HELP DECIPHERING ROCK SYMBOLS!!!!! OUTLAW TREASURE MAP?

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy!,

I have known of these rock letters for a long time. I always assumed it was just someones initials from the year 1955. But after some research I realized there may be a chance it is more. It may be 19 SS DB HW (WH) 55 . This is why I have decided to post on this forum and hopefully find an answer to what they may mean. The location of the symbols is just inside Indian Territory. The area was known to have outlaws come through due to the many rough saloons in the area. I have seen similar carvings in other peoples posts. I am hoping this will be the start to my first ever treasure hunt. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Rock Symbol 3.jpg

Rock Symbol 2.jpg

Rock Symbol 1.jpg

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it was a vacation group. Daniel Boone, Herman Melville and Sarah Silverman

OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
That was pretty weak Jeff. If you are going to make something up at least make it somewhat humorous next time.
Anyone with any real comments would be greatly appreciated.

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Howdy!, I have known of these rock letters for a long time. I always assumed it was just someones initials from the year 1955. But after some research I realized there may be a chance it is more. It may be 19 SS DB HW (WH) 55 . This is why I have decided to post on this forum and hopefully find an answer to what they may mean. The location of the symbols is just outside of Indian Territory. The area was known to have outlaws come through due to the many rough saloons in the area. I have seen similar carvings in other peoples posts. I am hoping this will be the start to my first ever treasure hunt. Thanks in advance for any comments. View attachment 952801 View attachment 952831 View attachment 952833
Hello loot. There is not enough context to decide if your carving is viable or not. Do you have any pics from futher away? Are there any other carvings or signs nearby?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello pinwheel,

I do not have any pics from farther away, but it is a hilly wooded area. There is also a creek and spring not far away from this spot. I don't know of any other carvings or sign nearby, but I haven't searched very much yet. I was hoping to find out which direction to search based on these symbols.

If you found these carvings what would your next step be?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOOT: I don't think those are two "S"s. My arrows are pointing to breaks in the line work that makes these shapes two "U"s with loopy ends. The other arrows point to breaks in the line work of the other figures that show they are not a "W" (or M) and an "H". The first is two "J"s and that "H" shape is two different shapes that are differentiated by the dept and width of the sections. I outlined a part that looks like it may have been an original part of the sidewise "T", just to include it for consideration. Check the tops of these stones for a compass line. That would be a straight line that is on a cardinal point of a compass OR even a quarter-point. If there is one, it will indicate the dircetion to look for the next information spot. That spot could be just a few feet OR is could be miles...........welcome to the world of treasure hunting. :)

The area that you've mentioned you're in is associated with many different groups in the past. From ancients up through Spanish, then old west outlaws, possible KGC activities, and even more modern actions. You will need to expand your search in the immediate area and try different things to see what works out. Modern graffiti will also be found in some areas that are easy to get to because for some reason, some people just HAVE to screw with things.

Oh, yes......that other photo is not a "B" or "13". It, too, has breaks in the line work that makes it look like it's really either a "b" with a reversed "c" above the round section OR it is a "6" with a reversed "c" above the rounded section. Others may disagree........YOU may disagree. That's fine......just look closer and work with what works. Until you find out what WORKS, you won't really know which of the groups built the trail you're on.................IF there's really IS a trail. :) See.....one spot with carvings does not a treasure story make. Enjoy the search.

And ALWAYS look at your photos from the fields from evey angle. After copying them to your computer, run them into you photo app and rotate them 90 degrees at a time and see if anything changes or comes out that you didn't see before. Sometimes, even mirror images will change things. Look at EVERYTHING before deciding on a course of action.

Rock Symbol 2--enlarged and marked.jpg

OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Shortstack! I hadn't thought of looking that deeply into the line breaks of the carvings. Now that I look at the H it definitely is thicker on one side.
It also is directly aligned with the cardinal directions (see picture).

This is a pretty large rock about 1/2 a mile away from the natural spring that was well know for a place to stop in the early 1900s for a drink, although there was no town within about 3 miles.

Do any of the letters you mentioned; T, JJ, UU, S, B, D, M have any specific meanings or is it all up to interpretation?

Rock Symbol Directions.jpg

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hello pinwheel, I do not have any pics from farther away, but it is a hilly wooded area. There is also a creek and spring not far away from this spot. I don't know of any other carvings or sign nearby, but I haven't searched very much yet. I was hoping to find out which direction to search based on these symbols. If you found these carvings what would your next step be?

Loot. I would return to the carving. Take pictures form different distances and different angles. A sunny day about noon would be best. Take pictures of the surrounding area. Look for context. If this is more than just graffiti it will show up.

Hey Loot. We enjoy helping you out and pointing you in the right direction, but you need to do the work.(Research) finding the meaning of those letters should be your own research. When you have done the work, if you run into a road block some one will help you out.

Pinwheel

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOOT:
I agree with Pinwheel about learning as much as you can on the meanings of the alphabet codes and other basic code figures because it will help you realize QUICKER when you hit a point in you searches that stops you in your tracks and makes you think you've screwed up. There are different signs that usually mean STOP and turn around, for instance. Those signs are telling you that you've gone past a turn or code location that you need to pay attention to.

On these signs, 2 "J"s where one is backward might be telling you that this stone is not the start or end point, but is in the trail and said trail runs in 2 directions from this rock. Why do I say this?? Because, when 2 "J"s are connectable to Jesse James, both "J"s will be correctly drawn.....in relation to each other. When a single "J" is drawn, it might be giving a value by it's "worth" on the alphabet code OR is giving that value PLUS showing the direction of travel to the next code point by acting as a hook. Think of a fishhook and what direction the hooked thing / person will move when caught. Two "J"s with one backwards, could be used to show travel in opposite directions on the same trail. A lot of times 2 "J"s will be drawn as a boat anchor......the vertical lines are back to back OR actually SHARE the long, vertical line.

If you haven't made a copy already.....find the Spanish Alphabet Code that has been posted in this section several times and take a good look and study it. It is NOT like the western english alphabet so don't even try that. There are differences in the Spanish code that are very, very important. Consider getting Kenworthy's books, all 4 if possible , but at least the one on Spanish Codes. There are at least 2 other books on the subject of trail codes that would be good buys, too, but they may be a little difficult to track down.

If you can't get those books right now, read everything Old Dog has posted on this forum. Also, Lost Horse, Tertiaryjim, Desertmoons, Springfield, gollum, and some of rangler's. These are not the only members who know what they're talking about, but good places to start. If you only read one person's comments, make it Old Dog. Then, read and study dsty's comments on drill holes. He's the most knowledgeable on drill holes due to his in the field investigations on that subject.

OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
I took some more pictures of the rock from a distance. Would you consider this a turtle? If so, what do turtles signify?

Rock 20ft.JPG Rock 20ft Outline.jpg
Standing on Rock.JPG Standing on Rock Outline.jpg
Rock 5 ft.JPG Rock 5 ft Outline.jpg

Last edited:
S

stefen

That was pretty weak Jeff. If you are going to make something up at least make it somewhat humorous next time.
Anyone with any real comments would be greatly appreciated.

Noticed that this is your second post on the same subject but with a different title.

You were equally as rude to responders there as well as on this post, which isn't a good practice.

Might want to rethink how you respond to those commenting on your posts in the future.

OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I accidentally posted twice, but I hate to remove the post because of the comments. That was my mistake. Sorry it was my first post.

S

stefen

Yeah I accidentally posted twice, but I hate to remove the post because of the comments. That was my mistake. Sorry it was my first post.

First off, don't apologize to me...

If you don't have the stones to correct your posted rude comments, at least seek out and offer an apology to each individual...

A once-overall-apology is not manning up.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2011
By, By Have fun.
Detector(s) used
Time to move on. Good luck everyone .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
I also found this carvings on a rock wall about 1/4 mile away.

BR Rock Carving.jpeg BR Rock Carving Highlighted.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
LOOT

LOOT

Mar 1, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
RockHopper, There are some dots on the large rock with D,B,H,M. The dots seem to get smaller with each letter.

Turtle Rock Dots.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread