Somewhere in the Anza Borrego...

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesero Lobo Super Traq
...I stumbled past this ten to twelve foot high slope of sand in a winding wash. Didn't think much of it until I saw the two symbols scratched into the surface. I thought it was a joke, left behind by one of the many desert minions who now creep across the desert in their ATV's. I swept my metal detector on the slope. What I thought was soft sand was actually hard compacted sand. I notched steps up to the small opening and to the right of it. M.D. kept beeping like crazy. I got down and reset my ground balance, reduced my sensitivity and still got strong signals again.

If I remember right, Kenworthy stated that a circle with a dot was a symbol for the number three. It wasn't a Spanish symbol for gold. Could it be a Mexican symbol for gold? I don't know. There's much more to this story up the wash and I can't tell all right now. In a few weeks I'm goin' back out with my new Lobo Super Traq and I just might bring a pick along for the hell of it. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to tackle this one will be appreciated. Alot of sand to move. Below are some of my more interesting finds.

Attachments

• DSCN0078.JPG
    DSCN0078.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 615
  • DSCN0018.JPG
    DSCN0018.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 604
  • DSCN0081.JPG
    DSCN0081.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 618
  • DSCN0022.JPG
    DSCN0022.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCN0027.JPG
    DSCN0027.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 630
  • DSCN0071.JPG
    DSCN0071.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 606

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
circle is modern. Dig anyway, see what it setting the beeper off.

That one picture looks like Noah's Ark :o ;D

dowser 501

Apr 26, 2006
desert rat,at the right hand top of the pic dsc 00081 jpg667-79 is a rock. I would not be ignoring that possible marker. All rocks in your USA deserts are Jesuit markers until proved otherwise. Having a look at the photo dscn 0022 of that grainy rock angling down from left to right, indicates that water used to push out under pressure from an underground water source. into that old river bed.
What you do in a case like this is follow the grain downwards ( to the right) to its source which is probably a cave entrance.(Hidden of course)
I am a cave expert (Speleologist) by 20 years experience, and if you like we can continue this conversation on Private Mail. max
24 hrs later.You do not wish to wish to continue this revelation of your find.
Incidently the white rockhard sand is calcite, a cement like substance which was removed from the long lead to make room for the treasures. Your MD sounding off like it did is quite normal under the circumstances, as the contents of the hidden pipe lead carry many minerals beside gold.You have better hurry because others might recognise your site at the old river bead.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
kenworthy might have said this when it really means that.....writers pass along information....hunters are not so likely to do so, and might pass along misguided info to throw others off.......kenworthy, if i am not mistaken, WAS A HUNTER......just a thought.........gale rhoads was a hunter also, but he states the circle/dot meant a few things, one of which was gold.........gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread