Help. Is this worth checking further into....

TNglen

Feb 24, 2008
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    616.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 128

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I saw this in a big field while out delivering for the P.O. Haven't seen it up close as it is on private property. Looks interesting though. Any thoughts on it?

Looks interesting indeed.

Take you camera next time.

Possibilites:
property marker
rock with survey marks on it
heart with additional info on it (trail heart)
glacial erratic

Is the wooded ridge back there private too?

OP
OP
TNglen

TNglen

Feb 24, 2008
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am off tomorrow, may ride out there and see if anyone is around. Not sure about the wooded ridge either. I'd been by the rock many times, but never paid close attention. The area is toward the end of a small rural subdivision. The road ends at an old farm. I hope to check with the owner, and see if they are familiar with treasure rocks and such and if they have checked into that possibility. Thanks for reply.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
I am off tomorrow, may ride out there and see if anyone is around. Not sure about the wooded ridge either. I'd been by the rock many times, but never paid close attention. The area is toward the end of a small rural subdivision. The road ends at an old farm. I hope to check with the owner, and see if they are familiar with treasure rocks and such and if they have checked into that possibility. Thanks for reply.

YW!
Take a compass and note pad. If he gives you permission gather the alignment of that..and of the low rock to the right there. It looks like concrete but maybe it is a rock. Take pics of every side, then stand with your back to it on every side and takes pics of what you see. You can not have too many pics at this stage.

Was there mining in your area?

OP
OP
TNglen

TNglen

Feb 24, 2008
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1594.JPG IMG_1595.JPG IMG_1597.JPG

These are pics with a camera. I didn't talk to land owner yet, though I did find out who owns the property.

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
View attachment 1005203 View attachment 1005204 View attachment 1005205

These are pics with a camera. I didn't talk to land owner yet, though I did find out who owns the property.

Well looks like a trail to me. Think about it, you were on the "old" trail of sorts which is a highway. Here you see a marker for the same trail or for a cut off trail.

In the second picture, you can see another rock on the other side of the dell or hollow behind the big rock. That brownish rock seems to have an X carved into it. (It could be branches though.)

To me a few things on the big rock say go around on our left of the rock..go down to the hollow..then look around from the bottom of the hollow. Winter may be a better time when the foliage is gone for you will likely need to view something on that back ridge.

Now..given the area you are in you very much need to consider if the land owner might be related to former or current KGC type people. Has their family been associated with this land for a long time? Would be one thing to find out about. Treasure may not be the right topic to mention. Following old indian trails or something along that line might work better.

I see something like that, and I get that yen to see where it goes, discover the trail markage, try to figure out who made it.
I hope you get the chance to do that. Its very enjoyable. However I just get a funny feeling about this place that perhaps it might be related to something more modern, or was modified remarked by later groups.

There is stuff saying go to the right of the rock too..but to me the left side is what draws me first...

I guess because the big rock "carvings" resemble spanish markings in some ways..but don't strike me as the real McCoy.

I've heard tell of some really old old things down your way and this big rock could have started out for some really old unknown group.

If you can get permission, I would go for it.

dsty

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Randal County
Hello TNglen other than a Heart the other feature that I see is a head with a pack and a notched V or looks like a open mouth on the lower right hand side which may indicate the start of a Trail to the right, I would be interested in what Google Earth shows in that direction. Something behind the log pile ????

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNglen:
Are there any local Mothman legends in that area? That whole right side looks like a carving of a head, facing two-thirds to the right, that is not human. That left half could be his high collar. The dark shaped incised area in the center has the basic shape of a "mothman"......thus my question. Those 2 bulging, white eyes and the ridged crowned area of the top of the "skull" adds to the illusion.

bob632

Banned
Nov 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do happen to get permission to get closer, there is a small stone in between the rock and the log pile, looks kind of squarish and only a few inches high.

Look to see if there are any other stones at different distances around it, use the sun to find true north, and notice if the notches on the big heart shaped rock line up with the other stones or if it casts shadows on them.

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Could be a gun sight or sight rock. You look right though the middle and it points you at the target.

OP
OP
TNglen

TNglen

Feb 24, 2008
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies, all. Works been crazy lately, so time has been scarce. I think I'm going to wait for fall for further exploration when the vegetation isn't so bad and the snakes are thick this year also. Will post as I find out more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread