Jan 2, 2007
ahhhh DM excellent idea!!!!!!!!! i will fwd this info to my friend in the area....thx :wink:

T

tulecanyon

was that mark near this?

Attachments

• 01010011.JPG
    01010011.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,032
T

tulecanyon

i forgot to add, there is an old story of a mule train of mexican silver gone missing in the area.
people in the stories i read, blamed it on the same people represented in some of the modern movies about wyatt and tombstone.
the cowboys.

OP
OP
R

racknroll

Jan 2, 2007
TULE: i don't know i've never seen that monument thing. i did a guided pack trip on horseback into the middle of BFE so i don't really have a point of reference to tell you about where its near...i know we started in NM and crossed over into AZ at some point but i only know that cuz the guide said "well now you're riding in AZ"....i didn't even know really what i was looking at when i saw the symbol. but thought it was cool so took a pic. the guide got all jiggy about it when i sent him my cd of pictures and has been back looking for other signs.

after looking at this site, i have one other really cool thing that was overlooking our campground i'll post it and see what yall think....

Dscn0388.jpg

OP
OP
R

racknroll

Jan 2, 2007
unfortunately no i don't. we had this area as our base camp and rode out from here....now i'm wondering if the diamond and this hoodoo may be connected.....

OP
OP
R

racknroll

Jan 2, 2007
OMG!!!! i reviewed my pics again from the pack trip and i noticed this!!!! (this board is great for my imagination...)

do yall see an OWL??? the above hoodoo is behind my tent looking over the campground we used. (cuz it had water) THIS IS LOOKING IN FRONT OF MY TENT....

Dscn0386.jpg

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
Wow - very interesting. It looks like there might be another carving on that owl too. It does resemble an owl to me too!

That other hoodoo looks interesting too. Besides the over all shape of the owl, I'm sure the actual carvings on it have meaning too - but don't ask me because I don't know!

Hey rack - was the ground sort of lumpy under your tent? Like..laying on bars of some sort? ::) When you folks used that latrine hole..was it realllllly deep? :D

Just joking, of course. But it seems you've found a few very interesting possibilities. Some say the owl is associated with something significant. . But time will tell. Since you can not get there right now, you might use google earth or maps.live.com to get a different view of things. Maybe your contact there can give you a lat/long reading to get you started. The birds eye view in maps.live can be pretty interesting.

Thanks for posting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread