What do you think of this?

S

Smee

I am posting my pics after I have a chance to make sure the trees are authentic. This one has the markings for the tie down thongs and another mark which appears to have been where the bend was forced by a forked stick.

Snake symbols were used to mark medecinal herbs sometimes, so it may be pointing to a place that had healing herbs. The snake symbol on the west side looks more like the Comanche's snake except that it is horizontal instead of verticle. The snake on the east side (the one in the picture) looks more like a "lightning snake" I have heard about. Take a look at this page, about half way down the page . . . http://dirtbrothers.org/pbone/ --- there's a picture of a lightning snake at the bottom left which closely matches the one on the tree. Also, the west side of the nose almost looks like it was carved to resemble a reptile.

As for a GPS, Wal Mart sells the Garmin ETrex Legend for about $155 (on their web site $117.44 + postage). I love mine, and I downladed a FREE program which interfaces with it using USGS maps which are downloaded free of charge. The program is called "Trailguage" and you can download it here: http://www.trailgauge.co.uk/download.html

What I like about this software is that, unlike Garmin's software which is quite good, there are features on the USGS topomaps that are not included in Garmin's map software. Also, you can download the aerial photos from Terraserver (which is where the US Topo maps are downloaded from) and it will create a 3D flyby based on the topo data downloaded with the maps. Have been very happy with it. Trailguage may not be compatible with other GPS units, it was created specifically to interface with Garmin's GPS units.

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Smee

Very interesting article..I am learning so much from the TN site. Thanks for sending me this article. We need to research the symbols...not all of the trail trees have them. Through the symbols they used, we may be able to de code the language of the trail trees. Is there anybody out there who knows something willing to share with us, before the trees are gone forever.

Thanks
By The River

S

Smee

My daughter has been taking her tests for the state of Arkansas (Iowa Standardized Tests) for homeschooled children. So, we make it a kind of family outing . . . and spend the afternoons together.

Well, my wife wanted to take an old road we haven't travelled in probably 10 years. As we were riding, she spotted this tree in the middle of a pasture. The farmer (who I later found out is my Air Conditioner serviceman) had removed all of the trees from this pasture except for the one in the picture. I can't wait to speak to him to find out why he left it . . .

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 489

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
See

One more time: You made my heart sing!

Were you able to get close enough to see any type of markings? It is a magnificent tree.

If you haven't posted on MTN Stewards Database, please post for others to enjoy as much as I did this morning.

I applaud you and your wife for homeschoolling your children!

By The River

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread